Sign in to follow this  
tinderwolf

Knife making

Guest kevin

hey wolf. iv'e got a good sized chunk of 3/8 sheet metal i was thinking about tinkering with(just going to make a "grubbing" knife i can use to dig roots with) if i harden it by heating white hot and dipping it in used motor oil(to boost the carbon) reckon it would serve?

Motor oil works and works better than water, just mineral oil works better. I've never personally taken it to just a white hot, it depends on the steel. I also don't "dunk" the whole piece, just about half and I normally try to submerge the cutting edge to quench it and leave the spine a little "softer" for strength (nonbrittle). It's the same as packing clay on the spine as they did with the true handcrafted katanas in Japan. You can watch the temper come into the steel as the color will dance along your steel.

Ok, I'm going to leave it to someone who can explain it better in words, hope I didn't add confusion....lol.

http://www.7now.com/tempering_steel.htm

Here's a link that hopefully explains it better than this hillbilly ever could.

You can also look up "temper by color" which will give more details about using the color of the heated steel to determine the Rockwell hardness. It's a crap shoot at best with color for the home bladesmith, as the naked eye doesn't differentiate between the subtle color hues for definitive and accurate deductions but it will give some more insight.

Edited by Regulator5

Guest kevin

thanks guys.....i have plenty of mineral oil....now i just gotta find the time lol

Hope it helps Kevin. I didn't get my multi purpose forge built this year over other issues (hope to this winter or next spring) but I'll probably be getting a small forge from a friend. I have a few wood projects to get done for Christmas, then hope to get a couple projects done myself.