Sign in to follow this  
Partsman

Working the soil and other things

Lets talk about what we would want to have for working the soil. A garden is something that will be useful for those with the land to have one. Prepping the ground and taking care of the plants could be a large job without the proper tools and power equipment might or might not be available in the future. So, guys and gals what would you wish for if you could design the garden of your dreams?

(1) I would want a level place with rich soil. (2) To know the growing season for the area and what would grow best in that climate. (3) To have a way to work the soil without wearing me out in the process. (4) To have plenty of the proper seeds and shoots to plant. (5) To have a way(s) of preserving what I produced. (6) A way to keep the bugs from eating my hard work. (7) The right fertilizer to produce stong healthy plants.

I am going to start with (3) as I have reached the age where working harder isn't so much fun any more.

Preparing the soil can be very tuff without power so I found something that could work and be quiet as well.

Lonnie Green designed and built what he refers to as a Worker Bee...an electric walk behind two wheel tractor. He has plans for it and says it should take about 50 hours to build. So if this sounds like something you could use you can get in touch with him at WWW.thegreensmachines.com .

The great thing is with a solar or hydroelectric power plant you can charge it up fairly quickly.

Edited by Partsman

A Box garden/raised is the best for starters..you can easley control the dirt and plants..

They are great as well for a place to start seed if you have some clear plastic to create a greenhouse effect.