Sign in to follow this  
readytogo1955

Don`t Forget the Inevitable is Comming.

I currently reload my brass. I highly recommend that you buy your bullets and don't smelt them from lead. I have never melted my own lead but know it can be h highly dangerous due to the fumes so make sure you know what you are doing and have very good ventilation.

Tinderwolf,did the smelting thing several years ago,for a .50 cal blackpowder rifle,it was a mess,you really had to like it,but I have notice at the range that several shooters got into it,but that said,your right,is a

very dangerous hobby.

I worked part time years ago blending lead to make #2 alloy for a local comm. reloading company. Melt 200 to 300 lbs a day on Sat. in a small shed (12 X 14 with window fan ventilation and have my blood tested several times no trace of lead......I believe it a good means to shoot alot for less. I have shot thousand of round thru 1911's 230 gr RN cast bullet, I keep several hundred lbs of #2 alloy for shooting. Does take that much to get started, alot cheaper than shoot jacket bullets, jacket bullet,primers, gun power cost have gone up. It takes me six hours to cast,size 500 230 gr r/n bullets............I will try to figure my cost

a small desk fan on low blowing the fumes away I always did my smelting out side

I have been tested and I can say after 30 years of casting my own bullets I am well within

normal ranges for heavy metals actually your more likely to absorbe from expelled vapor

from firing at a range with little or no ventalation or wind but that takes a lot of shooting

I have fired 100 to 300 rounds a day for at least 5 years and then 6 times or more a year

I got bored and just quit altogher till the last 5 years

I know I shot a pickup load of 22 when I was a kid and casted bullets since I was 13

although you may not reload much if you have or can getting the molds for your calibers is not

a negative or fishing weight molds as if you need to make money in bad times or have trade goods

lead casting can be used in many applications other than these.