Sign in to follow this  
Guest kevin

oddball bob items

Guest kevin

i was going threw the bobs yet again this morning(searching for my fire piston) and got to thinking that, to many of our members, some of the things in there would seem very strange because they are suited to MY situation.

examples:

1.fencing pliers. here in east Texas if you walk a mile down any country road you more than likely have walked past 8 miles of barbed wire. both sides of the road are lined with fences that have 4 strands of wire each(two wires per strand..16 miles i guess) you can find the stuff in just about any plot of woods too. how handy would that be? the pliers have not only wire cutters but also a small hammer,staple puller hook and are built to "roll" helping pull the wire tight.

2.half used welding rods. handy little round pieces of metal, i use them for everything from trap triggers to frog gigs.

i'm sure you guys have things in your bobs that would seem strange for my needs too......what are they?

a tennis ball for line throwing to guide a length of paracord over a limb then use it to pull over a heavier rope or cable.

it is also a good coin purse type holder for small items if your crafty you can glue a socket for a bow drill in it

makes a comfy holder and keeps the drill from slipping out if you break some fingers it is a good splint

immobilizer and other uses.

Kevin, You hit the nail on the head about fencing pliers (no pun intended). I have a pair of "Lineman" pliers made by Channel lock in my Bob and my truck box. They are indespensible for everything, I've even re-set a horse shoe with them before.

My GHB/EDC has Fence Cutters... Any highway or interstate around here has a chainlink on either side of the road, so rather than walking all the way aroud to the next exit, ill just run across the road and cut a whole in the fence.

I was in BassProShop yesterday and grabed a Orange mini-shovel (pooperScooper)

BEANO... no more info needed.

At least 3-4 "extra" garbage bags (the black ones sized for hauling yard debris, or even better, the construction grade ones). It's so wet here, and these can be used as a barrier if you need to sit/camp out on wet ground, they work as a makeshift rain poncho or windbreaker to keep water off clothes and trap heat close to your body, filled with dry leaves/clothes they can be a makeshift sleeping bag, in multiples you can use them like a tarp to construct temp shelters, you can also put them down if you need a clean surface to prepare food or administer first aid, and of course, they are useful if you need to haul anything that isn't too heavy and needs to remain dry.

Two things I am seriously considering:

• Epipen (at least two) just in case
  • Plastic universal handcuff key (not that I intend to be arrested, but if push comes to shove, being able to extricate yourself could be important)

At least 3-4 "extra" garbage bags (the black ones sized for hauling yard debris, or even better, the construction grade ones). It's so wet here, and these can be used as a barrier if you need to sit/camp out on wet ground, they work as a makeshift rain poncho or windbreaker to keep water off clothes and trap heat close to your body, filled with dry leaves/clothes they can be a makeshift sleeping bag, in multiples you can use them like a tarp to construct temp shelters, you can also put them down if you need a clean surface to prepare food or administer first aid, and of course, they are useful if you need to haul anything that isn't too heavy and needs to remain dry.

Two things I am seriously considering:

• Epipen (at least two) just in case
  • Plastic universal handcuff key (not that I intend to be arrested, but if push comes to shove, being able to extricate yourself could be important)

I agree never hurts to have a plastic handcuff key.

FWIW, I usually keep two military ponchos in mine. They do all the things the garbage bags do (except hold trash). Help hide your location a little better if you use it as shelter, and holds your gear better if you need to cache it in a tree

Something else I was thinking about the other day...

Most of us have smart phones...and I realize that they could crap out and be useless. But until then, has anyone else thought about useful apps?

Two examples would be iTriage and WebMD.

Edited by vonBayern

Guest kevin

bleach is in mine too dog,plus iodine....same reasons for both.

imodium ad is one thing i think should be in everyone's bob.....diarrhea is a killer. losing both liquid and calories when your bugging out isn't a good idea. and due to the stress and ,i'm sure, a big change in diet it may be something that has to be dealt with.

FWIW, I usually keep two military ponchos in mine. They do all the things the garbage bags do (except hold trash). Help hide your location a little better if you use it as shelter, and holds your gear better if you need to cache it in a tree.

Good points! I may have to look into those as a more functional alternative. And in a SHTF scenario, function does tend to be the big priority!

Something else I was thinking about the other day... Most of us have smart phones...and I realize that they could crap out and be useless. But until then, has anyone else thought about useful apps?

Apps that don't connect directly to the cellular network or internet should still work even if the network crashes (for example, ones that let you listen to music stored on your phone, single player games, etc.). You can also use your smartphone as an external storage device for keeping (and browsing through) useful documents you've downloaded. Most phone models have at least a couple gigabytes' worth of on-board storage, and most provide removable-drive-like capabilities when plugged into a USB port (although you need to download a third party utility to do that with iPhones).

Also, if GPS satellites are still functioning - which they would be for some time post-TEOTWAWKI, even if the cell network goes kaput, unless we're talking about a big solar EMP event - you should still be able to use any GPS app on your cell phone that uses something called aGPS (instead of plain GPS) to find your location and provide directions. A key thing if you're going overland instead of going to be navigating by simple roads is to make sure your GPS doesn't rely on GoogleMaps. Instead look at something like BackCountryNavigator, which relies on topographic maps and those from the US Geological Survey.

There's also a company called Sygic who makes apps designed specifically to download onto a phone and NOT rely on cellular coverage. Their apps don't work on all smartphones (heard of problems with the Android, at least), and the initial download of their map apps takes a LONG time because they are literally downloading all of their maps into your phone. But that could be an invaluable resource to help you get to a BOL.

Obviously, you'd need to make sure you have a way of charging your phone (thankfully, there are devices that are essentially a battery that you can plug your devices into in order to charge them when no electrical outlets are available, and there are many new solar charging stations available out there too).

I have 2 golf balls with para cord(4 ft.) Max welded togeather(yes i drilled out small holes),and rubber sprayed for no flash off the white.

Like JCMS They can be used to hurl a rope.

Oh ok so It makes a decent weapon too.Have you ever been hit with a golf ball?ouchey..

Guest kevin

i like that one matt....and i'm stealing it......tie three together and you've got a bolo too.

I can't imagine ANY other use for it. <pause> Yep, my mind draws a complete blank.

:o

well then you may be either extremely sheltered or terribly unimaginative. ( ok that was purely a joking comment.)

but honestly out side of dirty uses those stupid little keys actually unlock a lot of luggage and such

Zip lock bag ties. Big ones, small ones, in between ones. I've been a devoted fan of bagties since I got my first Jeep. For a while, my air intake was held on with them, my fire extinguisher, my speakers, etc

Nose spray and saline.... Up until my allergy treatments I had HORRIBLE allergies.

Rubber bands, back up pair of earbuds for my phone, a can of peaches (plus all the food bars I usually have squirrelled away), a small towell....

That's pretty much the "odd" stuff I carry.