Sign in to follow this  
Mike Uher

Torn, what do you think?

Which would you rather use for a BOB or TEOTWAWKI bag. An assault style pack, or a straight up ruck? I like the light weight of the assault style packs, but I also like the carriage of the rucks. this question arises due to the fact that I recently bought a new pack (an assault style pack) for school, and camping hiking and such, and I actually really like it. i can already see what I would do to make it more BOB friendly. The problem is, it is an assault pack, so it is not meant to carry 100 pounds of survival gear. So the question arises, do I trim the fat on my gear, hone in what I need, and stick it in the assault pack, or take all the things I want, and stick it in the Ruck. My military training is telling me to ruck it, but my practical side is telling me to go light (kids are heavy enough as it is). What do you think? Light weight assault style pack, or ruck as a BOB/TEOTWAWKI bag? Just as an FYI, I have a Rush 12 from 5.11, and Blackhawk Patrol Pack, an ALICE Mountain Ruck, and a medium ALICE pack. These are my options. Thoughts?

That depends if you bug out is it a I'm never coming home situation or are you bugging out of work/school to get home. If your never coming home and expect to live off the contents of the pack I would lean towards the ruck. If you have all your gear at a bug out location then the assault bag if it's adequate to get you there. But consider that in a chaotic situation with people panicking and fighting for the last can of corn large backpacking or military packs will stand out in the mob. So be gone before things get that bad.

On related stories. I remember a guy I would often bike past on my way home. The most memorable thing about him was his coyote tan backpack with unused molle straps and a tag stating the model as "Bug Out Bag". 90% of the people out there wont get it but the 10% that do have good reason to think you have supplies and might be armed.

Different story was of a mans escape from hurricane Katrina. He walked out of the city with a small camel pack with some food and water hidden under a wind breaker and a revolver in his pocket. Not my story so I'm a little fuzzy on the details.

Anyway just thought I'd share.

Good point autonomous. Being covert, or the man in gray as I remember seeing here in the Survival Cache, is a legit way of going about business. I have been wondering about that myself, and how i would do it. But I feel that a little overt is acceptable in some circumstances. If the block has a neighborhood watch after a disaster, residents sporting their personal weapons openly may deter nefarious individuals from messing with the group. And looking the part of a serious individual could make people think twice. Using it as a book bag, i have some get home materials in it, food, basic necessities, etc. But the pack is beginning to sell me on it as a BOB. Even as loaded as I have gotten it, probably thirty pounds worth of stuff (textbooks are heavy) it is still a very comfortable pack. Way better than the things I was issued. Has room for a bladder in it, and enough capacity to carry just about anything I would need in a light BOB. It is starting to win me over. If only it didn't have zippers. But they seem much stockier than any I have ever use operationally.

Been thinking about this as well. I lean to looking less tactical, so as to draw less attention. My wife and I backpack, so we have Osprey backpacking bags. Carry a decent load, but don't make you stand out too much. If lots of people are bugging out and on the road, I figure there will be more outdoorsy packs and less military style backs. So I'd rather blend in (and keep the element of surprise if someone tries to mess with us). Just my opinion, I can see both sides.

i have not completely bought into the bug out bag that has days worth of supplies. i just think the scenrio will be finding a way to get home fast and safe and then bug out if needed. bug out will come after serveral days of deciding [even if zombies are out you will hunker down and then bo].

my main bag is based on travel light and fast. get home and then get on the move. if you cannot drive from their, i still would not pack a huge amount of supplies. just look like a target.

Well, why not have/use both? Consider the bigger more volume bag as a storage "warehouse" and the day pack of any sorts the day travel bag with stuff needed for that day? I was just packing my huge escape camp duffle for a weekend trip and it obviously contains a lot of gear I might not use but wish I had if needed. Then I put some essential items in my Maxpedition sling bag like a flashlight, pocket knife, rescue whistle, 2 rifle mags, water bottle and a nab. With this option I can trade out items I need for a hike, an extended ATV ride, or half a day out hunting.

I would say venture away from the back packing/hiking rucks as alot of them while good, are made out of nylon and other weaker materials, where as assault style rucks are tough S.O.B.'s. Plenty of assault style packs out there that aren't in some form of camo pattern. But, in the end it all comes down to what you perfer and what works best for you and your situation.

I use the Rifleman Rut sack. I just like it, It's big and holds everything I need for short or long term survival in the woods. It has a detachable pack on it for a day pack.

The worst thing is the older I get the harder it is for me to carry it. At the rate I'm going right now I will be bugging out with a zip-lock bag

My thoughts on the matter are this....

When ever I select gear, I look for Multi-taskers. As I am not a rich man. For a pack, I like something that will work great as a BOB, then maybe turned around as a hiking/day pack, then maybe a travel bag for a short vacation etc etc.

Just my $.02

My thoughts on the matter are this....

When ever I select gear, I look for Multi-taskers. As I am not a rich man. For a pack, I like something that will work great as a BOB, then maybe turned around as a hiking/day pack, then maybe a travel bag for a short vacation etc etc.

Just my $.02

exactly what im looking for in a bob bag too.

If flexibility is key then a pack cover or poncho can help. The camo pack can be covered with a "grey" waterproof cover or poncho. A grey pack can be cammoed with a camo cover or poncho. Get the pack you can hump the distance. Fit makes a huge difference.

Depends on that you are needing to do with the bag. I am not familiar with military packs. i tend to stay away from them in order to blend in. My packs look like the ones you kid carries to school or his sports activities. All my bags have come from one manufacturer with a lifetime warranty. I buy them at the outlet malls to save money. My ED bag is 1700ci. My GHB is 3200ci and carries everything i would need to get home from my normal daily locations. My BOB is 5500ci and is designed to get me to plan B location. Plan A is Bug-In. All are nylon and range from 750 denier to 1000 denier. Airbags in your vehicle are 750 denier nylon for comparison. My ED bag added to my GHB will extend my time by two days. My GHB added to my BOB ..... well you get the picture. adapt overcome improvise. stay flexible and always have a back up plan.

Edited by awake

I went to the local Army/Navy store today just looking around and they over 150 attachments for my rifleman pack. The one thing I would really like to find is the Patrol pack that hooks to the back of mine to use as a GHB. That's the one thing they did not have

"When ever I select gear, I look for Multi-taskers. As I am not a rich man. For a pack, I like something that will work great as a BOB, then maybe turned around as a hiking/day pack, then maybe a travel bag for a short vacation etc etc." My thoughts exactly. thats why i am rocking what I have now. I can also agree with the comments about it looking like everyone else's, except I have never found a civilian bag that meets my expectations. I am overpicky.

Went to the pawn shop yesterday and found a old, old army Nam era style back pack. still in great shape. didn't have any straps with it. gave them 10 dollars for it, Went back to the Army/ Navy store and bought a set of straps for it for 8 dollars.

Got 18 bucks in it a it's a great day/ GHB. Plan on keeping it in my truck all the time