Sign in to follow this  
Guest kevin

oddball bob items

A CD. It makes just about the best signal mirror there is and costs much less than those special built things. Not quite as robust perhaps but does an excellent job.

Use is very easy. I'm right handed so I take the disk in my right hand, grooved side facing away from me. I make a V with the first two fingers of my left hand. I place the target I'm trying to signal in the V, look through the center hole of the CD and move the reflection of the sun up and down the extended fingers of the left hand. The target is ALWAYS flashed that way.

When it comes to apps, I found one when I first got my iPhone simply dubbed "survival guide". It claims to be the official us military survival guide. I dig it.

As for oddball items, I've put together a quick, garunteed, fire kit. Vaseline coated cotton balls, tinder, and kindling..all kept dry as a bone safely in my bag. If I find my self in trouble I don't want to have to stress over an easy fire.

Guest kevin

another i keep is the full sized capri-sun containers, emptied.....the full size ones have a screw on lid(unlike the jumbo packs you punch with a straw) they fold up small, weigh nothing, hold 12 oz,and have a handy-dandy ring on the top to tie to your bob when they are full.....free water bags.

another i keep is the full sized capri-sun containers, emptied.....the full size ones have a screw on lid(unlike the jumbo packs you punch with a straw) they fold up small, weigh nothing, hold 12 oz,and have a handy-dandy ring on the top to tie to your bob when they are full.....free water bags.

Great idea Kevin.

Ok we are even ...I can do that one..

One odd thing that i have recently added to each pack is a replacement slide release buckle. If a buckle breaks while the pack is in use then u are forced to use your duct tape/para cord/zip ties to fix the problem. $2.50-3.00 each. and i can save my duct tape/para cord/zip ties for other jobs.

i prefer using my ipod touch for storing survival info if i can find it anywhere on the internet i can do a screen shot and save it right on the hard drive plus no contracts and much more affordable another plus is if the government tracks anybody looking at survival sites on the web they wont even know my name unless i sign up for things such as itunes or warranty etc. and i really love how i can set my wallpaper with any screen shot very useful if i type in something and i need quick acces to it

I haven't noticed any one mention a small funnel. Can be useful when you try to wring out your sponge or whatever to fill your canteen.

I like the small funnels sold for filling gas lanterns. They are small and very compact, plus alot are collapsible.

Guest kevin

heavy duty aluminum foil. not only cooking but it can come in handy for lots of uses. like making a funnel if yours gets lost.......and brain protection from the aliens.:rolleyes:

heavy duty aluminum foil. not only cooking but it can come in handy for lots of uses. like making a funnel if yours gets lost.......and brain protection from the aliens.:rolleyes:

LOL... I am safe there... no brains. Zombies would starve if I was all that was left.

i got a mini crossbow pistol (well actually a few of them) but the arrows are a little flimsy the tips come off too easy. id like to find some nice razor tips for them..i guess thats a specialilty item though,,guess i ll have to make my own arrows or bolts for them out of bamboo skewers...oregon chick, epi pen a must for our household. i keep a few spares in case, also a good thing to have is a 3 or 4 month supply of any prescription meds you use on a regular basis..wallgreens good for this only. also i keep a minitool kit in both bobs. neer know ..

The small mechanics inspection mirrors. They are handy for looking around corners when exposure could become a "gray matter" experience. They also help look under doors for threats, whether living or just a wire. The inspection cameras are nice also, but cost is a factor.

i was going threw the bobs yet again this morning(searching for my fire piston) and got to thinking that, to many of our members, some of the things in there would seem very strange because they are suited to MY situation.

examples:

1.fencing pliers. here in east Texas if you walk a mile down any country road you more than likely have walked past 8 miles of barbed wire. both sides of the road are lined with fences that have 4 strands of wire each(two wires per strand..16 miles i guess) you can find the stuff in just about any plot of woods too. how handy would that be? the pliers have not only wire cutters but also a small hammer,staple puller hook and are built to "roll" helping pull the wire tight.

2.half used welding rods. handy little round pieces of metal, i use them for everything from trap triggers to frog gigs.

i'm sure you guys have things in your bobs that would seem strange for my needs too......what are they?

Kevin,the fencing pliers,many tools in one,in my opinion,a very good tool to have, I also have a pair of welding gloves and a roll of copper wire,you`ll be surprise of how many people have never seen or used a

fencing plier.

I wish I could remember who mentioned it because it was ingenious a pencil sharpener

I went one better and got the one that sharpens regular big and flat carpenters pencils from

home depot a small screw top medicine bottle to save the shavings for fire starter.

in case power is still available I have a solar charger and a few sets of batteries for my MP3 player

carries 16 MB of songs jokes and some other stuff. and a couple of pairs of ear buds

as technology get better I am hoping for a 250 to 500 gig MP4 player with long battery life

as I have a couple hundred + movies in this format and it would have to be more durable

than what is available now and I like AAA batteries or AA all these others are too much extra to

carry coin batteries are rechargeable but not reliable as they can leak after a few recharges

they talk about green and then they make crap with non replaceable batteries and odd ball

ones it makes no sense with the standard batteries and miniaturized electronics battery consumption

should be minimal you don't need a 100 watt boom box my MP3 player batteries and ear buds all fit in a

water proof case 2X a cigarette pack and the batteries also fit my flashlight and emergency radio

that can charge them with a hand crank

the only other Odd ball I carry is a 9 volt pack lite because it can give you minimum of 80 hours of light

much more on low setting if you ever been lost in a cave this would be your best friend I have been spelunking

and just like bugging out all you have is what you brought.

and back in my day it was never enough now technology has given us more amazing things and we preppers need to take advantage of miniature and long life batteries and electronics.

look at the shelf life of 9 volt batteries and most every home has a smoke detector so finding them won't

be a problem IMO.

here is a site not the only ones who sell pak lite but the information on battery life and different styles

is very important for those who want a secondary light with long function on one battery.

http://www.bestglide.com/pak_light_led_light.html

I wish I could remember who mentioned it because it was ingenious a pencil sharpener ]

Your welcome JCMS. I mentioned that i carry one in each fire starting kit to make tinder quick. It was an idea that i picked up from a fellow backpacker.

hi all

chlorox works,but i prefer iodine.works better on wounds.for some even works with fallout.good for the thyroid.food grade hydrogen peroxide,also purify's water.it also can be used antiseptic,cleaner,laundry.so it can multi-task.it was so effective in the late 18's,early 19's the pharma companies got it removed from the shelves.food grade is 8%,where the brown pharma type is 3%,but don't drink it.8% has to be watered down.

Hmmm...didn't think the GPS locator would work if the phone was turned off.

The only time a modern electronic device is fully off is if the power (battery/line cord) is completely removed from the item (if a battery backup is there, maybe not even then). Same for things like On-Star; just because you didn't push any buttons doesn't mean the internal mics are not on. Just because you aren't subscribed to the service doesn't mean it is off. Cell phones are the same way, if there is a battery in the pack, it is able to communicate.

That is a big reason the real bad guys (those who know what they are doing) buy the no contract, no frills phones in the grocery stores. Cheap, not tied to an individual and NO GPS. After a little use, throw away and start over - that way you are not traceable once you are identified.

Oh, even without GPS your cell phone is traceable. Modern electronics use clocks that are fast enough to triangulate within a few feet just on the arrival time of a signal at 3 cell towers site - only 2 needed if an approximate location is good enough.