Sign in to follow this  
Rivet

Review: Yoders Canned Bacon

So I thought I'd give the Yoders Canned Bacon a try. I don't normally eat bacon these days because, well, its not exactly health food. Still, its worth a go. The nutritional information may be found here. The following is an informal review.

It comes in cans slightly larger than a standard Campbell's soup can:

YodersBaconOutside.jpg

Once cracked, I found the bacon is wrapped in butcher's paper. There are two layers:

YodersBaconPaper.jpg

YodersBaconUnwrapped.jpg

Its slightly less thick than store bought and a lot less than the "thick" cut brands of bacon. It fried up fast:

done.jpg

So, how did it taste? Good ... darn bacon good. In fact, it was hardly different than the bacon you'd pick up in the local super market.

The only big negative I see is that its not real cheap. Emergency Essentials, for example, has it for $14.75 a can. There are about 50 slices per can. I suppose one could do some serious number crunching as to how much proteins and fats you get versus something else, but I haven't analysed it yet.

At the end of the day, if you are a bacon fan, this might be something to stockpile. Personally, I can see putting some cans away, but will be focusing on other sources for large quantities. If I could find a similar product for much cheaper, though, I could see storing more. Hope this review helps y'all.

I think I'll just stick with the five gallon bucket of lard for the grease and stuff and fry spam in it! LOL. 14 bucks is a little rich for my blood. The problem is that in a survival situation you have to use it or lose it once it is opened. Now don't get me wrong, I would never let a piece of bacon go to waste but 50 slices would be pretty much overkill.

We tried the Oscar Mayer precooks no refrigeration needed and found it to be pretty good for BLTs and to season scrambled eggs and gravy. Even better (Price wise) is the Kroger brand knock off. It's less than 4 bucks a box. My wife likes it because you can have instant gratification at lunch without heating up the house.

Saddly bacon will be one of those things that I will do without for a while if the poop hits the fan. The good news is that Texas is freaking INFESTED with wild hogs. I'll pop a sow and eat her and keep some little piglets. Just as domestic pigs go feral, Feral pigs will return to being domestic. A pig is a valuable part of any home based survival enterprise. They "recycle" anything that you don't eat including most of the scraps from butchering and give it back to you as meat. I won't even bother with a boar. You just put Petunia out with a shackle on her ankle and the Don Juan of the forest will come visiting her. I know several people that have had wild boars break into their pig pen to court the domestic ladies.

Think I paid about $144 for a case of Yoders Bacon earlier this year.

Also got a case of Banner canned sausage. Haven't tried either one.

Just got them to put them away for a rainy day, know whutImean?

Just thinking of what could happen, and it would be nice to have some

comfort foods. Although, I much like yourself don't eat much bacon either.

I did make a big pan of beef/gravy the other morning (S.O.S.)

Thanks for the trial run Rivet.

Bacon, as long is kept in lard,it will last forever,now canned bacon is not bad,but expensive,so why not canned your own,get good deals on thick bacon,wrap it in parchment paper,and pressure canned it in a wide mouth

mason jar for 90 minutes,same thing with fry chunks of pork meat(no salt/pepper),stored it in a can with a tight lid cover in lard,will last forever,and will be tender.Been doing that since I was a child,we had no refrigeration at the farm.

I have tried and tried to talk the wife into canning bacon. She will can EVERYTHING she can fit in a jar but not meat.

Hey Rivet? Wasn't that bacon pre-cooked?

Edited by Hossfly