Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ImBuggingOutMan

Trophy hunt?

24 posts in this topic

Anyone ever gone on a guided trophy hunt?

If so how was the experience? Is it worth the large price tag?

I'm sure there's gonna be some responses on how guided hunts aren't really hunting, but you try finding a trophy buck during Ohio deer season without acreage of your own.

I have hunted my whole life and I have been blessed with good hunting grounds so I won't go into my philosophy about guided hunts.The only guided hunt I ever went on was duck hunting in Arkansas which I got to say was awesome. I had only hunted in the midewest so to get in a flooded rice field where there were literally thousands of ducks to pick from was quite the experiance. My dad paid for us so i'm not sure how much but i'm sure it was a couple hundred if not five. I'm sure the price tag for a trophy hunt, like a big buck or sheep is pretty steep. I guess if your hunting experiances are poor than the value of the price for such a hunt is up to you. Not saying its wrong and trust me if I had the opportunity to get a big buck while I was out I wouldn't turn it down, but personally I like to hunt for the meat and those big bucks don't have the best meat. Anyway i'll get off of my soap box and sorry if that didn't really help much.

The one place I was looking at offers a 125" minimum buck, and a doe to fill the tag (not sure how different Ohio hunting regulations are) I'm not trying to get a huge 18 point bull, just a decent deer, not only for the trophy, but the buckskin and meat as well. I'll eat it even if it's tough. I didn't have the privilege of having a family of hunters, I'm the only one with the interest in it.

I wish I had a place to find it on my own, I just can't see it happening without a friend or a guide.

Bugging, I'm not against using guides for areas that are away from home, but I probably have a different outlook on a "trophy". To me a hunting "trophy" is the steak on the grill or on a spit over a camp fire. Antlers to me are useful in making knife handles, awl handles, buttons, candle holders, bullet starters for my muzzleloader, etc and I only talk about putting them on the wall to aggravate my wife...lol.

If you got the money and time "Go for It"..

For me "trophy"is meat in freezer or dryed..lol

Same here.Meat on the plate is better then a head on the wall.

I have never gone, but my brother went on one in Colorado (i think) guide took him out showed where the bull was (Elk) and that was that....not same as real hunting..he was a little disappointed in that, JMHO,,,oh i dont think it was a 'trophy hunt' just a regular hunt but it was still quite expensive but it was a nice bull and filled the freezer nicely:D

Edited by rayz

There are trophies and then there are TROPHIES! I have no desire to go out, year after year, looking for Boone and Crockett trophies. Some do and I do not begrudge them the activity. I don't do much hunting but I would like to take a buffalo with a Sharps 'Big Fifty' just because it is a tie to my western heritage. Besides, a freezer full of buffalo meat and a rug of the hide would be cool. By the time the trip is paid for the meat would be cheaper ordered from a supplier, no doubt, but that isn't the point.

A kid's (or adult's for that matter) first buck is a trophy no matter the size. There are "hunts" where the "outfitter" (pardon the use of the word in this case) takes you to a stand near where he has been feeding (read baiting) the animals all year and you get your pick of 4 or 5 that come there every day. Not EXACTLY what I mean by a hunt. An animal that I have taken after a stalk (or by just plain dumb luck - I won't turn down luck when I can get it, I just try not to plan on it) is something I've earned, not bought.

I know; you earn the money you spend on a hunt, regardless of type, but shooting fish in a barrel is just not hunting to me. A hunt should require some level of skill by the hunter, even if guided. A hunter passes on the doubtful shot, even on an animal he REALLY wants. A hunter respects his animal whether he is meat hunting for himself or is trophy hunting. The nimrod ( second meaning - http://ask.yahoo.com/20040211.html ) goes out, shoots at everything, misses a lot and often wounds an animal. He will shoot at that trophy animal 600 yards out even though he can't reliably hit the broad side of a barn from the inside!:mad:

Guided hunts are great for areas you are not familiar with or for new hunters or for an animal you've never hunted before or just to not have to worry about all the details of the hunt or transporting ALL the required gear. If I ever get to go after Alaskan Brown, it will be a guided hunt and I want to do some horseback hunting one day, for example. That means an outfitter.

Guess I'm opinionated, huh? :rolleyes:

I agree with the capt IMO hunting isnt about the killing of the animals its more about getting out their in nature leaving all your problems un the truck and just enjoy yourself but at the same time it is perfectly understandable getting a guide if you dont know the area or your not familar with the species but I would much rather make friends who would help me in finding a spot and im sure if you told us where you were wanting to go hunting their would be at least one person from this site who knows the area and wouldnt mind taking you I know I wouldnt so if your ever in Virginia during deer season let me know and well take off

BugOut, one friend went to a guided hunt where they had a minimum size of 140. He shot the biggest buck he had ever seen. And for killing the largest buck he ever saw, he was fined $500 for shooting an under-sized deer. I think he shall never visit that place again. He also went on a hog hunt and was very successful. His son actually killed one hog using only a knife… a big knife.

I’d like to go on one but it would have to be a fair chase hunt. Some places have 400 acres all fenced in and guarantee a kill. That’s not hunting. That’s just killing. I’d love a hunt in Alaska or Canada but will never do it. I can’t walk well enough to be able to navigate the terrain well enough.

EXCoastie,

that is a bit of my problem. I have a shattered heel; I can walk well enough most times but a serious, out in the tall and uncut, hunt means horses or I can't really go. I'm not exactly stealthy in the woods anymore.:rolleyes:

My neighbor is taking me hog hunting this fall. He plans to be up in a deer stand with bow and arrow looking for deer and I'll be lookin for hogs with a rifle (sorry Pig!). I can't wait! A full freezer sure is a nice thing and I am a fan of good BBQ since I'm a Memphis boy. Now if I could find wild cows and shoot a steak or two, I'd really be happy!

My neighbor is taking me hog hunting this fall. He plans to be up in a deer stand with bow and arrow looking for deer and I'll be lookin for hogs with a rifle (sorry Pig!). I can't wait! A full freezer sure is a nice thing and I am a fan of good BBQ since I'm a Memphis boy. Now if I could find wild cows and shoot a steak or two, I'd really be happy!

Hossfly,

good luck, sir, and enjoy the hunt. A small word of advice; make sure you have a sidearm, preferably .357 Mag or larger. A wounded or ticked off hog can be a REALLY dangerous critter. Even if you're up a tree, you might be stuck there if the firearm malfunctions. I spent some uncomfortable time up a tree as a boy while pig hunting because I didn't have a side arm and I was a little dumb! When you are on the ground getting the deer or hog you guys bagged, you're hog bait! Be careful - hogs ARE dangerous game.

lol no worries Hoss ....the reason they call me pig is..."You are what you eat"...best of luck on that hunt.(just remember that anything over 150lbs can be gamey(taste like piss)....about 40lbs split down the middle and smoked is AWESOME.)

Went out west for a muley/whitetail hunt. Didn't see anything worth shooting till after shooting hours on the last day. Worst $3k I have ever spent. Should have taken the wife on a cruise or something else.

Basically a "Trophy Hunt" is paying someone to (i) show you where to hunt or with access to great places that you could not - i.e. Texas, Illinois, or (ii) going out west or Alaska where you need a guide to travel the terrain.

I would love to go out west or to Alaska to see the country but I kill enough whitetails here that paying thousands of dollars for one with bigger antlers just does not get me that excited.

Basically a "Trophy Hunt" is paying someone to (i) show you where to hunt or with access to great places that you could not - i.e. Texas, Illinois, or (ii) going out west or Alaska where you need a guide to travel the terrain.

I would love to go out west or to Alaska to see the country but I kill enough whitetails here that paying thousands of dollars for one with bigger antlers just does not get me that excited.

Read a quote in a hunting mag years (decades?) ago that went something like "If I could only hunt ONE animal for the rest of my life, it would be the White Tail deer!" That is some really good hunting. There are places I want to go hunt, more for the places and the connection with history than for a trophy. Personally, I'd rather do the Big Sky hunt than an African hunt. A Big Sky hunt for Big Horn, Brown Bear, Buffalo, Prong Horn and such would be quite a safari; there was a reason the rich of Europe came to the Western US for safari with about as much frequency as Africa for quite a while. Then we got too civilized but the game is still there in the right places.

I wouldn't be asking about the paid hunt if I had access or friends with access to land I could hunt on. Living in the city sucks. I can't kill the deer I do see, and that's a pity cuz I've been watching a buck in the metroparks for three years, and he's starting to get handsome now..

Was in New Mexico back around the 4th of July...they had mule deer come into the parking lot of the hotel I was staying at. Saw a total of about 10 at one time in various locations during the day.

Nice big fat healthy looking ones...

My wife looked over at me while I was watching a pair of them and says, "Don't even think about it...".

<sigh>

My step dad has gone on many guided hunts, from africa to alaska. He always has a great time and is willing to pay the price as we dont have very much land ourselves. He usually never has anything bad to say about them and almost always comes back with what he wanted. He has his african big five already and is working on some of the north american ones. I dont think you can go wrong with a guided hunt as you are paying for what you get.