Sign in to follow this  
CCSir

What got you into survival/prepping?

This is kind of a pick up topic out of the "Oct. Surprise" thread started by Regulator5.

What got you into survival/prepping?

My parents, being products of the Cold War (and Grandparents who were products of the Great Depression) actually got me in to all of this, at least got my feet wet. When I was a kid we always had a huge garden. Canned, froze and dried everything. We also had chickens, dogs, cats and the occasional snake, turtle, frog or what ever else I would try to bring home as pets as a child.

We had firearms, fished, hunted rabbits, hiked and occasionally camped out. (Although be it in the very back of our several acre property.)

I can remember being a kid and my parents never being concerned about very much. It was just a way of life.

What really got me thrown into this though was after I got married. The first winter we were married was just about some of the worst snow storms that I could remember since the winters of '77 and '78. (I was pretty young for both of those.) We lived in an apartment and the electricity went out.......for 6 days. That was the turning point for me. I decided right there and then I wasn't ever going to go through that again. Bought a house the following spring and haven't ever looked back.

So you could say that I was brought up with prepping, but it took until I was married to be prepared.

Edited by CCSir

I got into prepping once I realized that I wanted to go into the Military. It started off as just wanting to get familiar with camping, hiking and general things like that. Then gear. Then reading about survival strategies. And it just kind of snowballed from there.

I guess I was sort of lucky and grew up being taught to keep items on hand. My Grandparents went through the Depression and both Graddads and my dad were vets (WW2 and Nam). I was born in Indiana, so snowstorms were always a thought, I remember the blizzards of 77-78 and moved to Florida from 8-14 yrs old, so hurricanes entered the thought process and planning. My extended family farms and gardening was a normal summer activity.

I did some Search and Rescue as a civilian volunteer with the USAF and having 3 real world missions, learned that bad things can happen anytime. I grew up in outdoors, so those hobbies helped teach me the foundations of being prepared for "surprises" while away from home. I was given alot of instruction from my dad, who was a LRRP for the 82d Airborne and then entered the Army myself after 9/11. I lost a child due to my activities with the Army and I guess you can say took a blood oath to myself to never allow it to happen again.

The 1990's with all the domestic turmoil, Waco, Ruby Ridge, The Freemen, and OKC, also kept me thinking. We never know when, nor how the "balloon" can go up. Also getting involved in the "Buckskinning" and Native American history made me want to learn more of how they lived and not just the "glory" tales often found in the books.

We all have given much thought to taking the steps we take in our preps and the site allows us to share ideas to become more complete; even if in theory if not in gear and stocks. We all have different needs and different situations that allow us to build our preps in personal stages. I know I have gathered ideas to help bolster my preps and hope I have helped others think of things that eluded them at first.

I did a lot of outdoors stuff growing up backpacking, camping, hiking, rafting, climbing, etc... so i had a general interest in outdoors stuff. I initially started thinking about SHTF style survival back in high school and got my self involved in a zombie survival forum. there was alot of discussion of everything from best zombie killing weapons to how to rebuild a society. Anyway after a year and a half the forum started dieing off and i kept reading into the survival sites I would source or use for topics of conversation and eventually found my way here. The biggest lesson I learned from my zombie days was OPSEC. After a few failed attempts to get a few other people I knew prepping I found out that most of the people I knew's plan was to show up at my door. Ive moved enough that most of them don't know exactly where I live and after college I'm leaving California so I guess I get a get out of jail free card this time.

And that's my story of prepping semi-fail.

aside from the obvious outdoor stuff, the inevitable event caused by the reckless decisions of government regarding finance, immigration, and the desire to remove our freedoms and force the people to be dependent on that government combined with earthquakes, terrorism and EMP's and floods really increased my drive to prepare. i think an event regardless of severity will happen. even if it doesnt happen in my life time, my preps will serve to teach my family to prepare and protect themselves when i am gone. my family's safety is what got me into prepping. my upbringing in the outdoors just gave me a nice foundation to build upon.

My story is pretty much the same as the original poster.

Grew up gardening, shooting or catching all of our food. We went to the grocery store for milk, eggs, flour, cornmeal, salt, etc. Everything else, we came up with ourselves. In my teen years and throught my early twenties, I got away from that life and started eating out and getting my food at the store. Then Hurricane Opal came through. I had food and such for the few days that I needed it, but I saw the rush and panic of those that did not. Then and there, I said that THAT was not going to be me... Ever.

I grew up in an outdoorsy family and I was always into wilderness survival. And the other prepping stuff well my mom is Mormon so food storage was emphasized. And frankly my dad was always of the mindset that there is no such thing as too much ammo.

My mother taught me to shoot her .32 revolver when I was 7. We didn't "Prep" but we did have 3 freezers, always full, and a pantry that would feed a regiment.

While my wife and I were in Germany we had the NEO kits. Noncombatant Evacuation Order as I recall. It was essentially a foot locker with everything the family needed to bug out back to the states should the evil empire start through the Fulda Gap. Papers, power of attorney, pay stub, 3 days food, money etc. That started a habit of having extra "stuff" around just in case.

Lot of camping, usually from a pop up trailer or an RV (loved RV "roughing it") so we kept some items on hand. Don't know how we became "preppers" exactly. I think it was more of a wake up one day and realize "Hey, that's us". The evacuation disaster that was Hurricane Rita more or less iced it. That was when we got the 4X4 and the 2 week, always packed hurricane boxes and it has grown more formal and more complete ever since.

Tools like knives and firearms and such - I don't remember when they were not around. I bought my wife her first weapon before going to Viet Nam in '71. I've always had a knife ever since my cub scout blade back when Washington was in knickers. Scouts did a lot for me as well. Had a pellet gun as a kid and then a .22. I guess I just grew up that way; it was a bit of a surprise to find out everyone wasn't like that.

I guess growing up on a farm gave me an early exposure to where the food comes from (hint, not the grocery store). Like a lot of your guys, I was exposed to hunting, fishing, and camping early, but two things really got me into the mindset in recent years. One was Hurricane Rita, where I saw my father (who lives back in the homeplace in southeast Texas) manage to survive for six weeks without electricity. FEMA was a joke, already overstretched with Katrina, and his little town did not see any assistance for a week, and then it was truckload of ice. Might have helped the day after the power went out, but by Day Seven it was a moot point. "Way to go Brownie, Heck of a job." My father, child of the Depression, took it all in stride. He cooked on his wood stove, hauled water from his well and got on with his business. Of course, he sure appreciated all the groceries and batteries I hauled in, but he would have gotten by just fine without me because he was always prepared. That got me to thinking.

The second think that brought me to this point was the birth of our daughter two years ago. The thought of anything happening to her keeps me up late at night, and really drove home the idea that my job as a husband and father is to feed and protect my family. Everything else is just gravy.

What got me into prepping is alot of thing that you guy's have said in this thresd...I also grew up on a small farm in east tennessee that was owned by my gradmother (may god rest her soul) I milked cow, fed the chickens and pigs before school everyday. The best I can remember I don't really remember my grandmother going to the super market very often back then...but she made a lot of trips to the rootceller, smokehouse and woodpile. When she was finished it was always a 3 course meal to die for. I can rember that the rootceller was always full of canned food....everything from canned corn to applebutter...and there was always 3 or 4 butched hogs hanging in the smokehouse and many jugs of water sitting on the back pourch. I also remember playing in the back fields and woods around my grandmothers farm...making lean-too's and learning to start fires with what ever I had with me. My uncle was also a big insperrion to me also, he taught me how to hunt...fish....and frog gig.....I guess by looking back now I was prepping the whole time I was growing up.

Then at the tender age of 17 I joined the army and left my grandmothers farm...Once in the army I attened a number of specilized schools such as Path Finders School....Escape and Evasion School......Air Assualt School and of course Jump School....Once again as I look back...guess I was prepping there also....

Then after retiring I returned home with my family and started living the civilian life again...and I had a gut feeling that I was missing something or that something just wasn't right. So after a few months I stumbled upon this website and it hit me like a ton of rocks.....I had quite prepping....so I started prepping again...putting BOB's togther.....stock piling food...water....ammo.....and other items.. and in this process teaching my 3 year old grandson a few basic skills along the way. I will keep on teaching him how to prep as he get's older...because the way I see it now....when he is my age or older what will this world be like then....I can tell you right now...it won't be a very safe place to raise a family in....and he may need every skill I can teach him to survive and provide for his family.

What got me into survival and prepping.... I guess my kids were the big factor. Honestly I didn't give a SHFT(haha pun intended) to any of it till we moved to Europe. I have two kids under three and as the dollar fell, and greeces unrest started affect the markets money got tight. Then there was the threat of the gov shut down(one of them) earlier this year. They were talking about the bx and commissary shutting down. Now my house has at least a month of rice, beans and canned soups in it at all times. From the prepping came the 'survivalist' stuff. Honestly you can't have one without the other

I am in suburban NJ. (10miles from NYC) As a child our family went camping on average 4 weeks a year. I grew up confident I could handle any situation. As natural disasters hit many parts of the country and the unrest in the world and knowing the government could not protect me, I felt the need to prep for long term system down and rioting. (teotwawki). I started researching on line and subscribed to SurvivalCache news letter many years ago. I am prepping in hopes of sheltering and feeding my GRANDCHILDREN..(and maybe some of my 5 children :<) ..I can bug in well but have been looking at property to bug out too. ITS all about the GRANDCHILDREN..

It took me awhile, but eventually, I did get prepping. My cousin was killed in a horrific highway

accident in New Mexico.3 weeks later, my mother had just come home from the hospital when the

Northridge Earthquake hit. My uncle had a massive heart attack due to stress, and their house partially

collapsed. To top off the unending disasters-I had no cash money, no food in the house, and I needed to get car gas!! Guess what? The stores were depleted of most everything in 4 minutes flat. They only took cash. I was lucky to get a 5 gallon bottle of water-cuz you ain't drinking the tap water after an earthquake. Gas lines were blowing up on roadways that I drove through. When you are excited, horrified, stressed, etc. the left & right brain don't talk to one another. I knew it was dangerous but I drove anyway.

You could not get car gas. I knew I had to change my lifestyle, but it took another 10 years to do it.

i Grew up in post war Germany where food shortage was every day. I joined the US Army in '76 to serve my new country which I love dearly. I've always bought extra groceries, I really don't like being hungry. Got more serious about prepping with Y2K. I expect that we will be in a serious depression within the next couple of years (if that long), food riots and breakdown of society. So here I am.

I grew up hunting and fishing and had a dad that was probably more suited living back in the cowboy days rather than this "modern" ear. He just liked the simple life, nothing complicated. He was the one that taught me how to hunt and be self taught outdoors. From that aspect I have always been around firearms and knives. One day when I was out hunting by myself, like I always do, I had a little accident. I was duck hunting in a somewhat remote location, I was walking out into the water to retrieve a fallen duck when I fell into a big pothole in the mud. The water rushed in over my waders and I felt like I was being held under the water by King Kong. It was December so it was quite cold out and I had a lot of clothes on which didn't help in the matter of trying to surface. I can tell you I was pretty damn scared. About ten seconds into my panic I remembered I had read somewhere how to deal with this situation. I bent down towards my knees to allow slack in the shoulder straps so that I could peel them off. Next I just kicked like hell until my feet came loose from the boots and up I went. Luckily I was only about half of a mile away from my truck so I ran there in about three minutes. Warmed up in the car and don't have to say I didn't tell my parents about the experiance. I was so happy that I had read that hunting article on what to do because it helped me to concentrate on what had to be done instead of panic. From there I just wanted to know more about similar situations and always wanted to be prepared for anything that I could be.

Prepping focuses on most of my favorite hobbies and lines up to personal desire not only for self sufficiency, but the ability to keep many other people alive too. I have a family with generations of police officers, soldiers, EMTs, etc... Something about how we all were raised that life is defined by what you do for others, not what you've accumulated from others.

Prepping for TEOTWAKI events is an engaging and challenging hobby for me because while all of the components are very technical and engaging on their own time and assets invested in it could pay off 10, 20 or 1000 fold depending on the severity of events this century. It's not a chore (yet) and whether an event happens or not, nothing I've learned or done is a waste. Hard to find anything else to do with money or time that has such a guaranteed pay off. Soooo many other time and money sinks in today's culture that could not only become worthless in an instant, they could all become massive liabilities.

Today's dominant culture and society feels incredibly unsustainable. I want very much to find and prepare something better for my kids than the bulk of the next generation will face. They may never have it as "easy" as I did dirt poor, but in the richest country on earth, but I do hope they will have it "better" though and that's about a lot more than money, boats and television.

CCsir

being originally from WV i too remember the snow storms of 77/78 you mentioned.

wow! i was a young kid at the time. we had a blast as kids, but didnt realize the extreme seriousness

of the situation until i got a lot older.

ok so whats got me started in prepping?

the signs of the times. i think we could be headed in a bad direction as a whole across the globe.

i stumbled across several forums like this one that i found myself interested in.

the more i read the more i learned and agreed with. so i started thinking about everything that

i have been reading over the last yr or so and here i am.

Edited by ricksconnected

I moved from the city to the mts. in 1975. i built a small house,dug footings and mixed concrete by hand. Carried all material 250' up mt. to site, cut all my wood with a $3.98 hand saw. No electric first winter. Found a spring that either went dry or froze in winter.Only heat was a wood fire stove. For 10yrs i raised 2 children,no bathroom and sometimes running water. Heated water on stove had a big plastic tub,and that was our bathtub, Anyhow i learned from the old farmers and locals, and became quite good at surviving. now why have i become a prepper, well i was born in the 40's,and seen alot, but what i'm seeing now, and i mean whats going on with our country has gotten my attention, and i will be going back to the mts and use all my skills to survive. I will do whatever it takes to keep myself and family safe. I suggest everyone have some kind of survival plan...

What got me into prepping: I suppose I had the thought of prepping in the back of my mind for some time but just didn't act on it. Then the scenes of 9/11 and post Katrina lack of leadership/response from state/federal governments started my plans rolling. But the biggest thing that jump started my prepping was departmental training we received from the federal government down in Anniston, AL. Those that volunteered were sent for a one week live agent training class with field exercises. Our training class had a large contingent of firefighters in it. On the first day of practical exercises the instructor asked who was issued PPE(personal protective equipment). Everyone raised their hands. Then she asked who kept their PPE in their vehicles/with them. Only firefighters raised their hands. All the LEO's had it at home in their basement(mine) or in their lockers at work. That's when I first heard the term that firefighters/hazmat use for LEO's: Blue Canary. You see LEO's are typically the first on the scene of most incidents and we tend to think of others' safety before our own. In regards to hazmat/chemical agent/bio agents we'll act as the canary in a mine shaft alerting to the lack of oxygen. We'll be down and that's the firefighter's clue to a chemical/bio agent/hazmat incident. At the end of the week our training culminated in donning PPE and entering a facility where we were exposed to live VX AND GB agents! The amounts were tiny but the lethality of the chemical warfare agents was real. During this week instructors repeatedly mentioned the government's recommended three days of supplies. Needless to say my PPE is always in my truck now along with my get home bag. At home I definately have more than 3 days of food, water, etc. Furthermore through discussions with fellow deputies and LEO friends; I have found numerous LEO's that are fellow preppers in federal, city, and county level agencies. If we(LEO's) are prepping then that might be an indication to the rest of you out there.!!

Well, I just one day realized that I might be depending on society and other things just a little too much. Living where I live, I noticed there was a great deal of knowledge I had picked up over the years and that I wanted to add to it to really round out my skills. I started reading books, practicing skills, and trying to prepare for different scenarios that may or may not happen in the near future. I started getting a bad feeling about things in general when the economy tanked along with the housing market. Not wanting to get caught with my pants down and having a family to take care of, I decided to begin to prepare for the worst and get my skills even further honed. Now here I am, the world isn't that much better and I am still honing.

My parents and grandparents lived thru the great depression. Waste not, save everything, and assume times can get bad again! That got me in the mind set when I was a kid. (a poor kid)

10 years later, I was a young married Marine. Being deployed a lot and being in helicopters, spending many missions hauling in supplies to disaster sites and ravaged areas forced me into preparing my family for the worst, as if SHTF I would have been on duty and not able to be with them. Home port was the left coast and earthquake country.

I've seen it elsewhere, and it could happen here!