Sign in to follow this  
LivingGray

Long term food storage

We buy bulk beans, rice, wheat, etc (50 lb bags) from an Amish grocery store. This morning, I picked up 100 lbs of wheat that we ordered last week - and also picked up 3 lbs of dry ice (frozen carbon dioxide at -120 degrees).

We have previously purchased a good supply of 5 gal buckets and lids from Home Depot, and a supply of Ziploc XL Storage Bags.

Two XL bage fit nicely into one 5 gal bucket. We placed a 1/4 pound of dry ice in the bottom of each XL bag, and then poured in the weat (for making flour if the situation occurs where we can not buy bread) (each bucket will hold around 30 lbs). As the dry ice subliminates, carbon dioxide (which is heavier than air) fills the bag, pushing out the oxygen and making the environment inside the bucket uninhabitable to insects. Then, with the XL Bag mostly closed, we let the bucket sit for 30 minutes or so - until the dry ice has fully suliminated (just hold the top of he bag shut for a few seconds will tell). Then we snaped on the lid, mark the bucket with the contents and date, and put it into our above ground root cellar.

This process also works for buckets of Ramen Noodles packets, bulk noodles, boxes of pasta - any dry-storage food.

Sounds like you have a good supply going and a good method for doing so. This is one area that I lack in. I don't really have the room or the money to really invest the way I would like to in this area. One cheap alternative for storing food that I have found is Ziploc's new vaccum seal bags. I have been making little kits with them and storing things like nuts and dried fruits.

Store your candy that way as well. Chocolate, lemon drops, in fact anything that changes state with O2 can benefit from this treatment. All your left over Halloween candy, treated this way, will last a over 1/2 a year without drying out, turning white and going chalky. It could go much longer.

Just a thought.

hello boys and girls and for those of you who are confused can't help ya'

I believe I have shared this on another post about going to all the swimming pool maintenance places

and asking about their buckets all different sizes and all the powdered bleach I collect and keep in 1 bucket

screw top lids with a lock seals really well and are cheap to free..

recently I bought a break bleeder with a gauge think I got it from northern tool or one of those tool places

on the net also both sizes of ball canning jar adapters from bass pro shops to attach to a power sealer and

can vacuum seal.

sealing by hand ball, mason and other similar jars not good for keeping food that NEEDS to be pressure

canned, do not do this with mayonnaise type jars they are too thin.

but great to keep items like matches noodles and marshmallows and jerky, candy from air that causes

transfer of flavors or rancidity to take place and some chemicals that absorb moisture from the air.

Mylar bags from beprepared.com 6 gallon size fit perfect in a bucket and with a euro sealer can make

custom sizes.

Mylar is the best as it lasts many years and is an oxygen barrier and due to its semi mirror finish helps to

prevent sun bleaching etc...

leave the normal plastic bags for excrement collection and disposal.

IMHO I have been prepping for ever some items i have stored in non screw top buckets have not stored

very well the plastic bags deteriorate and leave off flavors and smells in the grain or whatever.

this is a real bummer so learn from my mistakes..

A trick for sealing Mylar is use small para cord evacuate all the air twist it tight and tie with clove hitch

bend over twist again and tie off place in bucket and seal the bucket helps prevent accidental punctures.

and nothing is animal proof but metal trash cans or drums keep out rats this is a consideration if bucket are to be kept at a remote BO site where you cannot check them.

buckets across the floor of your closet and a piece of plywood on top makes a great shelf for shoes and

things you do not want to store on the floor.

a cheap good start for your preparations:

5 gallons of each flour salt sugar oats baking soda baking powder and muti purpose soap.

from the above mentioned site #10 cans of powdered milk cocoa eggs butter peanut butter

and lard YES you can find these items powdered last 25 years in the can.

you may be eating biscuits and gravy and powdered eggs but at least you will be eating

and these are the key components for bunches of recipes...

add those items spoken of on other threads you'll be living high on the hog.

Living Grey - Is it possible you can make a video? Im sure everyone would appreciate it.

Juzcallmesnake - You always have some good shit to say. I would like to see a quick video for the paracord method, Im not an idiot I can figure it out, but I enjoy the idiots how to guides. Ive seen the videos for the melding mylar bags.

Currently do not have the equipment for making Video's. Will have to look into it. Thanks for the suggestion.

good planning ,most seeds can be stored for years without losing the nutrients they contain. the ones you chose were good ones ,thou you should've told the newb's that white or polished rice,has the least nutrients.those that you have are my first bugin foods also.for bugout,i prefer chia seeds,food tabs,chicken & beef broth cubes.you can carry a little over 5# for a month supply.both seeds & food tabs will last over 10 years.as long they're keep dry.there is several sites on both.i don't know of anything with better nutrients than chia.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Recent Topics

• HELLO! WELCOME TO THE GREAT TEMPLE OF ILLUMINATI WORLD RICHES. Are you a business Man, politician, musical, student and you want to be rich, powerful and be famous in life. You can achieve your dreams by being a member of the Illuminati brotherhood, and receive a monthly salary of $500,000 USD. We are ready to change your life, we can make your Dreams come true, also we are going to give you everything that you need in this Life .... *Riches  *Power *Famous *Wealth  With this all your dreams and heart desire can be fully accomplish,So have you make up your mind that you want to join the great Illuminati brotherhood to become rich and famous in life population and also you will be protected from all evils against you and your family.
      If you're really ready to be a member of the great Illuminati Brotherhood then contact us via WhatsApp:  +1 315 203 9948 or our official Email: {officialilluminati999@gmail.com} Visits our Websites for more info: https://illuminatiofficial666world.wordpress.com

• HELLO! WELCOME TO THE GREAT TEMPLE OF ILLUMINATI WORLD RICHES. Are you a business Man, politician, musical, student and you want to be rich, powerful and be famous in life. You can achieve your dreams by being a member of the Illuminati brotherhood, and receive a monthly salary of $500,000 USD. We are ready to change your life, we can make your Dreams come true, also we are going to give you everything that you need in this Life .... *Riches  *Power *Famous *Wealth  With this all your dreams and heart desire can be fully accomplish,So have you make up your mind that you want to join the great Illuminati brotherhood to become rich and famous in life population and also you will be protected from all evils against you and your family.
      If you're really ready to be a member of the great Illuminati Brotherhood then contact us via WhatsApp:  +1 315 203 9948 or our official Email: {officialilluminati999@gmail.com} Visits our Websites for more info: https://illuminatiofficial666world.wordpress.com

• INSTEAD OF GETTING A LOAN,,  I GOT SOMETHING NEW
      Get $5,500 USD every day, for six months! See how it works
      Do you know you can hack into any ATM machine with a hacked ATM card??
      Make up you mind before applying, straight deal... Order for a blank ATM card now and get millions within a week!: contact us
      via email address::{Universalcardshackers@gmail.com}

We have specially programmed ATM cards that  can be use to hack ATM
      machines, the ATM cards can be used to withdraw at the ATM or swipe, at
      stores and POS. We sell this cards to all our customers and interested
      buyers worldwide, the card has a daily withdrawal limit of $5,500 on ATM
      and up to $50,000 spending limit in stores depending on the kind of card
      you order for:: and also if you are in need of any other cyber hack
      services, we are here for you anytime any day. Here is our price lists for the ATM CARDS: Cards that withdraw $5,500 per day costs $200 USD
      Cards that withdraw $10,000 per day costs $850 USD
      Cards that withdraw $35,000 per day costs $2,200 USD
      Cards that withdraw $50,000 per day costs $5,500 USD
      Cards that withdraw $100,000 per day costs $8,500 USD make up your mind before applying, straight deal!!! The price include shipping fees and charges, order now: contact us via
      email address:: {Universalcardshackers@gmail.com} Visit our Website for more Info: https://automatictellers.webs.com
      ®
      Make up you mind before applying, straight deal... Order for a blank ATM card now and get millions within a week!: contact us

services, we are here for you anytime any day. Here is our price lists for the ATM CARDS: Cards that withdraw $5,500 per day costs $200 USD
      Cards that withdraw $100,000 per day costs $8,500 USD make up your mind before applying, straight deal!!! The price include shipping fees and charges, order now: contact us via
      email address:: {Universalcardshackers@gmail.com} Visit our Website for more Info: https://automatictellers.webs.com
      ®

®