Sign in to follow this  
readytogo1955

Good News For Gun Owners

You know....I have been toying with getting a concealed carry license, but I am vacillating on the benefits and the responsibilities of it. Back and forth, I can't settle my mind on one side or the other.

Tell me in your own words:

WHY would it be a good idea or not to get a carry permit? I do not have any situation currently that would cause me to need one. But one never knows...

Devildog, just because you have one does not obligate you to carry. You can carry every day, just if you feel the need based on where you are going, or never use it. The responsibilities are significant but so is you, your family or a random innocent surviving a life or death situation. I have never removed mine from the holster and hope I never have to, but if that day arises ... I will.

One of the biggest bonuses of attending the class for me was learning the laws. If anyone thinks that common sense has anything to do with the use of deadly force they better bone up.

I have been noticing a rise in support people are getting from the general public when things like this come up,. I think people are getting sick of being victims and our leaders telling us to curl into the fetal position and cooperate with criminals if attacked.

You know....I have been toying with getting a concealed carry license, but I am vacillating on the benefits and the responsibilities of it. Back and forth, I can't settle my mind on one side or the other.

WHY would it be a good idea or not to get a carry permit? I do not have any situation currently that would cause me to need one. But one never knows...

As said you can choose to use it when and where you choose, but you should also consider that by doing this you are obtaining a permit that shows that you have trained, proven your good citizenship, paided taxes, these are possibly a way to protect your rights if laws start to slip the wrong way! And here in Missouri we fought for this right so I for one took advantage of it, and for me, as I sit safely in my hotel room in Detroit, I have enjoyed the safety and security afforded me by my CCW as I worked today in a less than safe neighborhood.

Edited by DonDon

I believe the best reason to get one is so you could carry the handgun concealed if you chose to at a later date. Having one doesn't necessitate that you put it to use. I had one that I've maintained over the years even though I'm exempt and don't need it to carry concealed. Having it though facilitates firearms purchases. I can walk into a store, fill out the form, puchase the gun, and walk out without so much as waiting for the clerk to call in the background check.

First the why not reason:

You are in the system. If I get pulled over, carrying or not, the officer KNOWS I have the permit. Depending on the LEO he may either be relieved that I've been checked or more nervous that I may be armed (I could be illegally anyway so I'm not sure how big a deal this is for you). The enforcement folks know I have a CHL so they KNOW that I probably have a firearm. The Feds know it as well. If I only buy from individuals using cash, there is no record of my owning firearms. This could be a very real plus.

Now the reasons why:

Other than the obvious, I can carry, reason is the training and knowledge of the law. Good things to know. There is also the ability to transport weapons - depending on your state, how you may carry a weapon in your car. I've actually been places where it was technically illegal to carry a new firearm home from the gun store unless you have a CHL! Going to or from the range, or anywhere else for that matter, it eases the 'why guns in your car' question if you have the CHL. If you have to use your weapon, you are not facing gun law violations for 'having an unlicensed firearm'. A completely legal use of the firearm could still get you a felony if someone decided you were illegally carrying concealed.

Finally is the ability to buy guns without the background check. Every time you are run through the federal system to buy a gun, a record is made that you have purchased (or are trying to purchase) one or more firearms and from where. With a CHL that check is not needed. The gun shop still keeps their paper records but the feds don't know I bought something from my local lead launcher purveyor. If the internet is down, I can still buy from a gun store since I don't NEED a background check. An investigative body can't just go to the fed records to see what stores ran checks on me to see which stores they need to check for my records.

Ease of transport, ability to purchase without the (additional) background checks, capability of legal concealed carry; strong reasons to have a CHL, even if you never carry.

Just my not so humble opinion.

as to the first part of this post

Great, the man defended himself and other citizens but since Colorado it has been brushed aside the mainstream media cannot and will not concede that people can defend themselves all I see is Colorado

and Zimmerman,

Nope they are not going to play up anything positive but then FOX news follows the pack cannot lead

only follow they are nothing more than a bunch of morons too proud to see that being fair in the light

of what literally amounts to an inferno of anti gun drivel with a dribble of common sense.

they have not used the incident to show that Americans are able to take care of ourselves and we do not need the nanny state.

Its better to have and not need, than to need and not have.

If you have a birth certificate, went to a public school, driver's license, served in Military, bought anything car or home, voter card, SSN....the Fed's have your info, who you are, where you are, whatever they need...having a carry permit does not make you any easier to track.....better to have it than not....

Well...

When I was younger I ended up one the wrong side of two armed robberies...after that I carried at work <there were no CHLs in those days>, corporate policy was no firearms. I told my manager that I would be carrying and if he wanted me to find another job fine...no hard feelings from my end. He thought about it for about 5 minutes and then made sure I was at the front counter whenever he started to close the books and get the money ready for the bank drop for the night. Go figure.

Best answer I can give you is the same one I gave my wife...

Told her I'd rather carry for 20 years and never need it, than not have one and need it once.

lets see.

67% of all burglaries and rapes occur from a home invasion.

the highways are full of road rage.

i would do whatever it takes to defend my family.

you may find that you cant always escape a bad situation.

and i never plan to be in an accident but i still buckle up.

i have c/c for longer than some of you have been around. never once have I had to use my firearm to defend myself or family. I pray that i never have to. I pray that you never have to as well. But if that time comes i pray that you can defend yourself and yours. I guess you could say that i carry and prep and hope that each was never needed.

lets see.

67% of all burglaries and rapes occur from a home invasion.

the highways are full of road rage.

i would do whatever it takes to defend my family.

you may find that you cant always escape a bad situation.

and i never plan to be in an accident but i still buckle up.

i have c/c for longer than some of you have been around. never once have I had to use my firearm to defend myself or family. I pray that i never have to. I pray that you never have to as well. But if that time comes i pray that you can defend yourself and yours. I guess you could say that i carry and prep and hope that each was never needed.

Awake,

I'm also in the old wolf category. One thing I've noticed; folks that carry and are used to carrying project a different 'persona' that potential victims. I've been in small groups and been able to figure out about 80% of the time who is packing just by the way they act and carry themselves. I strongly suspect that the bad guys (at least those with ANY survival instinct at all) can also make this determination. The reason you've never had to use your weapon may be because the BG's seek easier prey. They may not know WHY they give you a pass, but they do seem to do so.

No proof of course but it seems to be true.

I cannot hurt you to have a pistol permit. Even if you do not carry then its just insurance for if you need to carry for some odd reason. Maybe taking a gun to a friends house to sell, trade, etc.. or going into a gun store with a long walk from the lot, just in case you do not go directly back to your car. All easy ways you might need to "carry" but not really "carry" for anticipated defensive purposes.

First the why not reason:

Finally is the ability to buy guns without the background check. . . . .

I am going to try that this week and see if true in Bama. Our permits are handed out fairly easily. Three signatures from citizens who attest you "knowing you without mental illness" and a quick background check for past or pending felony.

Then its $7.50 and $2.50 extra for a laminated copy and you are out the door with a concealed weapon permit. It also auto renews each year for $7.50 by mailing in a check [i guess they update the background].

Thanks for the tip as it will save time in my lunch break from filling out the paper work for background info.

I like that GAP,enough said;I will also recomend to those that carry,to go to the range once in a while,have some kind of proof that you have practice,just in case.

RTG,

Anyone who owns a weapon has committed to going to the range regularly; doing anything less is irresponsible not to mention dangerous as H*LL!

IF you own a gun then, when you have it at least, you have given up the right to get angry, to get insulted, to be offended, or any similar emotions or attitudes. Carrying a lethal weapon may mean you back down when you are right because the result of being assertive may mean someone dies. ONLY a bloody fool wants to be in a two way lead exchange. They are terrifying and you don't always win! You learn not to drink 'adult beverages' in public (even if it is legal for you) because you are carrying death in your holster. You are no longer able to be in condition green - you are forever alert and on edge. You are always at condition orange; you must decide instantly matters of life and death. YOU ARE A GUN FIGHTER when you carry so you must act like it. Not the dumb, punk kid in the westerns out to make a name for themselves but the reluctant warrior who is always alert, always on edge and always, always looking for ways to avoid trouble because the results of trouble are horrific.

Having the CHL has a great many pluses and I recommend getting one. The down side is that you MUST be adult enough to recognize that TV glorification of gunfights is just so much horse manure. Failure to understand that will, not may but WILL, cause problems and pain for many folks.

Devildog,

I lived in Florida for a long time. I currently live in Michigan.

I got my Florida permit and I will be getting my Michigan permit not to carry, but to protect myself. Having a concealed permit adds a layer of protection and a margin for error. For example, without a concealed carry permit simply driving to the range and back does incur a small amount of risk.

In Michigan, it is my understanding that you can have your weapon in your vehicle if in route to or returning from the practice range, but you are not allowed to go anywhere else on the way. Florida has some similar rules where a concealed carry permit adds a small layer of protection.

Finally is the ability to buy guns without the background check. Every time you are run through the federal system to buy a gun, a record is made that you have purchased (or are trying to purchase) one or more firearms and from where. With a CHL that check is not needed. The gun shop still keeps their paper records but the feds don't know I bought something from my local lead launcher purveyor. .......

Tried that on Thursday. Bought two new pistols and they would not take my permit in lieu of running the backgroung.

AL permit does nto require a class, training, or test, just register with Sheriff and so they do a check everytime and twice for met Thursday b/c I bought two guns.

Tried that on Thursday. Bought two new pistols and they would not take my permit in lieu of running the backgroung.

AL permit does nto require a class, training, or test, just register with Sheriff and so they do a check everytime and twice for met Thursday b/c I bought two guns.

THAT is strange - I've never heard of 'no background check'. Since Tx and Al have reciprocity I'm really curious. It is possible that your local store is incorrect. I don't know, of course, but it does seem strange.

THAT is strange - I've never heard of 'no background check'. Since Tx and Al have reciprocity I'm really curious. It is possible that your local store is incorrect. I don't know, of course, but it does seem strange.

Gun store I used is one of the better in Birmingham and I take there word as 90% accurate although 10% can burn you more often than not.

They said that states like FL (salesman was from and had CCW from FL) had a much more in depth process to the CCW, classes, range class, and although they issued a permit for longer than one year it was updated randomly by the state and checked much more in depth than ours that just bounces of the list of felons, indictments, and other crimes that get you on the no gun list.

He also indicated that most states use the permit to waive the waiting period and here in AL the waiting period is just doing the paperwork,

Gun store I used is one of the better in Birmingham and I take there word as 90% accurate although 10% can burn you more often than not.

They said that states like FL (salesman was from and had CCW from FL) had a much more in depth process to the CCW, classes, range class, and although they issued a permit for longer than one year it was updated randomly by the state and checked much more in depth than ours that just bounces of the list of felons, indictments, and other crimes that get you on the no gun list.

He also indicated that most states use the permit to waive the waiting period and here in AL the waiting period is just doing the paperwork,

Thanks, guys. My Texas CHL is good for 5 years, had a full up background check, required range time and a test on both shooting skill and the law. With the TX CHL there is no background check when I go to buy a firearm; just fill out the transfer paperwork and go. If the internet is down, I can still buy. Interesting the differences.

Bama is weird when it comes to permits. It's a "May Issue" state which means the Sheriff can turn you down even if you passed the background check. But, there are surprisingly few places we can't carry if we have a permit. The only thing the state rules spell out is no carry at Public demonstrations. And if you have a pistol in your car, you'd better have a permit. Most LEO's I've talked to say (officially!) that you should unload the gun and put it in a case in the trunk if you have no permit. I did talk to one about it and his response was, "if you're not speeding or doing anything illegal, I'd have it where I could reach it. This place is dangerous!". Any place that is posted "No Guns" has no rule of law but they can ask you to leave. If you don't then you're trespassing with a gun. We can even carry on school property, but I have a feeling it better be real concealed!