Sign in to follow this  
brickintubesock

Any Machinegunners Here?

Any machinegunners here, or does anyone know where I could get pictures of how they pack? I know the military even tells you how to pack a duffel, so I imagine there'd be pictures somewhere. I've noticed they have to carry a lot in their combat rigs, so I was gonna' see if I could get some tips on how they pack all of it, especially when it comes to ammunition and odd bulk items like extra barrels, for instance. While I don't plan on bringing a 240 with me anywhere, I think they might have a good packing style that I should check out.

Assistant Gunner Carries the spare Barrel and high temp gloves in a bag that is MOLLE strapped to his pack with the Extra ammo. The Gunner Packs the M249 and M240 (miserable pain in the rears) slung over his neck and shoulder in the low ready using a heavily padded two point sling it is not comfortable or fun or cool, slinging a MG sucks thats why we assign the FNG's as gunners. No you don't port arms, shoulder arms or strap an MG to your ruck.

What he said {warrior7r} LOL

If you encounter a large group and tune that baby up you may notice that wide cone of fire concentrate on you

like lighting a match on a hillside at night it just draws attention.

there are command directives on equipment daily and mission specific orders, that being said

I think you will find that each person packs a bit differently I am ambidextrous to a fair level of shooting off hand.

but I am right handed so my mags go on my left and nothing near my gig line anything that inhibits bending

is bad.

watch weight distribution do not get lop sided good quality equipment / web gear is worth its weight in gold

I know that not everyone can afford it but I am a Bianchi fan I like their web gear many do not like flap holsters.

I like them they are quiet when you need to be they are padded so if you got to fall it does not fall out or

become disabled because it is simple I like snaps or clips not velcro a good snap or clip on a heavy mag holder is quiet

and the flap is heavy enough it hold the mags in even if open.

I like a good molle plate carrier vest so I can arrange my pouches my way. most have slots for 4 ar / ak mags 2 on each side.

sorry about the equipment tirade but if you do not have the right web gear that will last your going to be doing a lot of repair and your not fit to be in the field with some of this civilian crap it is noisy or will help you loose your equipment not retain it.

you need to tweak location of certain items but then leave it alone so you know where it is at.

without good gear you cannot take the fight to the enemy or be operational at all times a good vest has everything you need to protect yourself and basics to survive with it.

an individual is not a squad or a team you have to pack for solo mission readiness if those with you are not

military trained {just because they say they are means little to me} do not count on them for spares backup or anything else for that matter, because you have to work together and without a structure rank, training and equipment your disaster waiting to happen.

A lack of commonality of ammo weapons magazines will cause a lot of SNAFU'S there are a lot of retention holsters out there do you know how to remove the pistol from them all should you need to?

There is nothing so entertaining as watching a bunch of mountain boys with anything you can name

and a home made sling from woven grass cord and bailing wire tree sap and bat crap holding magazines

together ammo that has more fungus on it than the trees mixed ammo and home made woven fruit baskets

for a back pack and a flour or rice sack for a dump pouch, and a old plastic jug for a canteen.

and I always like the lanyard pistol holder in a sash of course the obligatory machete without a sheath.

looks like the beverly hillbillies meet sanford and son.

And that is the future we are looking at if we are not properly prepared

OLD SCHOOL

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All-purpose_Lightweight_Individual_Carrying_Equipment

NEW TECH

http://armyproperty.com/Resources/NSN-Listings/MOLLE-Overview.htm

http://www.kdhdefensesystems.com/products/military

this is you without equipment

http://libcom.org/history/1970-1987-the-contra-war-in-nicaragua

Edited by juzcallmesnake

Lol yeah I've heard some bad things about being a machinegunner - mostly how much of a pain they are, especially the 240 for some reason. A lot of people I've spoken to with far-reaching experience liked the M-60's better, but my dad hated carrying the thing lol.

Well I do plan on an LBE system, partially because I don't consider my pack a true BOB until I can survive a week of TEOTWAWKI with it, and my area will be a war zone if one spark hits this place. The way I see it, when it comes to carrying a bunch of gear into a dangerous situation that may involve every ounce of prepping and shooting experience I have, the military's probably the best place to start looking for how to do it right.

I don't plan on a machinegun, but I do plan on a 5.56 AK with 800 rounds or better - 300 on my belt in 30rd. mags, 500 in reserve (I'm near a large Army base, and the 5.56 NATO is the compatible ammo with the few people I do plan on hoofing it with, however my mags aren't, so I want to keep a good deal loaded. If 300 rounds can't get me out of something, 800 probably wouldn't either).

Also, due to my girlfriend's medical needs and the fact that we live halfway across from each other in a powder keg of a town, I'd much rather deal with the weight, than have to break a concealed route to resupply something when the gangs are going crazy, so a military style of packing is right up my alley.

I carried a M249 shorty in Astan, it was not that bad....M240's weight is the issue, weapon and ammo gets heavy fast...but M240 is far and away more lethal....M249 shorty that I carried was like shooting a shotgun at someone at 100 yards.....not accurate at all....keep spraying till you hit something....I liked the M60 also if you had a Marmont made one....they were accurate as hell and reliable....

Brick, I like the saw mag pouches for carrying largeer or bulky items. They will hold 6 30 round AR mags. I'm not sure what type of pouches you have or want, but I'll include a link to SpecOps Brand home page and their clearance section. I like their gear (have a couple tons of it myself..lol).

http://www.specopsbrand.com/

http://www.specopsbrand.com/tactical-gear/clearance-blow-outs.html

Blackhawk, Opsgear, US Cavalry, Brigade Quartermaster, and the other major suppliers all usually have a closeout or clearance section to peruse for good deals. I wear a MOLLE vest now, but also have the old school H-harness and pistol belt and the LBV (Load Bearing Vest) like was used before the MOLLE gear became standard issue.

Snake was right about the holsters, ammo pouch holders and such...avoid the ones that use velcro.

Velcro is good stuff don't get me wrong...but it makes a fair amount of noise when you try to open them discretely.

I used a belt rig as a machine gunner as it allowed me to carry far more ammo than a chest rig. Front left, front right and centre rear pouches can hold 300 rounds of 5.56mm each in 50 round belts, the other 2 can hold 400 rounds of 5.56mm link. The rig would be worn under my plate carrier which I then attached my spare barrel bag to via fastex clips that stopped it from swinging while running/crawling and also gave quick access to the spare barrel.

scaled.php?server=4&filename=20120223193706.jpg&res=medium