Sign in to follow this  
texbucky

Hi from north Texas

Hi folks! I am an almost "half-centurian" female who likes to think she can take care of herself in any situation. I have always known if the SHTF I would be able to get all my stuff and just get out the door. Boy was I wrong. I have been reading, reading and reading for the last several weeks about BOB, SHTF, GHB, ETC. and I am a bit shocked. I am not nearly as prepared as I thought I was....so that changes now. I have perused mulitiple sites for information and this one is by far the best there is out there in the world of cyberspace. You guys have it together!

I am working on gathering pieces for my very first BOB and also my GHB for work. I am well equipped, protection wise, but need a couple of other things to make me feel REALLY equipped. I don't have a bug out location, but have been looking up in Oklahoma. There are some good spots at reasonable prices to be had, if you don't mind looking. Most don't have a shelter on them, but that is something I can be building on weekends, a bit at a time.....I like carpentry and have my own tools, I told you I could take care of myself! :rolleyes:

Looking forward to getting on here, maybe meeting up with some local north Texas/Oklahoma like minded folks. Thanks for listening!

bucky in DFW

Guest kevin

hey bucky, north east Texas here.(Longview) welcome...it is a hell of a site...my fav too. one quick note on all those pretty gadgets they sell for shtf these days.....they can be taken away,lost,and in a lot of cases are useless(not that i'll be giving up mine anytime soon.lol) but skills are for a life time.....buying is easy, learning is hard....do the work. GOOD LUCK!

Edited by kevin

Hey Kevin, Yes there are a lot of thingamajigs out there that may look useful, but heck, I figure most of that highfalutin stuff can be improvised. I am spending my big bucks on a good shotgun, a couple of tools and a water filter. I want to take my stuff out and use it, you know, take the filter down to the creek, run some water through that puppy and take a big swig.....and hope I don't get sick. I am going to experiment with the purification tablets too....have you ever tried those or are you a tried and true boil it all kinda guy? I am teaching myself how to tie various knots and also how to navigate with a compass, no GPS here. At least I can say I am handy with tools, so if it came down to it and I had to build a shelter, I could do it.

Do you know if there are any folks in north Texas that maybe get together every once in a while to have a field day or even go primitive camping somewhere to try out some skills? Just curious.

Hi TInderwolf, yes, I hear you on that about the basics. Can't go wrong there! I do love this site too,so much info and so well organized. I have actually got a couple of the "princesses" I work with interested in making their own BOB. They had no idea what I was talking about when I mentioned it to them...they thought I was trying to fix them up on a date or something..haha. Silly girls :)

and hope I don't get sick. I am going to experiment with the purification tablets too....have you ever tried those or are you a tried and true boil it all kinda guy?

they work but they taste funny...

Guest kevin

yea the water tablets work and yea they taste strongly of iodine(mix tang or another citrus drink with em it helps...i keep emergen C in my pack for that)but mostly i rely on liquid iodine or bleach for my chemical water purification(really cheap and you can use it for cuts too....4 drops per qt wait 30 min to an hour ,bottoms up)......but yea boiling is the best

as far as prep training and group camping goes there is a group here in longveiw....a prepper group called longview preppers(google it)....i'm a member but do to work being crazy busy i haven't made it to any of their meet-ups...may later tho.

on the shot guns i own a mosberg 500 and give it high marks...i want a remington 870(i have a couple of winchester 1400s to, but prefer a pump) ,but went and spent the money i had put back for one on 2 mosin nagants and 880 rounds of ammo, for the same money. if you have any doubts on shells for that shotgun a high brass 6 is a good all round shell.(big enough for human sized stuff up close, but ,with a little distance won't tear small stuff up so bad you don't wanna eat it.

Edited by kevin

my God another texan! welcome to the forum!

sorry wally but most up there were so politically correct lefties I thought the st. Helen's would have woke some up but no the act as if everything is an Isolated incident.

the ones that were not politically correct they moved east of the mountains

all my friends did except on he's still in Renton POOR B@STARD finnaly got him into prepping only took 10 years.

Have a remington 870 and love it. Worth the money. Used to have a remington 1187 which I stupidly sold. In my mind when it comes to shotguns its only remington in my mind.

I second that I love remington pump shotguns unless your a lefty then you need a Ithaca model 37 ejects out the bottom

Thanks so much everyone for the great info and warm welcome to this site (I KNEW I picked a good one). I would like to know if anyone out there has ever built your own gun and if so, how hard was that to do? I am very, very new to the gun world (I own an itsy, bitsy, cheapie, Taurus PT111 9mm (which I LOVE, btw). I am fascinated with guns now and how they work and have always wanted to build something cool. I was pondering building a shotgun....would there be kits available to do that, ya think???? THANKS Ya'll! :D

Thanks so much everyone for the great info and warm welcome to this site (I KNEW I picked a good one). I would like to know if anyone out there has ever built your own gun and if so, how hard was that to do? I am very, very new to the gun world (I own an itsy, bitsy, cheapie, Taurus PT111 9mm (which I LOVE, btw). I am fascinated with guns now and how they work and have always wanted to build something cool. I was pondering building a shotgun....would there be kits available to do that, ya think???? THANKS Ya'll! :D

the only kits i know of are blackpowder firearms...

Focus on the basics first!

Water, water, water!!! The places you're considering in OK, what's the water source?? Even if they have a creek, if the draught continues, they'll dry up. What's the groundwater situation? cost of a well??

Food: Get as much as you can as fast as you can! Buy only what you eat already! Lots of the basics: wheat, flour, rice, pasta, sugar, cornstarch, cornmeall, salt, beans, honey etc.

Water containers, water purification (!!!!), save juice & soda bottles, not only good for storage, but also a good way to purify water.

First aid: Especially if you're planning on doing carpentry and you're by yourself, you MUST be prepared to treat injuries.

Start by making individual lists.

Guest kevin

making an emergency shotgun would be simple enough (and should only be used as a last resort)but for an everyday weapon i'd stick with the companies that have it down to a science......to build a proper one would cost more than you could buy one for and more than likely wouldn't meet the high safety regs a reputable company has....you also couldn't harvest spare parts.....i recommend doing a full break-down on a store bought first...they aren't as simply built as you might think. lots of parts that HAVE to work together and endure a small explosion every time you pull the trigger.....but if your looking for a project, try a fire piston and char cloth.

Kevin is right as are the others that spoke up on the subject there is nothing so easy or so hard as a quality

firearm.

I have built pistols and some rifles and done some smithing in my time but when it comes to certain

aspects I leave it to those with experience like rebarreling my Garand to 7.62X51

by the time you buy all the stuff you could just buy a quality new or used rifle and gussy it up to your specs

and actually save money in the process.

Having said that I have custom Mausers but all that means is a firearm that has been rebarreled

and I did not build the stock I bought a roughed out one and finished it myself glassed the action

and custom swivels grip cap kinda like buying a used car and adding parts, once the barrels on, and bolt is fitted {headspaced}

If your dead set to do something I would buy a fair used VZ Mauser 98 with NO STAMPED PARTS.

early war at the end workmanship was poor and stamped parts are not quality for a project like I think you want.

Mausers are the strongest action you can buy the make NEW ones today and they cost dearly

GET A GOOD SMITH TO REBARREL IT. after that you can fiddle all you like so many drop in parts

add ons and stocks etc.

midway has sales on barrels from time to time Adams & Bennett Barrels are inexpensive and great shooters

a bold trigger cost less and are as good as timney

custom bolt shroud safety is on the trigger

for a wood stock here is a link

http://www.gunstocks.com/

beyond that there are a hundred makers of custom parts and you can make it yours

I think you will find that if you got all machined parts they will all be great put a bead blast finish

to cover any imperfections and it will look great.

now for our next project a M-14 LOL

Edited by juzcallmesnake

Welcom TEXBUCKY!

From one N Texan to another, I'm glad you joined this group, there is a virtual well of knowledge here. Everyone is always ready to help, offering tips, drawing from their experience. And I'm certain you have much to offer as well. Jump on in, I look forward to reading your posts.

Straydog

Great info folks! Thanks so much. Now I might have to reconsider building my own shotgun until on down the line...when I am a bit better versed in knowledge and all. Still very interested though, just will need to explore my options a little closer. Do I want to put green into that, or green into my BOB and some other items? Contemplation is a beatiful thing! :)

Welcome to the forums..

Never have enough Texans..JMO..

If you all suceed Im come west after November..If thats ok with JCMS..

Yes you need a BOB first..one that fits well..Im tall so I have a large Military surpluss(alice Pack) with a waist suport.

Water/food.portable shelter(poncho) Tools all fit in it and your basicley ready..

Good luck..Keep us informed...