Sign in to follow this  
MommyLiberty5013

BO Where?????

Hi. I'm new here as of today and I'm finding this site to be a huge help. I do have a few newbie questions about locations and stashes so I aplogize if they have been covered previously.

1. How far away should your location and stash be from your home?

2. What type of land to you have these things on? Here's my problem, my husband and I don't own any land to build something or stash something on, legally. Is this a concern? Or, do you hide something in a park off a trail somewhere???

3. Also, our final BO location is at my in-laws home in rural Iowa, but we have to go 200 miles in our BOV (back roads, planned out of course) to get there. Should we have something mid-way?

As far as the stashing goes my only opinion would be to do it on you own land otherwise you could get into some trouble but then again I don't have any stashes. You should always have multiple points along your route that you feel would safe and good to bed down for the night just in case you can't get to your bol. My bol is twenty miles away and I have four different routes to get there.

Welcome, this is a point of some contention here, we are after all " survival cache" so many feel that stashing supplies on several of the routes that you could take is a good idea. I for one am not big on committing resources to caches that I may never see again, for sure you will need to plan as many routes and contingency plan as possible, for example where I live we have several major bridges over major rivers, my get home may involve crossing rivers after a major earthquake( as we are in an area where we are overdue) bug out to my mothers south with the family crosses two major rivers, bugging north to my fathers no major bridges just overpasses which I can get around using the ramps

Hi. I'm new here as of today and I'm finding this site to be a huge help. I do have a few newbie questions about locations and stashes so I aplogize if they have been covered previously.

2. What type of land to you have these things on? Here's my problem, my husband and I don't own any land to build something or stash something on, legally. Is this a concern? Or, do you hide something in a park off a trail somewhere???

3. Also, our final BO location is at my in-laws home in rural Iowa, but we have to go 200 miles in our BOV (back roads, planned out of course) to get there. Should we have something mid-way?

are there any friends along the way to your inlaws? those would be good places to "stash" stuff

you could put it in a park off trail but it will take alot of work to do it without getting caught.

200 miles isn't too bad. I also would be hesitant to stash anything along the way unless it's your property or someone you trust with your life. Your house and the in-laws place would be the two areas I would focus on. Welcome aboard and great foresight in navigating alternative courses to get to your BOL.

I think for you just make sure you have sufficient amount of gas. Always keep your vehicle full. Keep at least enough gas containers and stabil to get you to your in-laws. And keep in mind the 200 miles can very quickly multiply if you have to take alternate routes!

I think for you just make sure you have sufficient amount of gas. Always keep your vehicle full. Keep at least enough gas containers and stabil to get you to your in-laws. And keep in mind the 200 miles can very quickly multiply if you have to take alternate routes!

or it could be made worse with traffic jams, road blocks and check points.

If there is a town about half way then you could consider a small storage unit if the price waa right. There are some fuel replace ideas that may be of consideration.

(1)

Found with Bing search

Long storage gasoline substitute?

Uncategorized

by admin

A problem with gasoline is that it’s a mixture of many different hydrocarbons, and now has alcohols added. This mixture goes bad over time, as the different molecules settle out or evaporate. Keeping it cool and adding stabilizers will lengthen that time to a year or so, but a year isn’t really long-term storage.

I think that I’ve found a way around that, although it costs a lot of money.

Toluene is an aromatic hydrocarbon that is a major component of gasoline. In the US, it comprises between 20-40%, depending on the gasoline mix. In foreign countries, toluene can be up to 80% of the gasoline mix. Toluene has an octane rating of 114, and is commonly used for ‘juicing’ gasoline by street racers. It’s sold by hardware stores as a thinner. Toluene by itself won’t go bad, so is excellent for long-term storage.

A car engine isn’t designed to run on 114 octane gas, so this needs a mixer to bring that down to ~90 octane. I finally settled on napthalene, otherwise known as Coleman fuel or white gas. It’s a mixture, but of a few larger hydrocarbons, and will last a minimum of 5 years in storage. This has a low octane rating, so running a car on white gas is not a good idea, but as a mixer it’s pretty good.

I tested these on my Ford F-150 pickup truck. It has two tanks, so I ran one dry and used that for testing my mixes with. This way, I could switch to the other tank if needed. That vehicle liked a mix of 80% toluene and 20% white gas, it ran very happily with excellent power and no knocking under load.

Now we come to the disclaimers. Toluene is considered a carcinogen, since it is an aromatic hydrocarbon (it’s a benzene molecule with a methane atom stuck on the outside). I take no responsibility for anyone else’s vehicles, I tried this only with my own. This is an emergency-only use of materials ordinarily way too expensive to pour into a gas tank. I am not a mechanic, nor do I play one on TV.

Toluene currently costs $15 a gallon at the local hardware store, less in larger quantities. White gas runs around the same, but can be found at supermarkets. Face it, if there was a gasoline substitute that worked as well or better, needed no added equipment and stored well at a lower cost, we’d all be using it. For caches that you want to have fuel but don’t want to dig up and replace every year, this may be the way to go.

This post has no tag

(2) A sales person used the product seafoam to make it to the gas station after running out of fuel...said it smoked bad but it beat walking. (He carried a couple of cases in his truck for samples)

Just be sure of the policy at the storage company....as well as accessability of your unit if SHTF.

Welcome to the forums. Your BOL distance sometimes cannot be something you have much control over.... i.e., you plan on your in-laws but probably must live where you do for work. As the others have stated, I'd have my items (stockpile is such a negative term with big brother) at my BOL and then have the necessary supplies (plus a contingency amount) at home to take with (especially since you are planning on driving). If possible, you can also plant non invasive edible perennial plants (berries, maybe fruit trees, lamb's quarter, solomon seal, cattails, etc) at certain points along your route in public parks. These do not require much cultivation and can offer some food for emergencies if you must abandon your vehicle. I'd look for locations that you would be forced to reroute your travels to if on foot, so more planning may be necessary.

I agree with several commenters about whether you have a close friend or family member along the route to leave things with. Leaving an unsecured cache is risky at best and I wouldn't depend on it being there when I needed it. There are too many people using metal detectors and they may just stumble on your cache by accident and decide they like what they found.

I like the Arbor day cover and plant several trees (fruit and hardwoods) even tho I know it will be years before they produce for me. I may not be able to use it, but I am planning forward for my family and future preppers; and berries are sweet enough to offer the kids a "treat" even in a bad situation.

http://survivalcache.com/survival-eating-part-3-prepper-emergency-food/

Here is a link to an article I wrote that may give you some ideas or at least a place to begin your own studies. It's not the answer to everything (or probably anything) but might give a starting point. Good luck.

Just for your Consideration Im going to Play the "Devils Advocate"..

Winter is coming and so is the Election!!

Winter is the perfect time to Control a Large mass of people/the need for heat/food is at its greatest....

Only a well Prepared person can survive on there own..

Example..France going into Russia in the fall with out any proper rations..1 million Horses died,many were for food...France Never recovered!!!!

Waterloo was the result/and we got a DEAl on Louisianna....

Why even consider a stash that will be hidden for over a year???

JMO is that we will have the need of basic food this year!!!and going into next year we will NEED all the skills we have to survive...

Yes I have faith/faith that says DONT TRUST OTHERS to feed me and mine with out giving up my God given Rights !!!!

Take advantage of preping now/if moving 200 miles to your bov,than stash along a road some fuel/ammo..get a lay out of a secure sleeping area,rest spot..Practice the move on the back roads while you can..50 foot off the road is a perfect area in the woods for a stash.leave a marker that only you know about..

Even if Im wrong/you still have a stash that you can get in the spring and wont have to worry about purchasing in the future..

JMO and I know it stinks...................

Edited by 101matt

Your opinion does not stink Matt.....a cache or two could make a world of difference (if ) the time comes. If a BOL is your plan then you need to be able to get there, and that could be the hardest thing you will have to do...preferably with a small group moving together to cover and protect the move...

Thanks rjburk..Im fighting off some bad news..and trying to stay positive..

Always have a Plan B...C...D..on everything.I learned it the hard way and wont let surcomstances effect my desisions again..I just adjust and keep going..

Like Rod says if you cant GO right GO left..just keep going..

Like it has been stated before,first welcome,storing supplies is a great idea,but location is the problem,security is a problem,weather conditions,distances,preservation time,etc.

Some times predetors are also a problem,I included people also as predetors,where is a will,there is a way.

Good Luck.

Well here is my 2 cents worth:

Caches should be small I have about a half dozen you have to have a good landmark that is unlikely to be moved grave sites are one of the best,

grandma can't bake your cookies but she can mark where your long term cookies are.

a good cache will have almost everything a BOB has broken up to fit in 3 or 4 and 6 inch PVC and more than one.

do not empty out a cache you never know if you may have to backtrack take what you need and leave the rest

Metal articles need to be dipped in very light coat of cosmoline and sealed in a zip lock bag{s} plural or use rust pruff cloth or impregnated paper.

Remember that the ground stays a fairly low temperatures and rot rust and depletion of vitality / viability of medications will be slowed.

That being said I think you will see what may be in some of my caches a cache by definition is:

A hiding place used especially for storing provisions.

A place for concealment and safekeeping, as of valuables.

A store of goods or valuables concealed in a hiding place.

I would add for emphasis self defense one needs to have some useful piece of inexpensive IRON raven RG you know what I mean.

Many think it is an adjunct to your bob or a reload as it were that is not a way to think about this what if your beset by thugs and robbed

a reload is not going to get you through it has to encompass the core of survival, defense, protection from the elements fire water food

Your level of hand to hand experience and health dictate what type of defense needs to be cached.

Everyone has their own ideas of what are the main components of their BOB and where you live climate and local resources will factor in

if you life where water is plentiful wasting space on canned or packet water is not needed, but purification methods are.

if you live where there are few trees and overpasses what I would cache and you need are very different .