Sign in to follow this  
Rapture333

A REAL Emergency Fishing Kit - For about $40 bucks

I've always had a problem with survival fishing kits you can buy online. I often see small sardine like cans with some low test fishing line wrapped around a popsicle stick, or some hooks and line shoved into the body of a "survival knife". I don't think of these kits as being prepared, I think of them as what someone who is resourceful would come up with in an emergency situation. Even though they are better than nothing, and rather compact. I put together a rather inexpensive fishing kit that I spent roughly $40 dollars on at World Wide Sportsman (Bass Pro Shop). So here's what I was able to do with 2 twenties:

IMG_9556.jpg

So lets dissect this kit and see what we have inside

IMG_9557.jpg

This is whats called a Cuban Fishing Reel or Yo-Yo. All it is a circular hand reel made out of light plastic. As you can see, I drilled holes using a drill bit all around the edge of one side of the Yo-Yo to secure my hook, that way it doesn't go undone in my BOB or while not in use.

IMG_9558.jpg

For the line setup I used 100 yards of PowerPro braided 30lb fishing line, I also purchased 50lb Tuf Line brand leader, I cut about a foot off that for use as the leader (the strongest part of the line). Before raveling it you can see that I made two small holes in the Yo-Yo right next to each other, this is to feed the line through and to tie off a beginning point for raveling. I just used a small drill bit.

Edited by Rapture333

IMG_9561.jpg

Regular-300__12477_zoom.jpg

IMG_9564.jpg

For the rigging I used hooks by Gamakatu, I used their Octopus and Nautilus Circle type hooks. These are good for catching most kinds of fish both moderately big and small. You wont be catching sailfish, but these will catch you most of what you need off the dock, lake or river. Make sure the hook you choose will fit through your leader, the reason I chose such a thick leader and line is because in a survival situation I feel that it would be safer to have stronger than needed equipment, even though it might seem like an overkill at times. Also include some removable weights, they're easy: just bite on the weight to open the clamp wider if needed, place where you want on the line, and bite tightly to close it or use pliers.

IMG_9563.jpg

I found these pliers for about $3.20, they're compact and versatile. You'll need these to retrieve your hook from a fishes mouth. It even has a knife, file, philips and flat head screw driver. Very useful for cutting line.

Edited by Rapture333

IMG_9565.jpg

IMG_9566.jpg

When in a survival situation, you may not have the ability or energy to catch bait fish. I chose some artificiall bait here, you may decide to stock as much artificial bait as you want. It has been proven that artificial bait can catch fish just as good if not better than real bait. Shrimp is good bait to catch a large number of fish, this brand also baths the artificial shrimp in liquid that makes it more appealing to fish. The gum stick looking bait can be cut up into different shaped pieces, this is good for cutting the bait down to the right size for the particular fish you are trying to catch.

IMG_9559.jpg

You can put all your tackle into a Plano tackle box, this model is very small, only a few inches wide, perfect for putting into a small dry box or fitting into the pockets of your BOB!

A Plano dry box like the one used in the first picture is perfect for keeping your fishing supplies together, also whatever gets wet stays in the box and away from your other supplies, vice versa, everything inside stays dry. I keep all my gear together in a mesh Tools Pak bag.

Edited by Rapture333

i hope you dont plan on catching anything of size cause when you go to hand wrap that line, that braid is gonna cut the holly hell right out of your wrapping hand. 30lb mono running line and a 12-15lb leader roughly 6ft long is all you will ever need using the yo-yo from shore or most piers.

Edited by ricksconnected

I have to say that I was a little unsure about those yo-yos but nonetheless I ordered a pair of them off ebay for like 9 bucks. WOW those things are cool! I rigged one up light with 20lb and the other heavy with 50lb line. I can throw either of them a country mile. I like the idea about the holes. I'll do that on mine too.

When I am pulling a fish in I hold the yo-yo and NEVER wrap the line around my hand. I actually sort of wind the line back on the reel as I pull them in. I do have a cheap leather glove for my left hand. The circle hooks eliminate the hook set so I just start pulling them in when they move off. (I use them almost exclusively for catfish but imagine it would work as well on other aggressive species.)

I like the gulp earthworms to catch a small fish that with then be cut up for bait for bigger fish. I carry a spool with 10lb line and some small lures and jugs that I will use on cut poles for other fishing but the yo-yos will produce the bigger fish.

ive been using the yo-yos for yrs. good tools and do what they are designed to do.

no never wrap the line around your hand. just skip the braid stuff altogether and use a heavier mono if

you need bigger test line.

i hold the yo in my left hand for the retrieve. pulling my hand back like im about to bowl a ball and use

my right hand to grab the line and wrap it around the yo as im coming forward to "bowl" the ball

so to speak. this manner ive never seen anybody else to but me lol. it brings the fish in very quick so it doesnt stay in the water fighting to long and spooking away the rest of the fish in the area as they will do.

these yo-yo's are great to store 550 as well.

AS for the PowerPro cutting you... Yes it will! I use the stuff on just about all of my reels. 10 or 15 of them. Fishing is my thing. I get cut all the time, especially when saltwater fishing. Last year I was messing around and cut about 30ft of PP17 off of one of my reels and tied it to a 20oz coke bottle with a hook, a little weight and a chicken liver... Sort of make-shift jug fishing. I ended up catching a Paddlefish that was about 6.5ft and 70lbs. Hand lined him in, but it took about 45 minutes.

My philosophy on the survival fishing kit is a little different. Maybe it has to do with my region though. I have a small (Altoids sized) plastic tackle tray that has 4 or 5 dif sized SMALL hooks and weights. Also several small (size 10-16) flies in case I cant find bait. And a 100yd spool of 8lb line. My thoughts on this are as follows: I fish just about EVERY weekend. Many days I only catch small ones or none at all. But you can ALWAYS put on a small (size 10 or 12) bait hook and add a small piece of bait. I have even used a BB sized piece of red T-shirt. You can catch little bream by the DOZENS, in a matter of minutes. Not as glamorous as a 30lb catfish, but VERY dependable. And they are in just about every ditch and mud puddle here in the south.

You could also get a Sabiki rig. It is a pretied leader with 5-10 little "flies" tied along it's length. Yoiu put a weight on the end and tie it to your line. Slightly jig it up and down and bait fish will swarm it. Once again, not glamorous, but eats are eats! They cook quick, or can be eaten raw.

Believe it or not most big fish are near the bank in reeds and grasses as they are ambush predators and at night catfish

come up in the shallows same for bay and ocean fishing in fact right at dusk is good fishing your head net

with a piece of cracker or stale bread attract minnows and crayfish holes only need a bit of jerky on a string

of course most insects have fish that thrive on them so depends on where you are as to what bait

in creeks and rivers mayfly's are very good worms if you do not know grunting worms is a art not a

hard one to learn and takes nothing more than 2 pieces of wood or pvc one is a bit different technique.

Of course the can or coke bottle reel is something people need to try with yoyo's, jug and throw lines.

you can do some coral traps at the bank.

many flowers and weeds as well as other things have enough oxygen blockers to cause fish to come up

and you can use spears or a arrow net or snag to bring them in.

Pretty good kit. I live in an area with excellent catfishing and would do alot of absentee fishing so my kit includes some heavier hooks and line for setlining, as well as a kit similar to yours for catching bass & perch. I know of many ponds nearby where small bass can be caught one after another during warm months and the heads/entrails from them would be good bait for catfish setlines or traps.

A good idea if staying in one area would be to build or dam off a small pool from the rest of the pond or stream also so fish when the fish are biting extras can be stored alive for days when they are not. Precautions may need to be taken to keep raccoon from reaping the bounty though.

My kit also includes a commercial gig head. They can be made also, but the good barbs on a metal head are sure nice for holding larger fish. I've taken many gar and carp with mine, and it would work well on gamefish also in an emergency.

I would do pics of my coke bottle fishing rig but I would have to make it first and until I need it

I am not going to bother.

tie the end to the neck tight wrap around the waist of the bottle this is your reel tie hook with weight or bobber

on end of line unwrap about 3 foot whirl around head and throw while pointing bottom of bottle toward your

target the line will unspool as it hits the water turn the bottom 90 degrees so it is sideways to your target

your off hand {left for most people} holds the neck your right hand hold the bottle bottom and keeps the

line tight and both control friction and line feed.

I use rubber band to hold the hook & line so it does not unspool twisted around the bottle.

for most survival types this is old hat but for people not familiar with this it can be done with cans

bamboo most anything cylindrical just got to watch for splinters or sharp edges.