Sign in to follow this  
MommyLiberty5013

Tell Me More About BO Routes.

Kinda proud of myself.

I loaded the kids in the car this morning and started out driving my BO route. (FYI: It's 200 miles from our place to my ILs) so I couldn't drive the whole thing.

We are supposed to have multiple routes. Our's will not include any Interstates. But there are times when a State or County Road is necessary (or most convenient). As long as we are away from congested areas and in rural locations, is driving these roads okay?

I also investigated many residential roads and gravel ones too to see where they all connect.

Lastly, what is a "choke point?" And, if the SHTF, then can we expect law enforcement or military blocking or patroling certain points of access? Maybe even state borders? (I have to get from MN to IA). What types of places would you consider good or excellent spots to stop and rest?

Kinda proud of myself.

I loaded the kids in the car this morning and started out driving my BO route. (FYI: It's 200 miles from our place to my ILs) so I couldn't drive the whole thing.

We are supposed to have multiple routes. Our's will not include any Interstates. But there are times when a State or County Road is necessary (or most convenient). As long as we are away from congested areas and in rural locations, is driving these roads okay?

I also investigated many residential roads and gravel ones too to see where they all connect.

Lastly, what is a "choke point?" And, if the SHTF, then can we expect law enforcement or military blocking or patroling certain points of access? Maybe even state borders? (I have to get from MN to IA). What types of places would you consider good or excellent spots to stop and rest?

first we need to identify what S has htf. Floods are not handled the same way a complete economical collapse would be. You need multiple scenario responses. Yes blockades could be a reality. A choke point or a bottle neck in an area that is geographically constraining. the result is that whatever is moving thru the choke point has two choices of movement( forward or backward). Think of a choke point as a single door to a crowded concert hall. Not what you want if you need to evade and escape. Interstates are prone to congestion and back roads might be blocked by locals. plan for both. have maps with you. Areas to rest could be in the wide open where others approaching can be spotted with lots of time to prepare an response or escape. Heavily concealed areas offer good areas to rest as well. with either i would have a watch person at all times.

Edited by awake

MommyLiberty5013,

It sounds like you have started to really put together a solid plan, keep up the hard work. Keep in mind that many back roads may be subject to seasonal changes such as heavy water erosion or washout. The choke points can also be geographic regions where there might only be one route over, such as a mountain pass.

200 miles is quite a journey, so plan for extra fuel and the potential for mechanical breakdown. As for the in-laws, that's low on my list of places to go-but I do understand. Best of luck.

M.L.

Do a topo map of your route..google maps..

first look for all the intersecting roads that leads and crosses your route.If any are conecting from a major road,than have a way around it..what towns are close by?you will need to have the information on them also,can they be harmfull or helpfull?.my consern is at 35 miles an hour(good speed for a country road)it will take 12 hours..please have at least 3 places where you can stop and get information on what is happening(a cb radio/hamm radio/am fm radio)and a place to rest and recover because your nerves are going to be tight!!Also a couple of stashs would be nice/basic stuff!

preplanning....never go in BLIND!!

A choke point is for and example..Rt 81 south from winchester Va.it hits rt64 comming from Major citys in Va.both north and south directions on rt81 will be cramped with major moving of trucks and people..

ever small town you know about on the way is a possible refuse and information area..just knowing what the town has (reserve unit?national guard?) helps...

JMO..keep us informed..

Something else, you may want to consider, is the website: radio reference.com. There you can stream online areas of the country you may be going through or to, to listen to their public safety dispatch, 911 calls for service, it's a police scanner site.

That will give you an idea of "activity" in the area you are heading to or through, and most importantly, how LONG it takes law enforcement to arrive on scene, from time of dispatch. Ditto to above counsel as well. Know your (minimum) three alternate routes by memory in the dark as well as daytime. Places can and DO "look differently" when it is dark and no street lights or ambient light from stars or moon is available. I detest the prairie areas, as there are no landmarks for this boy! Flat wide open. space with little or no trees creeps me out.