Sign in to follow this  
awake

It's 2 am and something goes bump in the night.

A Ruger Mark 1 in one nightstand, .45 semiauto in the other, 12 gauge pump under the bed, another 12 gauge in the closet (for the wife), German shepherd right outside the door, another shepherd at the bottom of the stairs, and if that's not enough then I guess I'm in deep trouble.

Doors are usually locked, also keep a cellphone on the nightstand.

Edited by jerry9491

I see to many GUN solutions dead people cause problems cops cause more problems a District Attorney

is like a invasion of saber tooth crotch critters and you never know how a Grand Jury is going to take

what you did and how you did it and what you did it with not to mention who you did it too.

jury's are notorious for handing down unknown decisions and a lawyer is not free and even if you have a

membership fro legal help depending on some insane things I have seen you just never know.

I saw a guy shot seven times and never fell a couple 45 a couple 357's and a few 9MM from 3 angles

he lived and spent 6 months in the hospital after he was found lying on the sidewalk bleeding

3 blocks away {he ran like a deer} .

I would not want to try to explain a wounded person three blocks away after he mumbled some lies

and your on the hook {cons can't tell the truth it ain't in them}

if you watch too many movies you think people get shot fall down go boom it don't always happen that

way depending on the laws and situation you may have a real problem

the Castle law does not say you don't need a lawyer or you may not wait it out in jail till they figure it out

or how much bond may be asked if there is any questions.

Snake, thanks for the link!

As for the main solution being firearms related, here is my thinking. Although I am a rather large guy with a solid street fighting background and I know that I can still ‘handle’ myself, I destroyed my legs 30 years ago. I am now officially crippled. With legs that are not worth a damn, I am not going to outrun anyone. Second, the configuration of Ranch Style homes, including mine, is not conducive to providing escape options and I am not climbing out the window. Under the circumstances, retreat, at least for me, is not an option.

Given that an uninvited person or people have broken window(s) in order to gain unauthorized entry to my home and I cannot retreat, I have one and only one logical option… firearms. Since I know that the intruder has entered my home to commit a crime which might include doing bodily harm to me and/or my wife, I am going to defend my ‘turf’ and my wife. And my best option – actually, my ONLY reasonable option – is to shoot the criminal.

I do not want to harm anyone but I am not going to let the criminal harm anyone in my home. And I have enough power to stop just about anyone that gains unauthorized entry into my home. I hope this helps you understand why guns are a logical method to stop a violent crime.

Hossfly,

maybe the use of a codeword that could be used among family members might be needed. In my situation the kids are out till god knows when. Whose down there? is answered " its me dad--codeword". We also have one that tells everyone that they are to go to their own defencive spot. Sounds a little rigid but communication is key.

only problem with codeword is you might want to shoot the in-law ;-)

the first post mentions breaking glass, but i dont worry about someone breaking in and making a lot of noise. i worry about the sneaky SOB that is quiet.

i keep the doy in the den at night so he will bark if alerted (he barks at anyone and weight 100lbs).

from there i have a simple eye hook latch at the top of the hallway door. keeps kids from wandering too.

i figure the dog will take 30 seconds to find and shoot in pitch dark and then the door gives me another 20 seconds as they probably will just think it is typical unlocked hallway door.

rounding time i have 60 seconds to grab gun (nightstand, which is plenty of time).

Just my little homemade security set up.

when I was 12 I got a 22 and I no longer had a teddy bear anyway now I have better sleepy toys

excoastie I do not think you would have a problem as long as you can prove a disability

it still allows them to come in and snoop and noone has NOTHING to hide everyone has

SOMETHING to hide in my experience, and they probably do not realize it.

I am so use to working close and I still have my blackjack TAP OUT meant something

quite different in my day.

If I am forced to plugging them is not out of the question as long as there is law I would just as soon

they had the problem.

I just couldn't see letting my dog take the first attack from an intruder. He's one of my family and I'll protect him too. But he would be awake and barking at the first odd noise. Know this from experience.

I don't have any fear of being surprised though. I sleep so light that I'm damn near an insomniac. The wife has opened the door to come to bed and just the change in air pressure woke me up. She was quick to say, "it's me!" though!

Light would seem like a bad idea to me. If you're asleep and somebody breaks in. Your eyes are used to the dark and you know your way around your house. The crook has been outside where it is lighter, even if there's only a streetlight or the moon. He also doesn't know the layout unless he's been there before (a "friend" maybe?). You have the advantage if he's new to your house. I wouldn't give up the advantage until he's bleeding on the floor and immobile.

My bedroom door is offset to the only set of stairs. I can aim a flashlight at the railing. With the light on the strobe mode the whole effect is very disorientating as you try to make it upstairs. This plus the fact that the light is not where i am, gives me an improved position.

All BS aside you need to know the laws where YOU live. In Texas now you have the total right to just blast an intruder. It hasn't always been that way. Used to there were all sorts of conditions that had to be met before lethal force was accepted as necessary. You need to KNOW what those conditions are where you live.

I had a planed and rehearsed statement that I would have given the cops that would have covered me and fulfilled all the legal requirements for the laws in Texas at that time.

It went something like this...

"I woke up and realized that an intruder was in our house. Fearing for my daughter I grabbed my gun and went into the hall so that I was between the intruder and my loved ones. When I saw the intruder I screamed at him to get out and told him that I was armed. I backed down the hall to the door into my Daughters bedroom. He came down the hall towards me and I thought I saw something in his hand. As he lifted his arm I just knew that he was about to shoot me and kill me so I fired my gun and he fell down. I retreated into my bedroom with my daughter in tow and my wife called 911 because my hands were shaking so badly that I couldn't."

What I did with this statement was...

1. Confirmed that I had warned him.

2. Shown a willingness to retreat.

3. Expressed a reasonable fear for my life or of serious bodily injury.

4. I did NOT admit that I killed him; "I fired my gun and he fell down". For all I know he had a heart attack. I'm not medically trained.

5. I immediately saw to it that the appropriate officials were called.

This was my story and this is about all they were going to get out of me since I was seriously traumatized and a little in shock.

You do NOT brag about bagging him. You don't admit to anything. You make sure that long before this ever comes up everyone knows the story and what to say. All I had to make sure of was that he was facing me but even if not...well it was dark, I was scared spitless and he WAS an intruder that didn't leave when I yelled at him. This is NOT the time for ANY macho BS.

Don't give the DA anything to work with. If they press you start shaking, sob a little and tell them you want to talk to an attorney before you say anything else. Make sure your wife is on program and at this point she needs to get protective and get them off your back.

This sounds cold but there are people every year that end up in court because some poor victim protected themselves and the criminal was the "wrong race" so it must have been a racially motivated killing. A woman a few years ago was prosecuted for killing a man WHILE he was raping her 10 year old daughter!!! The DA said that she didn't even try to make him stop or warn him so lethal force wasn't called for. He had already raped her and she just sneaked up on him and put a 22 bullet in his head from behind. If I remember right the NRA paid for her lawyers and she got off but it is best to just not go there.

Make sure there is only ONE story for the cops to hear. If you shoot them make sure they are dead!!! "I panicked and emptied the gun but he just kept coming officer!!!!"

Think NOW and PLAN ahead. That is what survival and prepping is all about.

Snake, if you saw my legs, that would be proof enough. After 14 leg operations of various varieties, I look like I got attacked by a Great White Shark. There are huge pieces of muscle missing, a bone missing and so much metal that the TSA take me to the side and grab my junk whenever I fly. I don’t fly much because the change in pressure hurts too much. Half the time I walk using a walking stick (makes an awesome weapon if needed) and always walk with a limp. That is why I can’t bug out. I leave bugging out to the youth. The wife and I will dig in like Alabama ticks!

I never see the day where I need to take violent action against a ‘bad guy’. Those days of my life are long gone, but not forgotten. I remember how. I even practice the ‘how’. I just pray to never have to use the ‘how’ again.

this is the best reply i could have wanted to hear. my hat is off you you sir. you rock Hoss.

I just couldn't see letting my dog take the first attack from an intruder. He's one of my family and I'll protect him too. .......

Ok, some clarification.

My dog lives the good life in the air condition and heated house when temps are over 80 and under 60.

Things is that you are asking about a home invasion scenerio and unfortunately I value the three kids and wife more than the dog and the best bet for them to survive is met getting to the hallway with enough time due to the dog barking.

Not sending the dog on kamikaze mission B)

All BS aside you need to know the laws where YOU live. In Texas now you have the total right to just blast an intruder. It hasn't always been that way. Used to there were all sorts of conditions that had to be met before lethal force was accepted as necessary. You need to KNOW what those conditions are where you live.

I had a planed and rehearsed statement that I would have given the cops that would have covered me and fulfilled all the legal requirements for the laws in Texas at that time.

It went something like this...

"I woke up and realized that an intruder was in our house. Fearing for my daughter I grabbed my gun and went into the hall so that I was between the intruder and my loved ones. When I saw the intruder I screamed at him to get out and told him that I was armed. I backed down the hall to the door into my Daughters bedroom. He came down the hall towards me and I thought I saw something in his hand. As he lifted his arm I just knew that he was about to shoot me and kill me so I fired my gun and he fell down. I retreated into my bedroom with my daughter in tow and my wife called 911 because my hands were shaking so badly that I couldn't."

What I did with this statement was...

1. Confirmed that I had warned him.

2. Shown a willingness to retreat.

3. Expressed a reasonable fear for my life or of serious bodily injury.

4. I did NOT admit that I killed him; "I fired my gun and he fell down". For all I know he had a heart attack. I'm not medically trained.

5. I immediately saw to it that the appropriate officials were called.

This was my story and this is about all they were going to get out of me since I was seriously traumatized and a little in shock.

You do NOT brag about bagging him. You don't admit to anything. You make sure that long before this ever comes up everyone knows the story and what to say. All I had to make sure of was that he was facing me but even if not...well it was dark, I was scared spitless and he WAS an intruder that didn't leave when I yelled at him. This is NOT the time for ANY macho BS.

Don't give the DA anything to work with. If they press you start shaking, sob a little and tell them you want to talk to an attorney before you say anything else. Make sure your wife is on program and at this point she needs to get protective and get them off your back.

This sounds cold but there are people every year that end up in court because some poor victim protected themselves and the criminal was the "wrong race" so it must have been a racially motivated killing. A woman a few years ago was prosecuted for killing a man WHILE he was raping her 10 year old daughter!!! The DA said that she didn't even try to make him stop or warn him so lethal force wasn't called for. He had already raped her and she just sneaked up on him and put a 22 bullet in his head from behind. If I remember right the NRA paid for her lawyers and she got off but it is best to just not go there.

Make sure there is only ONE story for the cops to hear. If you shoot them make sure they are dead!!! "I panicked and emptied the gun but he just kept coming officer!!!!"

Think NOW and PLAN ahead. That is what survival and prepping is all about.

I like the way you think.

LOL, no worries Bamaman. You never seemed liked the type of guy to send a pup on mission impossible.

If I had a police trained, killer German Shepard who looked forward to 2am feedings of raw meat, I'd have no problem letting him take down a bad guy. But you'd have to see Duffy, my killer Doodle to understand.

Here's a link to my RCGroups bio page. Scroll down until you see Duff and you'll understand. He's not operating with a full deck. Hahahahah

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=185192

In Texas a District Attorney is a politician and elected official. (politics from the Latin word poly meaning many and ticks meaning blood sucking vermin) As such they are always looking for ways to make the mundane into a big deal that will get them lots of free TV time. They will do whatever it takes to win even to the point of suppressing evidence that would exonerate the person being prosecuted. (A Dallas DA was caught and convicted for doing this and an innocent man spent YEARS on death-row for a crime he didn't commit. More important, the man that actually did the deed walked free and unprosecuted.)

They are not interested in justice and are NOT your friends. The same is true of the upper-level of law enforcement. They are either elected or appointed by elected officials and will act first and foremost in their own self interest. If there is a big drama crime committed they need to get a conviction and if they can't find the real perp they will take whatever they can get.

Don't give them ANYTHING to work with. Know your laws and understand that asking for an attorney is always smarter than saying something that they can twist into YOU being in the wrong.

Thanks .....(politics from the Latin word poly meaning many and ticks meaning blood sucking vermin)..

As I posted in "Im Sick And Tired"..you cant put your "Faith" in anyone/you Must take care fo yourself..Go ahead and tell a LEO "I did it" and watch as the nails are driven into your hands..

In Texas a District Attorney is a politician and elected official. (politics from the Latin word poly meaning many and ticks meaning blood sucking vermin) As such they are always looking for ways to make the mundane into a big deal that will get them lots of free TV time. They will do whatever it takes to win even to the point of suppressing evidence that would exonerate the person being prosecuted. (A Dallas DA was caught and convicted for doing this and an innocent man spent YEARS on death-row for a crime he didn't commit. More important, the man that actually did the deed walked free and unprosecuted.)

They are not interested in justice and are NOT your friends. The same is true of the upper-level of law enforcement. They are either elected or appointed by elected officials and will act first and foremost in their own self interest. If there is a big drama crime committed they need to get a conviction and if they can't find the real perp they will take whatever they can get.

Don't give them ANYTHING to work with. Know your laws and understand that asking for an attorney is always smarter than saying something that they can twist into YOU being in the wrong.

Danm,

Texas Law Shield - worth the price and I recommend them, I am a customer. http://www.texaslawshield.com/

I suggest the 'Aftermath' story on the SurvicalCache website.

http://survivalcache.com/survival-psychology-aftermath-self-defense-shooting/

Never talk to the police without your attorney; you could turn a righteous shoot into a felony by saying the wrong word and the officer can't decide for the DA whether or not to prosecute. I have a card in my wallet to hand them that says my lawyer says I can't talk, talk to him.

Code words are great for a great many reasons. My family has them that says, I need help come armed; I'm asking for something, say no; the house is not safe, go to backup location; I'm in real trouble, kill the SOB I'm with etc. All reasonable statements and all useful in extreme situations. I NEVER want to use them but we have used some of them, especially with teenage daughters who didn't want to be uncool but NEEDED an excuse to leave.

Flash guns are great for the door way. They blind and startle the BG and leave him confused in a kill zone. My bedroom door is set up to be FLOODED with light quickly. If I were to be hiding behind a bed when the door is suddenly brightly illuminated, I have the edge, big time. Doors are natural kill zones - ask any officer trained to clear a building. They HATE doors. That makes them your friend in the defense.

Wife in the room with light control and a shotgun makes for an excellent redoubt. IF you have called 911 you be there with her. You do not want the responding officer to see someone moving around the interior with a gun nor do you want to mistake the responding LEO for a bad guy. Never forget to plan on when things go wrong because they will.

Just my not so humble opinion.

Awake good post.

Capt Bart excellent as usual.

Hossfly same here its 3am am still awake my sleep is good I just don't need much anymore.

I have dealt with so many bad people I don't get bothered much but any of us can get sand bagged.

it is very hard to be condition yellow 24/7 walk into a store you cant see everything all the time

so you kinda got to count on your God given sense the 6th one.

but if its your time ain't much you can do, I have know a lot of good and well trained people that died

and it was not because they made a mistake some times that is just the way the dice roll.

You may be a winner and still take an ambulance ride or in a hearse.

there is a couple of prayers that come to mind and they have worked for me because I know I did not do it all.

and I am not the best of the best just blessed. IMHO

Isaiah 54:17

No weapon that is formed against thee shall prosper; and every tongue that shall rise against thee in judgment thou shalt condemn. This is the heritage of the servants of the LORD, and their righteousness is of me, saith the LORD.

Psalm 140:4

Keep me, O LORD, from the hands of the wicked; preserve me from the violent man; who have purposed to overthrow my goings.

Edited by juzcallmesnake