Sign in to follow this  
Guest kevin

oddball bob items

Just put your phone in a metal container and it will attenuate xmit/rcv.

Ok, so there are some great suggestions about items to have in your bag. However, after the first couple of pages I filled up a five gallon bucket. You'd need the bed of a truck to carry everything mentioned.

So, here's a question: How do you priortize everything previously mentioned in this thread? Put it all in a five gallon bucket, which is much more that you would actually fit into a legitimate BOB, imo. Or, choose the top seven (i.e., most important to you) items regardless of size/volume.

:)

That is a big reason the real bad guys (those who know what they are doing) buy the no contract, no frills phones in the grocery stores. Cheap, not tied to an individual and NO GPS. After a little use, throw away and start over - that way you are not traceable once you are identified.

The good guys use them, too. :o

Sincerest apologies.... I do not mean to hijack the thread.

Aw, as highjacks go, not much of a highjack. Besides, highjacking is in the best tradition of these things. The only time the moderator steps in is if it appears enough interest is generated to warrant a thread of its own, then he'll create one and move stuff around. He's a lazy, old guy so is fairly tolerant.:rolleyes:

I dont know that it counts as a hijack. It is a valid point. You just have to choose the things that will work for you. I think the point of this thread twas to open people's eyes to other options and things that thye might not have tought about. Or better ways to do things.

My BOB would fill up the bed of a Suzuki Samurai (need one of those!) But I keep very little of it in a bag. Only the core items. The rest is arrayed so that I can grab it at a moments notice in put it in the half packed bag. Am i bugging out for a day or two because of a gas main leak? Then I probably dont need the Sniper rifles and rocket launchers... Or the bush survival gear. I'd take water, food. meds, and bedding. But if 50 comets just hit the planet, I'll be taking a few other things... haha

Aw, as highjacks go, not much of a highjack. Besides, highjacking is in the best tradition of these things. The only time the moderator steps in is if it appears enough interest is generated to warrant a thread of its own, then he'll create one and move stuff around. He's a lazy, old guy so is fairly tolerant.:rolleyes:

Thank you.

Guest kevin

hey jumbo, feel free to hi-jack any of my threads you want.....random thoughts off topic are sometimes the nugget of info i'm looking for.

as far as should all the things mentioned be in everyones bob?....nope...each persons needs are different. the reason i started this thread was to see those differences. and a lot of you have some really good idea's.

as far as the size/weight of your bob, that differs too. i shoot for 15% of my body weight....i weigh 220 so my goal is to pack 35lbs of the most useful items i can into an easy to carry pack(load bearing vest and fanny pack in my case). should everyone shoot for 15%....nope...it depends on your abilities and skill level. i know guy's who could make it fine with 5% of their weight, but i have a wife and child to consider and i train for 15% and am able to pack it with a little effort.( they have packs too...and do well at 10% of their weight)

another consideration is amount of each item.....for instance bleach is very handy, but lugging a gallon of it isn't practical so i have a half pint in my fanny pack with the same of iodine as a redundancy.

we also have the option to stash/trash our heavy loads if "on the run" and have enough of the "basics" to make it a good while in our fanny/gotta have it packs......it's all about options.

another thing....be sure to consider the weight of firearms and ammo when thinking of bob weight.

Edited by kevin

Kevin - You make some great points, especially the bleach consideration. (I may carefully use an old flask for that). As for me and mine we will shelter in place until forced to evacuate. Therefore, the list of "oddball" items provides me a list of things to consider procuring. My challenge will be to priortize them and then determine how to package them if I need to hit the road. Appreciate everyone's input and your starting the thread.

another i keep is the full sized capri-sun containers, emptied.....the full size ones have a screw on lid(unlike the jumbo packs you punch with a straw) they fold up small, weigh nothing, hold 12 oz,and have a handy-dandy ring on the top to tie to your bob when they are full.....free water bags.

I carry 2 of the big cans of monster energy drink-never can tell,might need a boost,and when empty they make a real nice water bottle;metal so you can heat/boil in 'em too.

The small mechanics inspection mirrors. They are handy for looking around corners when exposure could become a "gray matter" experience. They also help look under doors for threats, whether living or just a wire. The inspection cameras are nice also, but cost is a factor.

A loop of ductape,anything that will make a handle,and a signaling mirror works for me-and I carry all that anyhow.

The small mechanics inspection mirrors. They are handy for looking around corners when exposure could become a "gray matter" experience. They also help look under doors for threats, whether living or just a wire. The inspection cameras are nice also, but cost is a factor.

NON CONDUCTIVE? mirror LOL

welding rods you find knock off the flux now you have bare solid wire

sharpened on a rock and heated it can burn holes through wood

make your own chain A piece of chain is good for repelling keeps your rope from getting frayed or cut on rocks or a pinch point.

end it like a safety pin clip is a bend and a hook use it to hang a pot with your chain over a fire clip stuff to your bob

wire skewers are good to cook with make traps buckles nails pins to tan hides it is wire a million and one uses.

welding rods you find knock off the flux now you have bare solid wire

sharpened on a rock and heated it can burn holes through wood

make your own chain A piece of chain is good for repelling keeps your rope from getting frayed or cut on rocks or a pinch point.

end it like a safety pin clip is a bend and a hook use it to hang a pot with your chain over a fire clip stuff to your bob

wire skewers are good to cook with make traps buckles nails pins to tan hides it is wire a million and one uses.

That's why Icarry 10-15feet of bailin'wire(ok,politicaly correct-mechanics wire) in mine-2 wraps of it hold better than 5 of paracord when making a shelter frame too.

Sonic Gernades, little noise makers that sound like a car alarm and can be set for up to a minute delay before sounding off. They are small and weigh very little, I have 3 of them. Could provide a very valuable distraction if needed.

Pull string firecrackers, can be used with a tripwire or on a doorway to alert me of an intruder, have to sleep sometime.

Backpacking bucket, folds up real small, can haul 2.5 gallons of water. Good for hauling water back to camp to feed my hanging filter or have handy in case a fire needs doused. Got one for my bag and one for my girlfriends in different colors, thinking blue for drinkable water and red for unsterilized. Weigh about 3 or 4oz each.

I carry some stainless steel wire, we used to call "safety wire" its very thin (.032 inches) and has EXACTLY 3 million and one uses. Don't ask me for a list! You can make everything from fish hooks and leaders to restraints and garrottes. Of course you can also wire things together with it.