Scavenger hunt/Survival

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 101matt

101matt

• Moderators
  • 2,537 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 10:55 AM

A scavenger hunt is a game in which the organizers prepare a list defining specific items, using which the participants — individuals or teams — seek to gather all items on the list — usually without purchasing them — or perform tasks or take photographs of the items, as specified.[1] The goal is usually to be the first to complete the list, although in a variation on the game players can also be challenged to complete the tasks on the list in the most creative manner.

I have always LOVED this game..Trying to find things and thinking "Where could you get it "if need be"???

I was at a summer camp when the bug bit me/quest was to get a moth/answer a car radiator..ok so we lifted 5 car hoods to get one...

In a SHTF scenario you may be forced to do just this..Find the things you need...

Because there are so many different scenarios we can Never prepare for them all..Thats just the Facts..and than you adjust to it..

I propose that you MAKE a LIST of what you need..

#1..water, and so on and than for a week look around and Photo or WRITE DOWN its location and what you would have to do to get it and transport it..

It Is the Basic Survival Training thats FREE and can be done/Must be done if you are ever caught with out what you need...

So give it a try..i would like you to Post some Ideas and results..Its about Planing!!
JMO..
  • Robertskemo, Ralphfef and Lucienuh like this
"you cant Fix stupid" so stop trying..................

#2 Regulator5

Regulator5

• Moderators
  • 2,697 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:00 AM

Good idea Matt. The posts concerning "games" for training/learning that the members have come up with are truly helpful...IMO.
"The Ground On Which We Stand Is Sacred Ground. It Is The Blood Of Our Ancestors." - Native American

Stay Alert, Stay Alive

#3 101matt

101matt

• Moderators
  • 2,537 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:12 AM

Ty.Reg..
Its about LEARNING..if you have never done it, it takes time/the learning curve in a SHTF situation could cause you Harm..

here is one..
Where do you GET WOOD if your in the CITY and dont have trees around???

Becarefull with your answer...90% of furniture is Partical board and can It is a danger to breath it!!Just the smoke alone can get you in trouble..

any Ideas ???

#4 Regulator5

Regulator5

• Moderators
  • 2,697 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 11:40 AM

Besides alot of ornamental hedges and bushes that people use for landscaping?

fences will be treated lumber, so off limits for indoor burning or cooking, can acquire some from abandoned homes, possibly local mulching centers (if the city/county has this facility), lumber yards if abandoned (truly a SHTF event), some areas use just plain pine for light poles (creosote danger)... off the top of my head
"The Ground On Which We Stand Is Sacred Ground. It Is The Blood Of Our Ancestors." - Native American

Stay Alert, Stay Alive

#5 101matt

101matt

• Moderators
  • 2,537 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 12:09 PM

Pallets...skids!!!!always around and are great to burn..

#6 GAP

GAP

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 01:24 PM

A lot of the wood is treated and can be very harmful of cooked over. For instance, every home has wood fascia but they are covered in paint. Most of the wood fences down here are pressure treated. Good question when you really stop and think about it.
Spe Labor Levis
GAP

http://www.survive2balive.com

#7 juzcallmesnake

juzcallmesnake

• Members
  • 5,655 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 01:39 PM

I was going to sat politicians heads

Been there done that and used the T-shirt for a bandage!

#8 tinderwolf

tinderwolf

• Members
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 02:43 PM

Great idea will post ideas soon

#9 Lunchbox

Lunchbox

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 02:06 AM

Why does it have to be wood for the fire?? You can use various potato chips (the fattier the better) as fuel source.

#10 101matt

101matt

• Moderators
  • 2,537 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 08:14 AM

So burning "Food" for heat is a good Idea? Just asking..
Wood or Paper..always around and can get it easy..JMO..

Try this...you have found a water sourse that you need...what are you carrying it in..remember it takes 1 galon a day..and you have 3 people to take care of.. 1 Gallon = 8.345404 LBs..thats about 40 lbs per 5 galon..how many trips does it take to supply a 3 person family/team for a week??What are you useing to transport it...What do you have to KEEP IT in..

3 family members 1 week =21 galons...4 qty ,5 galon contaners=160 lbs...or 2 people carring 80lbs..

EVERY WEEK...So do you have enough containers to Keep your water?Transport it in CLEAN containers??

If NOT WHERE ARE YOU GOING TO GET THEM????
101 WATER....you will need it..so lets start there..

Edited by 101matt, 31 July 2012 - 08:19 AM.

#11 tinderwolf

tinderwolf

• Members
  • 2,104 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 06:55 PM

For water I have several water bottles, stainless steel and plastic, two per person in the family. Collaspible containers like the platypus would be the best thing to use because they don't take up too much space. On the way to work the water sources I noticed were, river, stream, couple of ponds, hoses from houses, stores, puddles, dew.

#12 Hossfly

Hossfly

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:12 PM

Abandoned houses.... About forty gallons in a hot water tank I think
Tank of a toilet if it doesn't have the blue stuff in it

Abandoned businesses.... Factories, the FedEx/Ups stations have water coolers and/or pallets of water and
Some even have pallets of Gatorade around here.. It's the heat!

Swimming pools............... Ten thousand gallons or more. Got purification tabs or bleach?

Fire hydrants..................... Supposed to work even without pumps I've heard. Got a big wrench?

On the coast? .....................You've got the ocean. Can you make a solar distillery? Got a tarp to help?

Got a bunch of trees?........... Put a plastic bag over the leafy end of a branch and tie it off to collect dew.

And this one came to me the other night. Requires an air dehumidifier and a generator though. I get at least a gallon of water per night when I turn it on. Almost required during the summer down here. We have "air you can wear"

National Guard facilities store MRE's and field supplies, depending on the base's function. Weapons will be locked up or already deployed. Give that idea up unless your best friend is the commander and he's bugging out too.

Edited by Hossfly, 31 July 2012 - 09:17 PM.

When you live in reaction, you give your power away. Then you get to experience what you gave your power to. ~N. Smith

If freedom of speach is taken away then dumb and silent we may be led,
like sheep to the slaughter- George Washington

#13 Lunchbox

Lunchbox

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 09:54 PM

So burning "Food" for heat is a good Idea? Just asking..
Wood or Paper..always around and can get it easy..JMO..

Try this...you have found a water sourse that you need...what are you carrying it in..remember it takes 1 galon a day..and you have 3 people to take care of.. 1 Gallon = 8.345404 LBs..thats about 40 lbs per 5 galon..how many trips does it take to supply a 3 person family/team for a week??What are you useing to transport it...What do you have to KEEP IT in..

3 family members 1 week =21 galons...4 qty ,5 galon contaners=160 lbs...or 2 people carring 80lbs..

EVERY WEEK...So do you have enough containers to Keep your water?Transport it in CLEAN containers??

If NOT WHERE ARE YOU GOING TO GET THEM????
101 WATER....you will need it..so lets start there..

Was thinking out side of the box in the spirit of the game. You need tinder/accelerant to get wood burning, pork rinds/cheetos/etc is an/a accelerant and I sure as hell am not eating that sh!t. As far as the water, I've been on week long hunting trips and we never bring water. Just boil water we find. People that carry more than a couple of liters are too worried and inexperienced. Do a couple of minimalist camping trips, with little food and no water. I bet youll suprise youself..Esp how little water can get by on if have too.

#14 juzcallmesnake

juzcallmesnake

• Members
  • 5,655 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 12:14 AM

I like coal if you can find some mined coal a barrel would be plenty.

the frito is the best oil to burn ratio a pretzel won't burn if you held a torch on it

you want good tinder dryer lint it's free it will be available I don't think but me and the few
I am telling now will be scrounging empty houses for dryer lint.

#4ought steel wool "rusty" will burn if you strike a piece of flint to carbon steel

anything that has a gas /fuel tank can be rodded with a wire or stick and cotton string to absorb fuel or oil
from crankcases of engines even grease from axles and some other thing and it will self ignite.

sometimes i wonder if we are thinking way too stone age it will take a long time before the already made resources will be used up and unless your crossing the great plains every vehicle house and building will have something Sheeple won't know the value or understand what they are looking at and leave it.
AC compressors have oil stuck on grease on old stoves and commercial restaurant equipment is oil.

can't push a needle through cloth run it through your hair and try again even if there is a polar shift
or emp of gigantic proportions some stuff will not be effected at worst reversing the rotation and or windings to produce electricity electricity is natural it will never go away now the properties in how it functions may change
but not the natural being of it.
what most do not realize if electricity cannot work in our atmosphere we will die this will turn into a dead planet
all the scientists consider the 4 cornerstones of creation as earth wind fire and water the GOD particle is
electricity or electromagnetism without it the cosmos would freeze in place nothing would move nothing would live we are electric beings metals and acids producing the power of a 100 watt light bulb to produce 98.6 deg F

If your an Atheist it may be hard to consider but the human body is a miracle of GOD not an accident
your spirit cannot be destroyed nor broken 10 of the 12 disciples proved that and they were ordinary human
beings as long as we know what is right and wrong and do it we will survive it is when we get lost and turn to human rule or humanism we will destroy ourselves people left to their own understanding get lost frustrated or go crazy.

so don't have machinations of the whole world will be plunged into darkness Maybe close but not totally.
my father lived without electricity as did his before hell people around the world do it now.
it is a luxury we have become so accustom too we think we cannot live without it well it won't be easy but we will.

as I have stated you can find food grade barrels {blue} now used by soda companies food companies on
craigs list etc. storage buckets can be bought or got used from pool companies.

water is cheap put up gutters on your place and save the water in a cistern and make a pipe manifold to fill
numerous barrels I have on one of my posts how to make a solar still

others have posted using pine sap as fuel and glue I think many new member may need to revisit older
postings and save and print the information don't count on your kindle IMHO.

Been there done that and used the T-shirt for a bandage!

#15 blacjac

blacjac

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 01 August 2012 - 04:03 PM

hi all
coal can be found where i live,along old rr trax.good heat,bad if open cooking.

#16 Lunchbox

Lunchbox

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 02:45 AM

Was thinking out side of the box in the spirit of the game. You need tinder/accelerant to get wood burning, pork rinds/cheetos/etc is an/a accelerant and I sure as hell am not eating that sh!t. As far as the water, I've been on week long hunting trips and we never bring water. Just boil water we find. People that carry more than a couple of liters are too worried and inexperienced. Do a couple of minimalist camping trips, with little food and no water. I bet youll suprise youself..Esp how little water can get by on if have too.

+! I don't even feed that stuff to my dog!

#17 Mudbass7

Mudbass7

• Members
  • 296 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:11 AM

if i am not mistaken, standard 8' fir studs used for interior housing aren't treated with anything... could use those if you were in such need of wood you could justify the calorie burn for demo
Two of life's most useful lesson's:
Prior Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance.
and KDIP.

#18 onetime

onetime

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 10:10 AM

watch some of the reality shows and see what all they suffer most for the lack of, and make danged sure that you have those things/skills.  Notice how they are sloppy about where they locate their shelter, cause they're a big hurry? you dont NEED a big nice shelter for the first night or two. you may well be totally wasting your time if you later find a better spot, so just make the minimum shelter for the night. You should be carrying a few lbs of stuff that suffices for sleep gear and shelter. You should be carrying enough water for many hours of work/hiking, unless you're in an area that's just full of water sources. You'd best have a water filter, AND iodine or chlorine, cause  your filter can fail. boiling a qt at a time is a HUGE pita, even if  you do have an alcohol stove (and the fuel) Better HAVE the right clothing, the right tools, plenty of cordage. Minus all the water, food, and gun gear, you can be good for 3 seasons with just 11 lbs of gear, and 4 seasons with another 4 lbs.

#19 onetime

onetime

• Members
  • 142 posts

Posted 29 December 2016 - 10:14 AM

they never mention creating and using a decent latrine, improving a water source, almost never make any containers, NEVER shelter their fire, never use heated stones to warm them, never wet down their shelter  to prevent its catching fire. They take HUGE, unnecessary chances with their health (being too incompetent to start a fire and boil their water, for instance, or not covering up with mud vs the sun and bugs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

IPB Skin By Virteq