Sign in to follow this  
nightslayer78

What is the best Survival Watch?

Been thinking about this... What would one consider the best watch for TEOTWAWKI?

I'm not talking necessarily about watches with gadgets.

Obviously soon or later it will be a pile of metal. But, what watch would last the longest before it becomes useless?

If it is battery powered, it would have to use the least amount of batteries, in the long term (20 years+). If it is solar/ kinetic powered how long does it take to fail?

Also, factors such as durability and weather resistances should be a factor.

Thank you!

(BTW I believe this is my first post on the forums, been an avid reader for awhile though)

As far as durability and weather resistance goes, I'd have to say that you can't go wrong with a dive watch - it's what I wear. Has the versatility of an everyday watch while also being a potentially useful item should the shtf.

As far as durability and weather resistance goes, I'd have to say that you can't go wrong with a dive watch - it's what I wear. Has the versatility of an everyday watch while also being a potentially useful item should the shtf.

Kidding aside I prefer a waterprooof self-winding analog Timex. The reason is that with hands you can tell direction and there is no battery to replace.

@ Rampart, How long does it last before the batteries run out? And, how durable is it?

@ Rod How long have you owned it? what issues have you found out about it?

Edited by nightslayer78

Batteries vary by manufacturer, but mine typically last 3 or 4 years - plus I always have a few backups laying around in a drawer somewhere so that I won't have to rush to the store should the day ever come.

And as far as durability goes, mine is checked out to withstand pressure underwater to 100 meters, and is VERY solidly built - this thing isn't going to stop working because I ran my arm into a wall or some such.

The very best advice I can give, is to pick a brand that you like/have had luck with, and find their line of dive watches. They're almost always the best.

Some good brands to look for: Seiko, Festina, and Rolex are all brands that I have had excellent luck with.

Edited by Rampart

nightslayer78, I am embarrassed to admit that I have had my Timex for almost 30 years! I have worn out three watch bands. I keep getting better watches as presents but the Timex keeps on ticking! However I did get one pretty cool watch.

post-1736-13851498141582_thumb.jpg

The face lifts up and it has a compass built in! I have only had it for two years so I really don't know how long it will last. It is not waterproof and I don't think it is real good quality. A family member got for me more as a joke I think. But pretty neat!

Edited by Rod

@ rampart, Thx I will look into them now =P

Btw, I am using a Seiko kinetic watch, works well but it is shiny metal and I do not believe it is built for durability. Even Though besides some scratches on the glass and a few lost "link bars?" it has held up just fine.

@ rampart, Thx I will look into them now =P

Btw, I am using a Seiko kinetic watch, works well but it is shiny metal and I do not believe it is built for durability. Even Though besides some scratches on the glass and a few lost "link bars?" it has held up just fine.

self winding no batteries I like the seiko also make sure they do not use batteries

http://www.amazon.com/Seiko-SNK805K2-Automatic-Green-Fabric/dp/B000LTAY1U/ref=sr_1_1?s=watches&ie=UTF8&qid=1341959493&sr=1-1&keywords=self+winding+watches

day date time regular hands do not want digital read out imo non magnetic {stainless} waterproof 99 foot

non reflective finish real crystal lens unless you going to do free diving past that this will do.and its 70 bucks.

a decent strap too.

no batteries to depend on, and, they can help you find your way like a compass[/QUOT

I still use my vietnam issue timex. Still works. Just had to get into the habit of winding the watch every evening

Earlier today, I was thinking about this thread while hanging out with one of my buddies when I spotted another great survival watch on his wrist - look into the brand Tawatec. His watch in particular is the Tawatec E.O.Diver Tactical ICS /w Rubber Strap, and I must say - it is AWESOME.

Not only are these watches non-magnetic, but they are also depth-tested to 200 meters and feature radioactive dial components which keep them glowing even in the most pitch-black conditions without having to 'charge' them in any light at all.

Check it out - http://www.tawatec.net

I'm gonna stick with my Seiko and Festina, but this is a great watch - no doubt about that.

Been thinking about this... What would one consider the best watch for TEOTWAWKI?

I'm not talking necessarily about watches with gadgets.

Obviously soon or later it will be a pile of metal. But, what watch would last the longest before it becomes useless?

If it is battery powered, it would have to use the least amount of batteries, in the long term (20 years+). If it is solar/ kinetic powered how long does it take to fail?

Also, factors such as durability and weather resistances should be a factor.

Thank you!

(BTW I believe this is my first post on the forums, been an avid reader for awhile though)

Hi,

This is my watch, and totally love it. I had a few titanium Citizen's eco drives, still have a Suunto Core all black military, which i use mainly for work, but my Casio G-Shock Mudman is the one i like the most. Just my take.

http://www.shopcasio.com/product/9995

nightslayer78, I am embarrassed to admit that I have had my Timex for almost 30 years! I have worn out three watch bands. I keep getting better watches as presents but the Timex keeps on ticking! However I did get one pretty cool watch.

Rod, I had a Timex that my golden retriever ate. I found it later in a pile in the backyard. And yes, it was still ‘ticking’. If it works, don’t mess with it!

Rod, I had a Timex that my golden retriever ate. I found it later in a pile in the backyard. And yes, it was still ‘ticking’. If it works, don’t mess with it!

Passing through a dog! :o Does that mean it is waterproof (at minimum)? Inquiring minds want to know. :confused:

Well...a couple of things...

Its after TEOLAWKI...will you really need a watch then?

I have a Seiko self winding analog that my Mother in Law bought me for Christmas back in 1980, still works...I need to take it in to get cleaned, starting to lose time.

Analog, windup/selfwinding watches will last a lot longer than battery powered ones, and most if not all of them are water resistant to a depth of at least 30'. I had a solar powered watch years ago, think it was a Casio...it did alright for a few years then it died...probably just needed a new battery but I had other watches so I didn't bother.

Well...a couple of things...

Its after TEOLAWKI...will you really need a watch then?

I have a Seiko self winding analog that my Mother in Law bought me for Christmas back in 1980, still works...I need to take it in to get cleaned, starting to lose time.

Analog, windup/selfwinding watches will last a lot longer than battery powered ones, and most if not all of them are water resistant to a depth of at least 30'. I had a solar powered watch years ago, think it was a Casio...it did alright for a few years then it died...probably just needed a new battery but I had other watches so I didn't bother.

Keeping time, accurately, is basic need for any civilization.

You may not need to know exactly to the minute what time it is. But arranging a time to meet someone, or if you want an alarm to wake you at Dawn, to mark the speed what which anything is traveling, or to monitor dawn and dusk times -> indicates time of the year -> mark the seasons -> rebuild the calender from the ground up. And a watch with Hands can be used as a compass. You can get ALL THIS information with a little know-how and a $5 childs watch.

no appointments don't need a watch find a direction use a stick or a compass

and for all those who think TEOTWAWKI will never happen I am sure the iphone

THEY have an app for a analog watch compass or a geophone weather radio and

emergency routing when all hell breaks loose and it comes with a video and MP3 player

VERY TACTICOOL even if it fails you could use it as a single use butt wipe.

I have not worn a jewelry or watch in years car has a clock truck cell phone

so I do not bother if Iwere going to have a watch it would be a self winding

analog water resistant to 3 atmospheres with an outer moveable dial

kilsonvorra's online search check reviews and buy is the best idea online reviews

are helpful why risk buying before finding out what previous owners have to say.

I have a solar powered Seiko. If SHTF i'd probably not worry about the time of day. Maybe i'd trade it for Bic lighters but I have a mess of them.

If I don't get my food supply built up i'd probably trade it for a weiner

CASIO for me.

The watch i've been wearing is a very old Casio, purchesed back in 1981 in NY city on Cannal St. Cost my $12 at that time, & is my EDC watch. It's not fancy, just an old face analoge with hands, no date, no day. Changed the battery only 3 times & the band 3 times as well. Had it on fireing all types of rilfes, yes even the big 50 BMG & it's still working. Water proof to 50 meters. It's the best $12 i've spent on a watch by far. Will be buying a Casio G Shock shortly, looking into the dive watch.

If your not " Physically Fit ", then your just Food for the Zombies.LOL.

In GOD I Trust, Everyone else keep your hands where I can see them!