Sign in to follow this  
doghair

Gun Cleaning without Gun Cleaning Supplies

Personally I have enough cleaning supplies on hand to clean everything I have several times but let's say for the sake of discussion you bugged out and the guns are filthy. You have no rods, solvent or any other cleaning supplies and can't get to any.

Patches would be easy, oil/grease would be somewhat easy but what else would you use?

Back years ago when I'd attend turkey shoots. I watched the older gentlemen take out a 12 or 16 penny nail, wrapped around it was a short piece of #18 nylon masonary twine with a piece of rag tied on one end and the nail on the other. They'd drop the nail through the barrel of the shotgun and draw the rag/cloth through it.

At best all it would do is clean the barrel. I think we now know these as a barrel snake. lol If I'd just thought or had the insight that'd catch on like it did...sheesh!

Field cleaning them as best you can. You'd also be suprised just how much oil will accumilate on and around your nose, cheeks and forehead...Not enough for pouring but enough for wipeing..

If my life, or those around me lives are going to depend on it, I promise you, I won't be without a cleaning kit.

I've got a couple of the Otis tactical cleaning kits, small, compact and will clean

everything from a .17 cal. to a .50 cal.

Good question though.

http://www.amazon.com/Otis-Tactical-Cleaning-System-Brushes/dp/B0000C52A5/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1342031605&sr=8-1&keywords=otis+tactical+cleaning+kit

Edited by desert rat

Yeah, I'm with you on the bore snake, whoda thunk it huh? Probably the son of the hula hoop creator.

I am totally onboard with always having a cleaning kit but was wondering what people would do when not having anything. My Dad trained (doomed) me to cleaning a gun if I only fire one round. He would say "A clean gun is a happy gun and you never want a pissed off gun".

Would abrasive toothpaste help get lead out of the rifling without damage? I guess if you wrapped up some cloth tight enough it would work. It would also be minty fresh. I use bore paste but haven't tried it on my teeth so why not toothpaste on the barrel?

Was also wondering if there was some household cleaner that might take the place of Hoppes (or whatever) to dissolve some of the powder and lead but not trash the barrel or receivers.

What would MacGyver do?

Edited by doghair

Would abrasive toothpaste help get lead out of the rifling without damage? I guess if you wrapped up some cloth tight enough it would work. It would also be minty fresh. I use bore paste but haven't tried it on my teeth so why not toothpaste on the barrel?

Hahahehe, it's liable to remove your tongue and tonsils also.:D

Try a can of Brakleen. Yup Brakleen, dissolves the powder deposits lead and brass and copper. I used it for years. Better than paying top dollar for gun solvent at a couple of dollars per can. Your going to oil it down anyway. I use it specifically on the bolts, bolt carrier and bores. I'll spray every thing down with it, but I do have a air compressor and blow everything out also and run the boresnake through the barrel. Ooops bout forgot, just make sure to get the non-chlorine in the CRC.

The CLP break free cost twice as much. I believe the Ballistol would be if you bought as much as you get in one can of Brakleen. I think 4ozs. of Ballistol is 7.99. A can of CRC Brakleen is about $5.00 I won't even mention Froglube.

Some say carb cleaner works as well but I personally haven't tried carb cleaner. I can vouche for the Brakleen though.

Edited by desert rat

I’d use Windex or some other similar product. I use it on my firearms that fire 7.62X25, 39 and 54R. Works like a champ! I would make a few patches out of any cloth I had and pull it through the barrel using a lace from my boots. So my boots smell badly; so what? They smelled poorly within one minute of my foot coming to rest inside the boot.

now you know why chrome lined bores are so important

Lead? what kind of cheap ammo are we shooting I use lead bullets if you under size them and roll them in

cigarette rolling paper you do not have to worry about leading or use gas checks.

the afore mentioned is called a paper patched bullet it needs to be patched up to where it does not touch the rifling should you have no bullet lube. and you can launch them at magnum velocities.

every rifle I have has a boresnake in the butt and a small bottle of breakfree and a wire brush.

on my pistol belts I have a large pocket knife sheath that contains the same thing

A clean weapon is a happy weapon and my Bianchi holster has a cleaning rod in it.

If you shoot a lot and need a good copper fouling cleaner here is the best KG-12 bore cleaner.

as far as oil any synthetic motor oil will do just put it in a bottle that will hold it

If I did not have a cleaning kit I would not have a weapon it's that important

but the bore snake and a bottle of KG-12 and some synthetic oil is all you need and you should have a

firearms brush, multitool that will take care of any other needs.

I wish some cologne company would come out with hoppes #9 I think it would be a best seller IMO

as far as a weapons cleaner It is ok but KG-12 is still the best copper fouling remover.

I will second using Windex, especially for corrosive ammo. Works like a charm. Warning on Brakleen and other spray "cleaners, most will indeed eat the bluing or other coating off of your firearms, even if it is warranted to not Ben"affected" by such things. Don't ask ME,'how I know this. I would especially avoid the ubiquitous spray gun cleaner sold a lot of places, it's CRAP and can eat coatings, bluing and some polymers in handguns. I can list names of retired officers who have experienced some of the vagaries of supposedly easy spray cleaners. I often use old cotton t-shirts for extra patches, and THE best gun cloths I've ever used by far, lint free too, are tri-fold cloth diapers. Yes indeed diapers. They hold up well, wash well and do not scratch high end finishes.

Edited by Malcolm
fat fingers on tablet keyboard

Yeah, I'm with you on the bore snake, whoda thunk it huh? Probably the son of the hula hoop creator.

I am totally onboard with always having a cleaning kit but was wondering what people would do when not having anything. My Dad trained (doomed) me to cleaning a gun if I only fire one round. He would say "A clean gun is a happy gun and you never want a pissed off gun".

Was also wondering if there was some household cleaner that might take the place of Hoppes (or whatever) to dissolve some of the powder and lead but not trash the barrel or receivers.

What would MacGyver do?

NOTHING will ever "take the place of Hoppes"! Blasphemy!:P

OK, I rather enjoy cleaning my guns and the smell of Hoppes. I've heard it called the 'male aphrodisiac'; could be. That as a given, think about the 1860's and following. What did they have to clean the early rifles and such? I've read stories of the 'GI' in the Napoleonic wars using their own urine as a cleaning fluid. Several of the military rifles have built in cleaning kits. The AK-47, the M1 Carbine, for a couple of examples. I still have the old kit they issued for the M-14 from back in the day. All these are .30 caliber cleaning kits but there may be others. I've used boiling water with light lube as well. Windex with Vinegar works well but I wouldn't use Windex with Ammonia, bad things can happen in the barrels.

The westerners cleaned their weapons without the modern stuff and so can we; it is just a matter of seeing what they did. A brush and rod for the proper caliber isn't that tough to have; I tend to think that if I don't have at least that, I won't have any of the alternates either. Boiling water is always available and an appropriately size piece of cordage should be part of the BOB.

Finally, the 'clean' after every single shooting is simply not necessary. It is prudent and an excellent habit but I know of weapons that were not cleaned for weeks to months after firing with no ill effects. The AR platform has tighter tolerances than most rifles. It makes a tight shooting rifle but it also demands more cleaning. An AK-47 is looser (some would say to the point of sloppy) but there are some of them that are out there shooting that have never been cleaned. The cleaning schedule is a function of platform, caliber and mission.

Just my not so humble opinion, of course, but I intend to carry my brushes, solvent and oil. Alternate oils exist but proper oiling does not take much oil. Most folks over oil anyway. I use a lot of hot water mixed with 'Windex with Vinegar' (or just dish washing liquid and Vinegar from the kitchen) and it works well. That is especially good on Black Powder.

Snake,

I wish some cologne company would come out with hoppes #9 I think it would be a best seller IMO

as far as a weapons cleaner It is ok but KG-12 is still the best copper fouling remover.

I disagree about the cologne - now if some genus would come up with a PERFUME that smelled like Hoppes the lady wearing it would have every guy in the place following in her wake!:D

You are correct about the copper fouling; if you shoot a lot the copper fouling is self limiting but I don't like leaving it in the barrel. That brush is important!

In the spirit of the challenge posted above, no brushes, no rods and no solvent. I would have to make a bore snake, I would try 6 to 8 feet of 550 cord, half way down the length I would put an inch wide piece of whipping. Below that I would fray the line, above the whipping i may have to pull the core out so it will fit in a 5.56 barrel. Then windex as a solvent might work and a cotten tee shirt for patches and a wiping cloth. For a bigger bore I would use inch and a half DBN or simular line. I think that would work for the basics, if I could find some fine brass wire, woven into the frayed end would help clear any fouling. But nothing I come up with will replace a good cleaning kit. But its just an idea.

I have used brake or carb cleaner in the field before do a rough clean of the barrel, gas port and such.

One of the things we'd also do was to use aircraft grease (a very thin light coat) on the gas piston. When it came time to clean it you could just wipe off most of the gunk, regrease and be good to go.

In the spirit of the challenge posted above, no brushes, no rods and no solvent. I would have to make a bore snake, I would try 6 to 8 feet of 550 cord, half way down the length I would put an inch wide piece of whipping. Below that I would fray the line, above the whipping i may have to pull the core out so it will fit in a 5.56 barrel. Then windex as a solvent might work and a cotten tee shirt for patches and a wiping cloth. For a bigger bore I would use inch and a half DBN or simular line. I think that would work for the basics, if I could find some fine brass wire, woven into the frayed end would help clear any fouling. But nothing I come up with will replace a good cleaning kit. But its just an idea.
A shoe lace and a patch of cloth with motor oil, has been the AK's bore snake since 60's.