Sign in to follow this  
readytogo1955

Good News For Gun Owners

Bama is weird when it comes to permits. It's a "May Issue" state which means the Sheriff can turn you down even if you passed the background check. But, there are surprisingly few places we can't carry if we have a permit. The only thing the state rules spell out is no carry at Public demonstrations. And if you have a pistol in your car, you'd better have a permit. Most LEO's I've talked to say (officially!) that you should unload the gun and put it in a case in the trunk if you have no permit. I did talk to one about it and his response was, "if you're not speeding or doing anything illegal, I'd have it where I could reach it. This place is dangerous!". Any place that is posted "No Guns" has no rule of law but they can ask you to leave. If you don't then you're trespassing with a gun. We can even carry on school property, but I have a feeling it better be real concealed!

Hossfly,

There are a lot of things you CAN do that may not be legal or, even if legal, not prudent. If you don't get caught there is no limit to what you can do. Still, I'd rather not take chances on spending time in jail. Of course it is a little simpler here in Texas.

Texas is a 'shall issue' state; I guess that makes a big difference. We also are pushing toward an open carry law in the next legislature. That will be good. Texas also uses the BATFE definitions of firearms. With that as a fact, i checked with Texas Law Shield about whether or not Texas gun laws apply to Cap and Ball revolvers. Actually the laws do NOT apply! It IS legal in Texas to strap a couple of Walker Colts (.44-60) to your hips and, IF you can stand with that much weight, stroll down the main street of Houston. Not especially prudent, of course. You'll beat the rap but you probably won't beat the ride downtown!

In Texas, it is legal to carry inside the capital building! In fact, if you have a CHL, you do not go through the scanners at all; you're just waved through the opening the congress persons use. Even the governor carries concealed - shot a coyote while out jogging in an Austin park!

I guess it is all a state of mind.

That's why yer Gov was on my short list Capt! I respect him. I have had a CCW for about a year now. The wife looks at me funny when I stick my holster and gun on just to go to the store for milk, but I don't plan on being a sheeple. Oh, I never carried illegally. Don't want you thinking I would do that.

Edited by Hossfly

That's why yer Gov was on my short list Capt! I respect him. I have had a CCW for about a year now. The wife looks at me funny when I stick my holster and gun on just to go to the store for milk, but I don't plan on being a sheeple. Oh, I never carried illegally. Don't want you thinking I would do that.

Agreed, sir. I'm never 'not armed' if it is legal to be armed. The ONLY time I have 'A' gun on me is when I'm relaxing at home. Otherwise it is more than one!