Sign in to follow this  
tinderwolf

What happened to Survival?

Buckwild very well put. I agree with calling unprepared "crazy" people after the even zombies. I undertand using it as a means of making the topic lighter. What got me going on this topic was the people I encountered who talk only of that. I definitly don't want to take myself too seriously when it comes to prepping for this kind of stuff because I did go through short period of that and it wasn't fun...You start becoming paranoid and turning into a bit of a "looney". Thanks for your input.

@ Capt Bart

"It is highly unlikely that any of the modern game makers are survivalist or preppers."

What a hurtful thing to say. Video games have been paying my bills (and stocking my pile) for 14 years. Zero application of work skills post event? Yep. But that's only 40 hours of my week.

As someone "behind the curtain" of the mystical Xbox and PS3 I can assure we know the difference between a game and reality far better than most folks consuming the media. We wouldn't be very good at crafting the experience if we didn't. My less humble than yours opinion :P

Unless there is a top secret government lab somewhere that is doing experiments on making zombies, the "undead" don't exist.

Well.. the Russians were working on it back in the 1940's...

so who knows what we have now

@ Capt Bart

"It is highly unlikely that any of the modern game makers are survivalist or preppers."

What a hurtful thing to say. Video games have been paying my bills (and stocking my pile) for 14 years. Zero application of work skills post event? Yep. But that's only 40 hours of my week.

As someone "behind the curtain" of the mystical Xbox and PS3 I can assure we know the difference between a game and reality far better than most folks consuming the media. We wouldn't be very good at crafting the experience if we didn't. My less humble than yours opinion :P

Mea culpa, Mea culpa, Mea Maxima Culpa. Sometimes even old dinosaurs, who should probably know better, blow it. No insult intended, sir. My experience with California software companies left an impression that I unfairly applied to every software company and its employees. I was obviously wrong and I apologize.

As to knowing the difference between game and reality, it is less the programmers I worry about than the kids playing the game. I see way too many kids (not all of course, I'll try to avoid that mistake again) who think these games are real world. As long as there is a reset on the game, it is not real world. That is just the way it is. Same problem I have with the Airsoft for training idea. With PROPER instruction it is a valuable tool. Without proper instruction some really bad (fatal, perhaps) habits can be inculcated in the way we react to things. Skill sets and muscle memory take thought to work through and correct if they are learned incorrectly the first time. We fight like we train and if we train to shoot a bazillion rounds at our targets, that is how we will fight when it is for score. My point (assuming I had one) was to not learn bad habits. Games are sold to make a profit for the maker. Not one thing wrong with that. It is a mistake, however, to think that a game that was sold to make money as an "action" game has survival training as a major factor in the game. If it does at all, I'd suggest that it is a very rare game indeed.

Again, my apologies for an invalid stereotype; I should have known better. Thank you for pointing it out to me. Now, does anyone have any Tabasco? Crow goes down better with a little spice on it.

Edited by Capt Bart

I'd also advise being careful about taking yourself too seriously. Though I can't quantify or justify it I am convinced a sense of humor and humility will be key to the survival of any group. I don't plan to sacrifice mine. ;) Now if I could just find some humility....

I'd loan you my humility since I don't use it much but I can't remember where I left it! You are absolutely correct about a sense of humor. There is an quote from Saint Teresa of Ávila (I think, not sure) that goes "Beware of somber saints!" Simply put, avoid the gloom and doom of folks who won't find the good in the world. Fair enough, without humor life will get you down in the best of times; after TSHTF a little humor can see you through. Well said, sir.

Mea culpa, Mea culpa, Mea Maxima Culpa. Sometimes even old dinosaurs, who should probably know better, blow it. No insult intended, sir. My experience with California software companies left an impression that I unfairly applied to every software company and its employees. I was obviously wrong and I apologize.

No worries, I know I'm and oddity, and likewise I did a few years with So Cal game development companies and realized that I didn't want to live in So Cal before the SHTF, much less afterwards. It will quickly become a warzone when they realize all the water they used to live on came from 2 states away...

Great forums and great moderation, just "to close to home" not to make a comment. :P

Interesting thoughts, heres my response.

I am a gamer and and a survivalist, I love gaming, yes, I've been doing it my whole life to escape from my rough childhood, being extremely poor while watching people spend $250,000 on a birthday party. The only way I can see us saving ourselves is literally, to be extremely persistent with the government to regulate the economy, or (what people seem to be way better at) killing all that oppose whats "Right". Its too bad too many people don't know what "right" is, which is why I prepare for the future, rather then try to change it. I'm not going to invest all my time, patience, and energy convincing everyone to be better people, when in reality peoples views rarely change, especially when there older and have been in there mindset there whole lives. I can convince anyone who will listen to me usually, unfortunately teaching 1 person 1 time the way things really are, doesn't do much, so I prepare. Yes everything I just said is a little off topic but I feel it should be said while its on my mind. But anyways,

It may be just me, it may be everyone, but I bet its mostly me that does this. I have an extremely high level of motivation when it comes to survival. To me its a challenge, just thinking about surviving in the wilderness excites me unlike anything else. I have a thrill to survive, I've done it before, I don't know what it is, but when the odds are against me at something I'm good at and like doing, I get extremely motivated. I had to move my whole house full of stuff mostly by myself and my mom couldn't help much because she's disabled, when I was 13, in the middle of winter, 20 degrees was the days high, I stayed up for 36 hours straight lifting and carrying with no rest and only junk food. I've been through a bunch which helps me with prepping, but I play Call of Duty, Battlefield, Runescape, Skyrim, I am a Top Rated Answerer in Yahoo Answers in the Video Games section, I have beaten every resident evil, left 4 dead (zombie games) and many more. I have more then a year of my life on video games (365 x 24 hours).

Now listen to me, I understand prepping and survival is very serious, but up until about a year ago, I was a monster, I was serious about everything, had not 1 best friend, very few friends at all. I hated school, hated everyone, hated the government, why? Because deep in my mind I was a survivalist, I seen 99.9% of the population as evil, corrupt people too naiive to realize it. I honestly told myself I would grow up to be one of those people that shot someone of high stature in the government and I would go to prison my whole life because it was the right thing to do, kill someone who is corrupt but noone believes it. I was always a kid of logic, always seeing the world for statistics, never emotionally, just statistics. In statistical terms, If 6B people died right now there would be little/no immediate affects on the mother earth, the only planet out of trillions we know is habitable, and is our home which we never take care of. And the earth would become like it was, animals thriving, evolution taking place, while humans affect the world as we should, only a bit more then any other animal species. Instead of about 1000 times more.

(Animals don't burn fossil fuels)

Then over the course of time, doing statistics and math in my head, I realized, It's just not right to see the world to what I originally thought was "logically". If you want to do things efficiently, have a the best mindset and ideas for how life is and should be, you have to see the world emotionally and logically, and spiritually, and all that. You have to justify everything you think, not by denying the truth but by explaining it too yourself in a way that makes sense, and is right. If you see the world as evil then your mind will become evil, you will corrupt yourself, stress over everything, and become evil (which is what I did for most of my life). But the good has triumphed over evil in my brain, and now I see things better. To me that means not killing 6B people (which is total evil and would send me to hell [if there is hell] and make me a sadistic person), but rather prepare myself for when god decides that the population is too much and we are abusing the planet to much. I don't have the right to do something bad to make the world a better place, only god does in my opinion. All my job is, is too promote peace, defend myself and live my life.

I didn't mean to get spiritual here, but its hard to understand where I'm coming from if you don't see my way of life. I want to see where everyone is coming from so I can understand how they think and why they think. By the way I consider myself Christian but I believe a lot of different things Christians might hate me for. To summon it up, I think were all soldiers looking for an army, and many people just pick a Religion and stick with it, I can't just do that, I look for whats right, whats the best course of life and best mind-set to stick with to see everything for what it is, not obscured by strict religious views or personal stereotypes.

I said all that mostly so people will understand where I'm coming from, and because for some reason right now I am thinking more clearly then normal and could word all that better then when I'm not thinking clearly.

But my real point is, I'm 17, and a hardcore gamer, but even more important, a hardcore survivalist, I have never seen the world through someone elses eyes although I've tried; but I have seen many "gamers" think they are the best ever at everything and could survive a zombie apocalypse or whatever. My family talks about it all the time.

But please realize, my personally, I never take it seriously, a zombie apocalypse? The only zombies I see are the ones making $35,000 a year working in an office building for a corporation. A zombie apocalypse is an extremely rare scenario, and in my opinion its just a JOKE, a story to tell, a situation to evaluate, a better story. If a friend or relative or person of interest asks "So what's 1 of your main long-term goals right now". I usually say something like, "I'm preparing for the zombie apocalypse, I'm getting guns and ammo, as well as food and survival supplies". Not only does it make me sound more interesting and fun, but it gives a sense of adventure and fearlessness too me. It also throws people off, If I tell everyone I'm preparing for a zombie apocalypse then they all laugh (some at me some with me) and just think its a joke. If I tell everyone "I'm preparing for the end of the world, I am completely serious, there will more then likely be one or more of the following things;, natural disasters, a global economic meltdown, a nuclear war, an asteroid could hit, or world war beyond what anyone has seen" it becomes more serious and in depth. If I tell a friend who I talk to once in a while all that, hes going to look at me like im crazy, or ask for more information. Same as if I tell an acquaintance or similar. They might try to loot my house, car, garage, whatever I have if something like that does happen.

So I just tell those people about a zombie apocalypse, I only tell the best friends, close family, people on these forums, and people that I trust what I am really doing, and yes sometimes its a bit in between so I tell them both scenarios and make it sort of a joke, but serious at the same time. I have been a survivor as long as I have been playing videogames I believe (beat sonic when I was 2). But my mom tells me I always had it in me to be a trooper as a kid (When I was 2-3 I thought my mom was taken away by monsters, so I mixed some cheese, grapes, and ketchup in a bowl, walked down the street and went looking for her, I was on a mission, with my survival food in my hand [she just went to the store or something, and was mad when she seen me a half-mile down the street). But anyways, my main point is, the zombie apocalypse thing TO ME ATLEAST, is just a fun adventure I like to ponder about. Zombies in the games are impossible I believe, some diseases may make people look similar to a "Zombie" but I don't think anyone is going to be a mindless thing and not human, while still functioning.

A zombie apocalypse is just the funnest scenario in SHTF in some peoples opinions, even though in a true zombie apocalypse or any apocalypse it would be more serious. But its like this, do you want to tell someone a story that makes you sound crazy, or one that makes a good story, is pretty thrilling, and involves what has become a popular hit "Zombies". To me its more of a joke and a way to better explain my situation to not-so-close friends, and to joke with my family.

There are very serious preppers I've seen on Youtube, who have "Zombie Apocalypse" training guides, but half the guide is a serious guide on how to grow something, build something, or another prepping strategy, and the other half is a person in badly-made zombie outfit trying to break through the front door and then he explains how to kill the zombie.

Sorry for the extremely long response but I felt it might have been necesary because you sounded pretty serious about it.

I used to take everything super seriously, then I just chilled out, now for this particular situation you might not need a freakin' holy spiritual change to realize what I am saying. But I was just trying to give a million examples of how not-serious this is, and how its good for us all to joke around a bit, even preppers need to relax a bit because stressing 100% of the time about the end of the world and not even joking about it a bit, is very unhealthy....

(Also I mean absolutely no offense to you sorry if it came off the wrong way)

(Also my page messed up at the end, but I made sure I copy pasted all this before it did, otherwise I wudda done the same thing as you).

Zombies ftw.

Edited by TheDefaultHuman

...without a society, without an infastructure, without humanity and morals and people willing to try to rebuild and make things better than there is no progress. Running around like it will be Mad Max (good movie by the way) is just survival to survive. That is a circular path with no growth or future, and I don't want to be apart of that...

Nor me either. And you and the others have suggested many ways to get out of that loop.

I've survived two fires and several earthquakes that required us to get through more than a week without running water or electricity. We were prepared only in the sense that we had lots of food and water stored in my shop in nitrogen-packed cans. We could stay put for a very long time, but we had a truck/camper as a mobile BOB in case we had to evacuate to our BOL. We were fortunate not to have to deal with gangs roaming the neighborhood with an attitude and an appetite for violence or theft. Mostly because we lived in the country, not the city. Didn't call them zombies then.

Until the Internet became what it is today, with forums and other information, what I "knew" came mostly from books like Alas Babylon, Earth Abides and Lucifer's Hammer. All of those novels focused on the growth of small groups working together to make life as close to the way it was before SHTF. Even later novels like Lights Out seem to focus on that goal. So WSHTF, I'm thinking my best chances of survival would be to hook up with people who like the life we have in America and who are able and willing to work together to get it back on its feet again. We live like kings and queens compared to a large percentage of the rest of the world. I have a garden, but still need to get to a grocery store every week.

My "hard" list contains food, water, supplies, ammo and so forth. But I have a "soft" list too, and it starts with things like a shower every night, a hot meal and a warm bed, and moves up to "higher" things like friends I can depend on, someone to love and be loved by and the goal of contributing to the restoration of this country. Or as close to TWAWKI before disaster struck.

The goal of short-circuiting TEOTWAWKI would also be on my "soft" list, but to tell the truth, I have very few clear ideas of how to go about that. And if I did, I'm not sure I'd feel any less impotent than I do now in the face of so many things on so many levels going to hell in a hand basket. Or so it seems to me.

Interesting thread and very in informative too. Thanks everyone...

--Bill

+10 couldn't have said it better . these sites are inundated with military wanna bes or ex ones . kinda reminds me of people that were in prison too long .............. they dont function very well or know how to act on the "outside "

+10 couldn't have said it better . these sites are inundated with military wanna bes or ex ones . kinda reminds me of people that were in prison too long .............. they dont function very well or know how to act on the "outside "

and boy am I glad I do not know how to act here on the outside it sure has screwed up my life,

being responsible paying my bills providing for me and mine in case of loss of job or accident.

other wise called prepping..

and what makes you think that we ex military types do not make the world go round I have never worked

anywhere that ex military did not make up a large portion of the group.

as in firefighters police hospitals and I would get tired of mentioning fields but they will be and

are your only line of defense if TSHTF and the wanna bes I hope they see the good that our soldiers have done.

not everyone can go into the military but there are many who serve in many ways they have the heart

but some medical or heredity made them unable to participate and that does not stop them from trying.

and where do you think all this medical miracles come from medical treatment in the field or military doctors

attempting to remedy a problem ever heard of Dr. Michael De bakey many doctors have military titles

as do engineers and hundreds of other specialties.

the water you drink the roads you travel the power communications that you use most is overseen by

ex military

your view is odd if you do not like ex military or wanna bes the game cheat page is elsewhere,

if you are considering prepping the military learned all that I have seen in these threads and more

and they were learned at the cost of military and civilian lives.

most military equipment information and technology is used on the "outside" to defend and protect others. most inventions and improvements were made with or by the military in mind.

I realize that its not all good but painting all with the same brush is thoughtless and self degrading as

your speaking Ill of those who made the country you live in the greatest nation in the history of the world.

and because the American military made this a free country and you have these freedoms please feel free

to buy a ticket and leave no one is stopping you...but do not go to china they won't let you on to a site

like this then you won't be able to post.

If you look carefully the people making stupid decisions in our government most of them never served.

TR,

well for a lot of folks, shooting is a lot more fun than stacking cans. As I've said in many places, combat is not a major part of my plans. I have guns that I like to shoot (cowboy stuff mostly) but if TSHTF I will say again that anyone who uses his weapons for combat more than other things, doesn't make it. We simply don't have the skill or the logistics to mount major combat operations. Remember the combat troops only have to worry about getting shot - it is someone else who has to worry about getting them food, water and ammo.

The western settlers didn't have a large logistics tail either but then most of them had few or no Indian fights. A stubborn resistance for a few hours were usually enough to settle the issue. Being caught unawares favored the Indians but after the advent of the revolver and repeating rifle, the issue was settled. It only took time for everything to work out.

I am a strong proponent of the "3 gun battery" for survival/prepping. After that, it is more what do you want or enjoy shooting. A solid 3 gun battery should handle better than 99% of all situations. If you hit that one percent then you don't make it but that is true for everyone. (you run into 87 MZB from a Mad Max movie and if you don't have a full auto, belt fed, in a major caliber (Ma Duce anyone?) then you don't make it. If you prep for the 1% only then you'll be a loser when faced with the 99% (Hint: don't try to take a squirrel for supper with a .50BMG - it isn't pretty or effective)).

This is all taken out of context and both of you know it . The thread is about those yuppy preppers and unbalanced individuals that actually look forward to a SHTF situation . Survival sites are havens for those individuals that have seen way too many Rambo movies and played too many video games or think that everything is going to be constant combat and talk about nothing more . That is what I got from the post , the majority of people are into just prepping but those he is talking about are there as well . Like it or not , Those that have actually been in combat or in that environment for too long DO have a hard time readjusting to civil life , This is a big disservice to them by the government . They are trained to survive in that environment but not " deprogramed " so to speak when they are discharged . Dont lecture me on how pure as the driven snow the military is and they can do no wrong . I also have worked with many people who have served . Those people I speak of are regular folks , the ones I'm talking about in my post are the ones that are still there ( mentally ) . I have worked with several vietnam vets , there are basically two types . The first type is the one that got over it and moved on , you would never know they ever had a bad experience , then there is the other type , the guy that still wears BDU elements and is a nice enough guy but clearly he is still over there . As for the greatest country in the world ............... you looked around lately ? What made us great was minding our own business , doing things our way , making our own products , and having our money actually backed by something ......... where is that now huh ? My family fought in the revolution and for the Confederacy in the 2nd war of independence , WW2 , etc etc . So when you spout off about how freedoms were won etc , etc. ....... Lets just say if there IS another one , Im more than ready to dawn my grey kepi and whistle dixie . You will have a hard time convincing most people that all the crap we have been involved in militarily after WW2 has gained us anything except enemies . This is my country , but yet it isnt , my convictions are and always will be Confederate . Washington might as well be Moscow to me on how much I can relate to those people .

T.R.,

Seriously, thank you for sharing. Sometimes we do need to express ourselves. I believed that the posts didn't apply to this site, but there have been a few times where folks who are not posting anymore (their choice to leave) have tried to turn it into Mall Ninja Central. I try to be careful about assumptions; if I offended, my apologies.

My ancestors also fought in the War of the Northern Aggression. Of course, being Texans I'm not sure if they were fighting for the South or the return of the Republic of Texas. The south (outside of the BIG cities) tends to be much more self reliant than the northern megalopolises. The West (all of it East of the Central Valley of California at least) also tends to be more self reliant and country folks everywhere tend to be that way. I don't think I have ever met a farmer or rancher who owned and worked his land who was a liberal/progressive. Interesting thought that; I'll have to look into it.

Again, thanks for the post.

This was a very interesting read. I am one of those who found it difficult to adapt to being out, and I am a avid gamer (COD 4, Fallout new Vegas.) I guess I have it bad both ways. i can definitely understand what you mean Bart. There are alot of people who just don't get it when it comes to what its like to be in a "shituation". I have had my experiences where I didn't want to stick my head up, or leave the building. But I did, and i am better for it. And you are absolutely right about getting into fights. I have no intentions of getting into fights TEOTWAWKI, but I still plan for it. I don't intend to get mugged going to my car, but I am wary of it, and ready to "visit harm on those who would harm me." The disconnect i think is the reset feature in life. If you fail at something, try again, no harm done. It works in a classroom, or a video game, but not so in a life or death event like a car accident (dont wear your seatbelt, and you dont get a retry kinda thing.) With games, its magnified. A 1-1 kill death ratio is good in a game, very bad in real life. And someone said it earlier, put 60-70 pounds of gear on any of those "kids" playing COD or the like, and see if they could sprint fifty yards, leap over a car, shoot someone in the head with a sniper rifle (bolt type) and then sprint another fifty yards, and jump off a twenty foot ledge. Thats the quick way to the morgue. On that note, always remember rule number one, and keep it holy. Love this thread, very insightful.

I think that it is time for me to jump back into my thread. First off, thank you everybody for your insightful and informative opinions. Secondly, If by chance I have offended anybody with this topic that certainly was not my intention and I apologize. Like I had mentioned earlier I might have been having a bad day when I posted this so the thread might have started out a bit harsh and then it fomred into something else entirely. I am not a military guy in anyway or a "wanna be" anything, I play all the video games that have been talked about and watch a lot of shitty end of the wolrd "survival" type movies. These activities are all for fun and do not pertain to my prepping at all. If these activites get some people interested in serious prepping than I am all for it. The day that I posted this I ran into a guy i know and we started talking about prepping and survival stuff. We started talking about tactics in offensive and defensive modes for bug in and bug out situatuions. At some point I told him I didn't think he was very wise to do whatever it was he said he was going to do and his reply was " well than I would just 360 no scope you." this is a Call of Duty term where people jump off a structure with a sniper rifle, turn around 360 degrees and shoot the gun without looking through the scope...and somehow get a kill in the game. I took the comment more seriously than I probably should have and started ranting on this thread. i guess ultimately these people's comments don't/shouldn't matter to me because when something does happen they will certainly not be prepared and I will.

I wouldn't worry about it, as Bart likes to say, we all need to vent sometimes. And i personally think that the dialog that happened due to the rant was a good thing. Someone reading this may take a step back (like I did) and look in at themselves. the reality check was worth the reading. Personally, thanks for ranting and raving a bit, and getting the steam out. Now that you have ranted, you can get back to a rational frame of prepping. thanks again for the vent.

Tinderwolf,

I agree with Mike. Sometimes things are just so WRONG we have to say something and here it is safe to do so. Your friend is a little more than "not prepared". He could be dangerous because of his recklessness. If he survives a first encounter with someone who is prepared, he may learn but by then it may also be too late. Sigh :( . I guess my attitudes come from seeing people killed who died stupid because they refused to face the "real world". I try to tell folks it isn't "game over" when you get to your goal. The sun will rise tomorrow and you will continue (or not - called being dead) because this is life. Just make sure you are not too close to those who won't face reality as that is dangerous.

Tinderwolf,

I agree with Mike. Sometimes things are just so WRONG we have to say something and here it is safe to do so. Your friend is a little more than "not prepared". He could be dangerous because of his recklessness. If he survives a first encounter with someone who is prepared, he may learn but by then it may also be too late. Sigh :( . I guess my attitudes come from seeing people killed who died stupid because they refused to face the "real world". I try to tell folks it isn't "game over" when you get to your goal. The sun will rise tomorrow and you will continue (or not - called being dead) because this is life. Just make sure you are not too close to those who won't face reality as that is dangerous.

like always, very well put Capt.

Games give me motion sickness, but I love a good zombie/ survival movie. The reason I got into prepping is the very real possibilty that our way of life could collapse with just a few things happening, bad weather,E.M.P.,wall street, epidemic, Obama and is ilk trying to turn this country into a socialist state. Any combination of these things could set us back a hundred years.

I am prepared to last for close to a year,but the thought of friends and family or anyone starving and dying of lack of medical care is frightening.

This is the best forum for info exchange and education that I have found yet. I too believe in Jesus,but through time better Christians than me have suffered greatly.

So it pays to prepare, to study and train and stockpile and to help others and pray it is never needed.

you have come to the realization that some do not take what you perceive as serious

as improbable or uninteresting and think a off the cuff comment well settle the conversation.

the normalcy bias has a weird effect and takes on many reactions some almost violent

for some reason facts and figures or reality have no effect on a certain mind set of people.

that being said I am a Christian but other Christians don't always "get" what I am saying.

and turn the conversation and say well God will see me through or its in His hands

agnostics will just shrug and say there's noting I can do about it...

and atheist for being so dead set against the other two have the same mind set, very odd to me.

I have tried to explain to people that preparedness In our area is the responsible thing to do as not

to put pressure on friends and family or take resources from people who really need them like the

disabled and the elderly or people directly impacted like a tree through their house.

I believe everyone is responsible to be prepared to exist for at least 2 weeks without any external

help.

I believe this to be reasonable request so during and soon after an event no one is panicked or

causing undo stress on others.

I have found that people will actually hate you for being prepared and snotty I have heard comments

directed at me and you will too when an event happens they will say things like "he doesn't offer us

to share." I love that statement what the hell do they got to share "nothing".

"they think they are know it all" I have had people come up mad and say "We need some water!"

and I tell them the creek is a 1/4 mile that way and the last time I told them to set out containers

as it was raining at the time, some people are plain stupid..

one neighbor said next time were coming to your house, I had to inform them that that was not going

to happen, well why not! I told them that when a huge limb fell on my building they had chainsaws

cleaning their yard and did not bother to ask us if we needed help or anything so don't come asking

me anything.

they sat and watched me I guess waiting for me to come a begging when I got in the mood I got out

my saw a friend from the end of the road came down and asked if i needed any help I didn't but I invited him to hang out and we had a good conversation but he is like us prepared. we went and checked on

some others and guess what? they were fine because they were prepared.

If things happen your bud will descend on you in one of a couple of ways repentant or dramatic or

indignant and could even turn on you one of our neighbors kin stole their generator and gas cans

came up missing here and there break ins and a few heated arguments as black sheep came up

expecting accommodations and the family would not have them because they were pigs or thieves

or dope heads or all three....

"You never know who your friends are" that's a loaded two way statement. we had the luxury of

one our family members and gal friend stay with us and as they ate and left all the lights on and

ac full blast and ran up the phone bill blah blah I think you see the problem oh and they promised

to pays us back some money we gave them that was 12 years ago only hear from them when they

want something.

I have seen grownups knock down children and men shove women with children down running from

minor trouble or smoke or a fight and I have seen the opposite too.

so if you think I am going to set up a soup kitchen or organize a neighbor watch or try to be the leader

weather being asked or self imposed, you have eaten one to many Raman noodle dinners.

I have enough concertina razor and barbed wire to show I am not looking forward to company,

especially family.

War is only "glamorous and romantic" AFTER your home, because while you are there, it IS survival. I hope anyone thinking of going into the military realizes that and doesn't think it's like games.

Regulator5,

I have gone downrange and come home ten times, so far I have not found any part of it to be glamorous or romantic. God help me I wish I could find even a little of those somewhere because ever since all Ican see is the worst and spend my time in corners evaluating everyone in the room counting the seconds till I can leave in crowded places I do not trust freely anymore I will spend the rest of my life surviving God willing in relative comfort but if I have to by any means possible my family is the only thing that keeps me in normal society and sometimes I envy those who have lost it and do not remember I am not so lucky but I am functional if thats what you call glamorous or romantic all those who have been in the shit can tell you it stays with you forever no breaks when you sleep or are awake you just learn how to hide it and seem "normal" LOL aren't I a barrell of laughs sorry I had to respond right wrong or indifferent if its to much I am sorry but it is the cold truth and everyday thousands of kids join the club. I am not trying to bag on you just explain something something most can not and I do not think I am doing such a great job of it as witnessed by my edits but at least I am trying.

Edited by warrior7r
personal

wow i can really see where the OP is coming from on this too, but at the same time i can agree with a few others here too. i think it should be said or even reminded that zombie popping should be used as a last resort type of thing. there is so much more to survival than the fear/worry of zombies.

ya gotta remember, when your supplies totally run out and you havent eaten in days and water is

almost a memory,you have nowhere else to turn and your out of options, you too could very well end up a zombie yourself. the focus should be on how to survive so we dont end up zombies ourselves.

personally, thats my mind set. 90% how to survive so i dont end up a zombie myself, and 10% on how to deal with zombies i might come across. the 90% takes up a lot of my free time already at this point.

ok snake, you lost me on reply #5 when you mentioned the gravity thing. ive heard folks say something like that but i have no idea what they are talking about.

Warrior, I agree. My comment was based on those who think of glory in combat. The stories are romanticized afterwards, not during, the actual operational phase. I can't think of anything I'd care to relive during deployment, other than some of the friendships born there with my troops.

I have done my time. I've got the constant reminders of 50+ broken bones, shot once, stabbed/cut twice and burying a baby to keep me in a reality check. My "glory" is that I made it home to my family and only missed 4 birthdays, Christmas, Thanksgivings, etc with my kids and wife. Every time I put on the uniform I am reminded of what I sacrificed but every time I see my kids, I remember WHY I did it.

As Capt Bart wrote of in his psychology articles, people look and/or think of you in a different light if they know certain events that transpired.

Edited by Regulator5

warrior7 and Regulator5,

I left RVN for the last time 39 years ago. I still flinch for certain sounds and there are certain smells (does the sandbox have unique smells? - hell, for me, is jungle green and smells like rotted everything) that are the strongest reminder of all. I think what bothers me most is the nightmare that occurs too often to be funny - that my life for the last 39 years has been the dream, that I'm still in RVN, and I've got to go out and fly when I wake up. HATE THAT DREAM!

I read somewhere that every GI writes a check when he puts on the uniform with the amount of 'up to and including my life'. What I didn't realize at the time was that sometimes it was on the installment plan. What worries me is that members of my family may someday be forced to learn what we know. I've spent my life trying to keep that from happening and I fear I have failed. They may find out all too soon.

The hard part will be watching the unprepared fail and die; especially the kids. I have learned, the hard way, that many folks simply will not learn; not even from their own experiences. They won't learn, I can't teach them and yet I keep trying. PTSD, survivors guilt and shock can be fatal and if they aren't ready ..... Sorry if I'm a tad maudlin today; watching the idiots in Europe and the US try to tear down what is left of our civilization can be discouraging.

The good news is that we can learn to live with it. The bad news is that I don't think it ever completely goes away. If you haven't read them you might look at

http://survivalcache.com/survival-psychology-survivor-guilt/

and

http://survivalcache.com/survival-psychology-aftermath-self-defense-shooting/

The key is right now is for you to know that your service is truly appreciated by those who understand. I only pray that our loved ones never understand.

Edited by Capt Bart
spelling