Sign in to follow this  
Josh_Survivalcache

Four Tools for Survival

Okay, here is a fun "what if?" scenario inspired by a post on another forum:

Let's pretend that you were in a situation in which you had to grab four tools, and exactly four. You need to take exactly one item for each of the following four categories. They have to be things you can reasonably carry, and you can take with you things you'd need to carry them with (sheaths, slings, etc).

For the purposes of this exercise, assume that you're going to have to survive for maybe a week in an area you'd typically bug out to. You're going to be by yourself, so you can't rely on others to bring more tools. Everything you name has to be something you actually have. Your other needs (containers, cordage, etc) have been accounted for to some degree. All you need to select is four tools.

They must be:

* a folding pocket knife

* a multi-tool

* a fixed blade knife

* a muscle powered method to process wood

Assume that you have a little flexibility. So you could use a SAK instead of a pliers based multi-tool if you want, or you could use it to fill the folding pocket knife slot. Your wood processing tool can be a knife, ax, saw, etc.

So what do you take with you?

Tough question, Josh. ONLY four is a pretty severe limit. OK, here goes:

1. A Swiss Army Knife - the can opener may be the single most useful item but all blades are good

2. My Leatherman - I've tried various brands and find the Leatherman to be the most solid out there.

3. My Ka-Bar - would have been my Army survival knife but the new Ka-Bar is impressive.

4. This is really tough and would depend on were I was surviving:

a. in a heavily wooded area; a really solid hatchet, most likely with a synthetic handle. Good for larger wood, driving stakes, building stockades and such.

b. in a less wooded area; a machete for clearing brush, tall grasses, reptile defense and such.

Either blade in 4 would do the trick and if possible I'd have both - while there is quite a bit of overlap there are plenty of areas of use where one is clearly superior to the other.

Good Response. I guess that I will post mine. This scenario, at least in my mind, would be items in the BOB, not necessarily in my pockets.

1) In the roll of TFK (Tactical Folding Knife) I have a CRKT M16-14ZSF

attachment.php?attachmentid=40&d=1314299497&thumb=1

2) Gerber MP600 Basic Multi-Pliers

post-4-13851497613187_thumb.jpg

3) Gerber Profile

post-4-13851497613473_thumb.jpg

4) Kershaw Outcast or Sabercut Saw

post-4-13851497613833_thumb.jpg

This is very minimalist, and it is a tough scenario. In my BOB I have a larger assortment of tools, But this really gets you thinking about what you really need.

Edited by Josh_Survivalcache
Added Pics

All this gear I have on my person or in my GHB in my truck. Because I live in Chicagoland, I plan for a "stranded in the snow" type emergency, and I keep in mind that I might need to hump out of a jammed highway home.

1) EDC Folder is a Emerson Mini CQC-7 or a Sypderco Sage II Titanium. Either would do, they're both solid knives.

2) Multi-tool is a Gerber Multi-Plier 600 Needlenose, Black (07550G). Love this multi-tool, have the EOD version as well.

3) USMC Ka-Bar in the truck. This is not ideal, I'd like to upgrade to a Becker.

4) Fiskars X5 Hatchet in the Truck. 8 Inch hatchet, tested OK. Not brilliant quality, but I'm not looking to get into logging.

I keep a big can of WD-40 in my truck too, this would help processing wood and keeping tools sharp. I think I'm in good shape but could always do better. I just don't have a lot of room for a large chopping tool in my truck. Maybe a collapsible saw?

This wont be hard. I already have my BOB narrowed down to 4.

1) Folding knife: I dont carry one. I'm not a big fan of folders. I lopped off a pinkie (sewed back on) due to lockback failing (Gerber Gator) and pretty much only use non folders. I do occasionally carry a ken Onion Chive for a "gentleman's knife". If I need a folder, I rely on my multi-tool.

2) Gerber Multi-Plier 600 Needlenose Black. Like the above poster, I love my Gerber 600. I ave the military version with the molle pouch.

3) I'm not into super high $$$ knives, so I would pr0bably carry my Browning (dont know the model #). It will have to make due until I can get my hands on a Gerber LMF or the Bear Grills Survival knife. I'm not usually one for gimmicky, TV junk, but this knife seems to be decent upon first impression.

4) Now for the real tool of the bunch! My Khukri (Gurka knife) It has an 11.5 inch blade (measured along spine) that is 1/2 inch think along spine! And weighs a handy 24 ounces. For anyone that has never used one of these, I HIGHLY recommend giving one a try! And buy all means get hold of a real one from Nepal. They are cheaper and fit and balance is much better than the American and Chinease knockoffs. This tool is the main reason that my fixed blade knife is vague and cheap. This knife does it all (except fold). You would think that it is too big for delicate work, but is not. It's a hatchet, machete, and paring knife all in one.

Edited by Ready?4What?

This wont be hard. I already have my BOB narrowed down to 4.

1) Folding knife: I dont carry one. I'm not a big fan of folders. I lopped off a pinkie (sewed back on) due to lockback failing (SOG Gator) and pretty much only use non folders. I do occasionally carry a ken Onion Chive for a "gentleman's knife". If I need a folder, I rely on my multi-tool.

2) Gerber Multi-Plier 600 Needlenose Black. Like the above poster, I love my Gerber 600. I ave the military version with the molle pouch.

This has been my go-to multi tool for years.

3) I'm not into super high $$$ knives, so I would pr0bably carry my Browning (dont know the model #). It will have to make due until I can get my hands on a Gerber LMF or the Bear Grills Survival knife. I'm not usually one for gimmicky, TV junk, but this knife seems to be decent upon first impression.

Good call on either of the two Gerbers, We like them http://survivalcache.com/bear-grylls-ultimate-knife-review-gerber/

4) Now for the real tool of the bunch! My Khukri (Gurka knife) It has an 11.5 inch blade (measured along spine) that is 1/2 inch think along spine! And weighs a handy 24 ounces. For anyone that has never used one of these, I HIGHLY recommend giving one a try! And buy all means get hold of a real one from Nepal. They are cheaper and fit and balance is much better than the American and Chinease knockoffs. This tool is the main reason that my fixed blade knife is vague and cheap. This knife does it all (except fold). You would think that it is too big for delicate work, but is not. It's a hatchet, machete, and paring knife all in one.

I absolutely love the kukri. You have good taste.

This is what i would go with all multi use items.

1. 18" ontario machete for firewood, and shelter building.

2. esee Izula for smaller work and skin'n.

3. s.o.g. multi tool.

4. I would trade the folding knife in for a E-tool dont need three blades.

Blackhawk,

I'm interested in the saw. I've seen reviews on several (mostly big box store offerings) that aren't worth the weight and space they take up. The Sabercut is available here in Houston at REI but it is quite a drive to get there; I'd appreciate your comments on the reliability and use of the Sabercut.

I have a Sabercut, and while I haven't used it extensively, I have used it a few times. A long as you have the muscular strength, it will keep cutting. The only problem I have ever had with it is that, as you cut, it tends to cut from a 'c' shape into a more of a 'U' shape with the opening pointing towards you. For branches or anything under 1.5 feet in diameter, this thing will work great.

But remember,I haven't put mine through too much of a field test yet.

Blackhawk,

I'm interested in the saw. I've seen reviews on several (mostly big box store offerings) that aren't worth the weight and space they take up. The Sabercut is available here in Houston at REI but it is quite a drive to get there; I'd appreciate your comments on the reliability and use of the Sabercut.

We actually did a review a little while back, located here. It is great that it is available locally for you, but for anyone that needs to order it, we sell it at Forge, here.

ok lets see in your order:

~pocket knife[i dont have one so i cant say which one i would choose, my husband has a plethora of them so he would know more about which would be best. seeing as hes had a range of cheap dinky blades to some high quality cutlery, but i think he favors SOGs.]

~leathermen[my husband has one and loves it i believe its the curve one, a gift from my mother, uses it daily for the pass two years. still hasnt worn out.]

~SE 11 1/4" hunting knife w/ firestarter.{im unaware of the brand but it seems a no brainer to have some sort of fire starting capability in a survival situation]

~the sabercut saw thingy[as fore mentioned by BlackHawk]

If I were limited to four tools for survival I would take a knife of some sort, with at least a 3 inch blade. Since I am so limited on tools I will take a Leatherman - either a Charge or Wave, because it also has a saw and a second knife blade, plus other uses.

Second I would take a tool to make fire easily, a Bic lighter will be sufficient, but a wind proof lighter would be fine also.

Next I would take a folding saw with at least a ten inch blade. this is more efficient than a small hatchet for gathering fuel, building shelter & processing large game.

A water container with internal filter, with metal cup if that is not considered a separate item. If this is not considered a tool? than I would take a firearm, a long gun if one was in reach but a hand gun is always loaded and on my person.

1. I'm not too picky about folders. Give me a frame lock folder with a stout blade made out of decent steel that locks up tight and I'm happy. I'd probably grab my Spyderco Tenacious.

2. I've gone through several multi-tools over the years but my favorite is still the Leatherman that I've had since high school. I think it's a PST or a Core but I'm not really sure.

3. I just picked up a Fallkniven F1 over the weekend. My only reservation about that knife so far is that it's got a convex edge. I need to learn how to sharpen it. It's probably the most well balanced, sturdy fixed blade that I've ever handled that doesn't cost in excess of $200-$300.

4. For wood processing I'd take a hatchet. I've tried everything from wire saws to machetes to batoning wood with a fixed blade. Hatchets just get the job done faster and easier than everything short of a chainsaw or axe.

OK, let's see....

1. Swiss Army knife

2. Gerber, I think mine is an 800-something, but they're all pretty good.

3. Randall Model 14 (What can I say, I've been carrying it for 40 years.)

4. Folding saw or something like the pocket chain saw or the sabercut others have mentioned.

For a folder, I would want a signifigantly different blade shape than the fixed id be carring. Something really thin and narrow probably. a combo edge would be ideal but I dont own one. That leaves me only with my Buck 110 folder.

For a fixed blade Id grab one of my moras. Probably my 511 or high Q. I wouldnt choose one of my thicker heavier full tang bushcraft knives like my Condors or BK2 cause I wouldnt need it for wood prep or heavy duty.

Multi Tool would be my Leatherman. I forget the model. Its older but one of the fully loaded models.

Wood prep? Knowing its going to be a week or so til rescue Id grab my Gerber Gator combo axe. It has a saw stowed in the handle. That cheating? Too bad;)

For a folder, I would want a signifigantly different blade shape than the fixed id be carring. Something really thin and narrow probably. a combo edge would be ideal but I dont own one. That leaves me only with my Buck 110 folder.

For a fixed blade Id grab one of my moras. Probably my 511 or high Q. I wouldnt choose one of my thicker heavier full tang bushcraft knives like my Condors or BK2 cause I wouldnt need it for wood prep or heavy duty.

Multi Tool would be my Leatherman. I forget the model. Its older but one of the fully loaded models.

Wood prep? Knowing its going to be a week or so til rescue Id grab my Gerber Gator combo axe. It has a saw stowed in the handle. That cheating? Too bad;)

Nice choices.

Well I've been keeping up with this thread since the beginning and have finally decided to add mine.

First would have to be my Victorinox Swiss Army Spartan:

http://www.swissknifeshop.com/shop/swiss-army/victorinox/swiss-army-knives/everyday/swiss-army-spartan

Great piece of equipment that is worth it's price just for the can opener alone.

Second is my Spyderco Manix2:

http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=418

Another great knife

My multi-tool of choice is certainly cheaper than most of what you guys are using but it gets the job done for me, and that is the Gerber Suspension:

http://www.gerbergear.com/Essentials/Tools/Suspension-Multi-plier_22-41471

Last but not least I like the Gator Machete Jr:

http://www.gerbergear.com/Apocalypse/Gear/Gator-Machete-Jr_31-000759

There has been some concern about this piece by others over time because it doesn't have a full tang, but I can attest to this little guys toughness. The saw blade on the back side is great as long as you aren't trying to cut down an entire tree with it.

my first pick would be a good hatch,with it i could skin a animal,chop a tree,make a canoe,it'a a multi-tool in it's own right.

then k-ar or buck

3.multi-tool.

4.gerber machete with saw back,banonet that can be easily made into a spear.