Sign in to follow this  
Crazy Rebel

Emergency Broadcast System

Ya know it was usually once a month at the discretion of the station manager, when to issue a test of "their" broadcast system and it was mostly just radio that did it. . WHY all of a sudden in the histroy of radio, tv, satellite, when there was a red curtain to worry about, is FEMA and the FCC together, "syncing" all the radio stations and tv stations, nationally to issue one test simultaneously on 11-9-11, at 1pm?

i guess its just me, thats interested in the "why" part. its like something straight out of "1984"

usually when a "tornado/hurricane" type warning is issued, its just for certain locations and the majority of the west, and north never hear about it, nor care, "oh here's a severe weather warning for severe wind gusts from tropical storm whatchamacallit." Now all of a sudden, "They" want the ability to issue "what warning" across "all 50 states", at the exact "same time". What event could happen, that obviously "they" know about, that they feel the need to inform us and put everyone into a panic all at the same time?!?

Am i totally off my rocker and over thinking it?!?

Edited by Josh_Survivalcache
wierd, can't edit the Title. oh well boardcast it is..

As I have said elsewhere, I collect conspiracy theories. If I thought, for instance, that the US had porous boarders and that terrorist; say from the Vatican (about the only folks I can insult and still be PC), had tactical nukes or MPADS (Man Portable Air Defense System) from some country (say Monaco - we must be PC above all) then I would suspect that some group was maybe planning to set off an atomic device in say eight or ten cities, at intervals of say 4 hours until the US enforced their demands. Now THAT would shut down everything. Furthermore, the Constitution and Bill of Rights would be put on the shelf, perhaps forever, while people sought safety.

If I were really a conspiracy nut I would wonder if perhaps those in power wouldn't welcome such an event to cancel elections and maintain their hold on power. If that were the case, I think they would have miscalculated; a fact they would learn while the survivors fashioned ropes into hangman's knots.

I think somethings up its all to much everything seems to be telling us to be prepared but in a non

threatening PC way makes my hair stand up and NO i don't think your crazy but I kind of understand if fear grips everyone people will not go to work take trips in other words keep the economy going and seeing no one

can know the timing or if or what kind of thing it is I take the general approach I try to prepare for as much as I can. i have a list that I emailed my friends let me know if and on what area you think it would best fit into capt bart

its actually just a test, there wont be any warning BUT i totally agree, first step to propaganda broadcasting in my opinion. here is the official text received by AZ state employees. Also Nuclear Power plants will be sounding off their alarms during this test. Its going to affect any and all warning devices besides TV and Radio

For Immediate Release Public Information Contact:

Oct. 12, 2011 Greg Roybal, (602) 464-6258

Nationwide Emergency Alert System Test Scheduled for Wednesday, Nov. 9

PHOENIX—A nationwide test of the Emergency Alert System (EAS) is scheduled for Wednesday, Nov. 9, at noon MST. The test will be broadcast over radio and television stations statewide and last approximately three minutes. The EAS has never before been tested simultaneously nationwide.

“We’re testing the EAS on November 9 to ensure the system works as expected,” said Arizona Division of Emergency Management Director Lou Trammell. “The test is just that—a test. There will be no need for alarm, but we want people to know about the November test because it may last longer than the monthly tests.”

In an effort to raise public awareness, the Arizona Emergency Information Network (AzEIN) created a resource page (http://bit.ly/qlRkqQ) and a countdown widget for local media and partner emergency response agencies to link to and embed on their websites (see below.)

The EAS is used by local, state, federal and tribal governments to communicate potentially life-saving information during an emergency. Most Arizonans are familiar with the distinctive tone and the scrolling message unique to the EAS. The National Weather Service (NWS) regularly uses EAS to alert communities about severe weather and anticipated flood conditions.

In the aftermath of a national catastrophic event, authorities will transmit crucial information to the public through as many methods as possible. The national EAS program provides the nation with an unparalleled communications network, available even under the direst conditions.

The nationwide EAS Test is being jointly conducted by the Department of Homeland Security, the Federal Emergency Management Agency, the Federal Communications Commission, and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration’s NWS.

Visit the Arizona Emergency Information Network (AzEIN) website at www.azein.gov for real-time emergency updates, preparedness and hazard information, and multimedia resources.

Edited by Sonoran6

its actually just a test, there wont be any warning BUT i totally agree, first step to propaganda broadcasting in my opinion. here is the official text received by AZ state employees. Also Nuclear Power plants will be sounding off their alarms during this test. Its going to affect any and all warning devices besides TV and Radio

PHOENIX—A nationwide test of the Emergency Alert System (EAS) is scheduled for Wednesday, Nov. 9, at noon MST. The test will be broadcast over radio and television stations statewide and last approximately three minutes. The EAS has never before been tested simultaneously nationwide.

I guess I'm curious about the announcement as much as anything. I really won't know or particularly care whether or not the warning goes off in New Haven or Indianapolis or Fairbanks. I'll know it went off in Houston of course but the total announcement thing has me wondering. Other than letting us all know that the government is on the job and protecting us from those right wing militias I just don't see a lot of pluses to the announcement. :confused:

Anything other then we are being invaded or under NBC attack would be unreasonable for a system like this. The emergency alerts didn't go off during 9/11 because traditionally the government doesn't want to start a panic.

Anything other then we are being invaded or under NBC attack would be unreasonable for a system like this. The emergency alerts didn't go off during 9/11 because traditionally the government doesn't want to start a panic.

Thats true they didn't, but im sure that people wouldve liked to know before a plane crashed into their city as well. I think its pretty sketchy that all of a sudden, they are deciding to launch a nation wide broadcast, for the first time(as far as i know). Theres just something about firsts that scare me..especially on such a large scale.

“We’re testing the EAS on November 9 to ensure the system works as expected,” said Arizona Division of Emergency Management Director Lou Trammell. “The test is just that—a test. There will be no need for alarm, but we want people to know about the November test because it may last longer than the monthly tests.”

OK, so it's a test. Please read

http://www.wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=364173

and then think about it. As the Patricia Lewis (the author) points out so well, if it was just a test, then why not do it at say 0430 where no one is bothered. This isn't a test - THIS is a demonstration. Her reasons are sound and the conclusion is, at best, ominous. I collect conspiracy theories and this FITS.

As a broadcast engineer I can divulge some answers. We have to issue a weekly EAS test and pass through a monthly test from an LP (local primary). We have always done this since EAS was morphed from EBS. The test last fall was to originate a message from the White House just to see if it actually worked. It was a massive failure as most government plans. All radio, tv, and cable were supposed to receive the same message. Didn't happen. Long story. EAS is a totally obsolete form of disseminating official information. It is just a revenue generator (fines) when a station misses a test or if equipment fails.

Rick

Ya know it was usually once a month at the discretion of the station manager, when to issue a test of "their" broadcast system and it was mostly just radio that did it. . WHY all of a sudden in the histroy of radio, tv, satellite, when there was a red curtain to worry about, is FEMA and the FCC together, "syncing" all the radio stations and tv stations, nationally to issue one test simultaneously on 11-9-11, at 1pm?

i guess its just me, thats interested in the "why" part. its like something straight out of "1984"

usually when a "tornado/hurricane" type warning is issued, its just for certain locations and the majority of the west, and north never hear about it, nor care, "oh here's a severe weather warning for severe wind gusts from tropical storm whatchamacallit." Now all of a sudden, "They" want the ability to issue "what warning" across "all 50 states", at the exact "same time". What event could happen, that obviously "they" know about, that they feel the need to inform us and put everyone into a panic all at the same time?!?

Am i totally off my rocker and over thinking it?!?

but it does seem to be something we should have, but perhaps the choice to participate should remain with the station..and if you are listening to a non participating station when SHTF..oh well, sucks to be you..just a thought.

True but using text messages to the region would be more effective. How many of you actually listen to the radio all night waiting for an alert? There are many other methods other than broadcast radio that are more effective. I am spearheading a group to visit with a Congressperson and the FCC to eliminate the mandatory requirement of the EAS. Will keep everyone posted to the progress. Don't hold you breath tho.

but it does seem to be something we should have, but perhaps the choice to participate should remain with the station..and if you are listening to a non participating station when SHTF..oh well, sucks to be you..just a thought.

In the midwest we have these things called tornado sirens. Hell of a concept use what are in effect air raid sirens to warn everyone of a tornado warning or other danger. The new ones we have in my area even have voice and can say what the emergency is.