Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
awake

13 posts in this topic

anyone out there with experience in an AR platform caliber-ed in .308? just looking into an all purpose rifle. Wanted to know your opinion.

anyone out there with experience in an AR platform caliber-ed in .308? just looking into an all purpose rifle. Wanted to know your opinion.

Love the AR,but look at the Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle,great platform.

hi awake

i can't answer your question.but the 3006 has a great history.it's sooo good that,there's a big push to get it off the market.they started tring right after ww2.when they started questing german pow's.the 1 thing that scared all them was 3006 in the hands of americans.patton even said m1 grand won the war.ww1 the 3006 changed german tactics,for 1 tactic was pushing a steel plate in front of them.the 303 and others couldn't stop them,when americans came in,with 3006 well they lost a lot of germans.but after ww2 they tried all type of tricks to remove from the market.the 308 won't even come close to the 3006.but if you read books they try to say they are.1 of the tricks they have used is the 150 grain bullet. so very not 3006,need at least 180 grains.you can shoot in a river or lake every fish 10 15 foot away will float to the top.just get to a high point to do.climb a tree for instance.not legal in all states,but is effective in all.hehehe.

3006 is a good rifle as well. i own one as well. My sons .308 is a nice bolt action. it shoots very well and even makes me look like a class marksmen. The recoil is noticable and not a problem for my frame(for now). The reason i am looking at the AR platfrom is to reduce the recoil. I figure that in 10-15 years that recoil will make the gun unusable for me. Just depends on how these old bones of mine settle in later on. I am not a big fan of .50 cal firearms. Fun but not practicle for me.

I have the Remington R25 .308 in AR platform. Works great, and I have actually made my younger brother jeaslous as it's as accurate down range as his custom bolt action .308.

I have some targets where I can cover a 3 shot group at 100yds with a nickel. Mine really likes the Remington Core-Lockt 150gr SP ammo.

And, Magpul offers 20 round mags for it for about $20.00 at my local gun store.

Ok, You specified AR platform so I can't help much there; besides I don't LIKE AR pattern rifles for defense purposes. I do like the M-14 platform (M1A from Springfield - same thing) and I really like the PTR-91 (American made H&K-91 -same everything except made in USA).

For my money, either is more reliable than the AR and the .308 (and .30-06) are good all purpose rounds for anywhere (even Alaska) in North America. If the .308 won't do the job, it escaped from a circus train and you need a .500 Nitro Express.

I have a 2006 Bushmaster M-4.308 and a bushmaster AR-15A3 in .308 I love them both they handle great I have not had any function problems with them and as for accuracy I have no problems nailing cantaloupes at 300 yards with the 16" barreled M-4 variant which is an excesive distance for practical engagement but the farther out you train and are consistantly scoring good hits, the better you will do at closer ranges. and from a bench rest my 15A3 paterns 5.25 inches at 700 meters which is fantastic for a combat rifle however a purpose built sniper rifle in the same caliber will print 2.5" At 1000 meters off a bench which makes it seem pathetic my max human target traing range with the 15A3 is 600 meters. and it still delivers a hell of a lot of lethal energy at those ranges about 5 times more than the 6.8 and only about 125 foot pounds less than the 30-06 whose range is just 200 feet yes feet more than its kid brother the .308

I have an AR-10, got it on a trade but it is the 16" model Im considering selling it and putting the cash toward an armalite AR-10 SASS which is the perfect AR platform for that round. i would recommend it as it combines the best of precision long range with semi-auto sustained fire.

I would like to say thanks for ever comment made on the .308..it reafirms my decision...

It work close(100 yards)and can reach out and "Touch something" at 500 yards(which is max here in Wva)..and along the east coast..

Capt.Bart..if it excapes off a circus train than Im leaveing it be..God must want it Loose..

:o