Sign in to follow this  
Dangerwolfe

New BOL

Hi Folks,

I got a preview of Armageddon last weekend when about 20k people showed up to our town to party and watch fireworks. It was really eerie seeing our normally empty forest and beaches clogged with walking people/families carrying articles and flashlights on a nearly moonless night....hordes passing right down our street in front of my house......

In any case, I picked up another house about two hours drive from the West Coast where we live now as an option B. It's just a regular house with a full basement (the entire bottom floor) on about 2 acres with few neighbors and just farms around. Not sure if it has a well but drilling one (or driving my own) should be easy, water is only a couple meters below ground.

Ironically, this home was originally built by my (French) grandma for exactly the same purpose. She was an adult during the German invasion, and a midwife, so ditching her bicycle and diving into the bushes in winter to dodge theGerman troops was a regular event, etc. Therefore, she thought it prudent to build a roomy place off the beaten path if the family ever needed to get the hell out of Dodge (or the French Riviera where they lived). Grandpa recently packed it up for that big cognac distillery in the sky so the family put it up for sale. After some reflection I went for it.

We have renters, a young couple with a baby. Very nice folks. The gentleman is a distant cousin to my wife. They are responsible people and keep the place up; the rent is way too cheap but we don't intend to raise it as it would be hard to find such good tenants. Downside is of course what happens in an extended SHTF....

This part of France has a lot of hunters/gun owners and some close-knit families which they are a part of (think of American Southerners; shoot first ask questions later....). In a SHTF occupancy is pretty much 9/10ths of the law if you know what I'm saying. So, I've decided to give them the heads up that in the event anything nasty happens where we live....they need to prepare to clear out, or at least move downstairs until they find other accommodations....The only other alternative is to move them out now. Plus, I'll need to discreetly cache supplies here....

It's kind of a delicate situ.....so any advice from the peanut gallery, greatly appreciated.

Wolfe

Edited by Dangerwolfe

hey congrats wolfe!!! I'm sure you'll find the peace of mind it brings will more than offset the expense of a second home---sounds like your grand parents were on top of things too...your renters could perhaps help 'prep' the place to help offset low rent? again,, congrats!

DW..Excelent move,Grand parents were correct!!!

Putting in a well should be first,yes its about water.A hiddy hole that the curent tenents dont know about is next(understand they are family..I dont trust some of my family..lol)..

Good soil??Orchard?Garden?Timber..

Did grand parents already have a place dug out/ hidding spot???A metal detector used to find Old metel and old storage area..ROOT SELLER..

Cleaning up the land and putting in Natural Barriers..

Check family History? did GrandDad brew? make wine?OLD Hobbies,Tools,Black smithing? Find his stuff if he did !!!Its Glass or Copper,Good pre 1972 steel and can always be used again..Ask Friendly neighbors about there Family history and your Wifes History!!

If so than RE Establish the Aliances!!!

Wish I had the oppertunity to come over and Help!!It sounds like Fun..

hey congrats wolfe!!! I'm sure you'll find the peace of mind it brings will more than offset the expense of a second home---sounds like your grand parents were on top of things too...your renters could perhaps help 'prep' the place to help offset low rent? again,, congrats!

Thanks Rayz :)

Sorry for the slow response, just got back from Moscow and been a bit busy.....

Yes, my wife's grandparents were really on top of the prep thing.....they were rich but did not start that way. They always knew how nasty things could get.

Indeed, may involve our renters in the plan. Folks from these parts of France are very solid.

Wolfe

DW..Excelent move,Grand parents were correct!!!

Putting in a well should be first,yes its about water.A hiddy hole that the curent tenents dont know about is next(understand they are family..I dont trust some of my family..lol)..

Good soil??Orchard?Garden?Timber..

Did grand parents already have a place dug out/ hidding spot???A metal detector used to find Old metel and old storage area..ROOT SELLER..

Cleaning up the land and putting in Natural Barriers..

Check family History? did GrandDad brew? make wine?OLD Hobbies,Tools,Black smithing? Find his stuff if he did !!!Its Glass or Copper,Good pre 1972 steel and can always be used again..Ask Friendly neighbors about there Family history and your Wifes History!!

If so than RE Establish the Aliances!!!

Wish I had the oppertunity to come over and Help!!It sounds like Fun..

Thanks Matt :)

Yes, we need a working well while it's easy to do. May ask when the family plans to go on vacation, tell them we are doing maintenance and then really "cache" up around the place.

Soil is excellent! It's no surprise France has suffered so many invasions (3 from Germany just in the last 70 years!); It's very similar to California in that the climate is generally mild and you can grow anything! MOST people have vegetable gardens outside the cities. Every other house in our own neighborhood by the ocean, some of the are more like small farms! People often keep rabbits, pigeons, chickens, quail and the like for meat and eggs....

Yes, plenty of timber and certain trees that grow like weeds.....always have to chase out the "forest" from invading our yard....

The GPs just used the entire bottom floor of this country property as a root seller....concrete block construction, same cool temp winter and summer.

The French Grandpappy was a test driver and mechanic for Renault, tested new models in secret all over the world in exotic locales like Africa, etc.....was not really the farmer type.....it was more the grandma who had a champagne budget (rich) but beer tastes for the simple life.......

My side has the American Southerners, Stars n' Bars till DEATH.......grandpa made home-apple jack in the seller and shot his dinner most nights as a kid, etc......

Good advice to re-establish alliances with old French family, as just like the US South East, Family history is a big deal: You need to be "from" somewhere.

Help us out, you never know Matt.....I lead a global life, and it's good to know folks everywhere who are into prepping.

I may hook up with Ranger in Norway and perhaps others over here to exchange ideas.

Take care,

Wolfe