Sign in to follow this  
Big Easy 2012

Optimizing property for hunting.

I'm sure the majority of us are planning on supplementing regular food stores with game collected hunting.

What efforts have you made, or would you suggest to increase the odds of a succesful hunt on your property in the event of a SHTF scenario?

Ive read that salt blocks will attract a lot of deer. The name of the book escapes me right now but the author had said in a SHTF/TEOTWAWKI situation you want to bring game to you as easy as possible. I dont have any hunting experience myself (yet) so Im sure some of the other members will have some great ideas.

Hunting takes alot of ones time & effort. Trapping will give you a better chance of obtaining meat weather big or small animals. It's better use of your time to do other things when trying to survive. Same thing applys to having multiple fish traps as well.

This all depends on the size and features of your property

If you live on a small lot a few hundred pounds of sunflower seeds and chicken scratch will bring in enough birds

and squirrels etc year round except in very hard weather, be frugal use a container to handle no human scent.

and they can be taken with a 22 short / CB or a BB / pellet rifle, as you can set the grain / seed at an optimal

distance and area and it does not take much.

trapping animals alive and keeping them for short periods of time or some long term storage will help you through the hard times.

if you have small water features consider seeding it with crayfish and or frogs crayfish are better.

unless your stock tank / pond is deep enough to have a thermocline 12 feet + deep then summers like this will kill everything in it. and it needs to be at least a half acre or better with shallows birds bring in fish and frog eggs on their legs.

you have to be able to supplement water in dry years a pond / tank is an eco system and it lives and dies like a human it needs everything you do food water and regeneration of all the components.

earthen features that inhibit sun and wind help reduce evaporation as do long grasses and cat tails etc.

consider a local perch as they have a fast regeneration cycle over other fish and catfish and bass are

predators and eat more than the the time for other fish in a small tank can keep up.

And just a side note Water even if it is on your property is not yours check your state and federal laws and you will find that any one can under the guise of official capacity can take it like a fire department or area shelters

to use for the greater good LMAO.

and you cannot just build a tank /pond there is paperwork and requirements in many areas.

set out stakes or measure off natural features to know ranges

have long spring traps live traps mouse and rat traps using them for bait or

catching other small animals or make into trip warning /perimeter security.

and bird netting certain animals need specific traps like quail.

snare wire or cable depending on size of game as well as bait apple scent and peanut butter are loved by almost all critters.

Edited by juzcallmesnake

On my place I've planted a food plot, and it gets alot of attention from turkeys and deer. Also put out salt blocks and mineral block in the winter. Another thing that helps is to make trails, animals often take the easiest route from point A to point B, just like people do. Build some blinds or elevated stands in areas with good visability. Maybe plant some apple or plum trees.

Talk to the state biologists....They can tell you what plants the animals like and might even do a survey of the property if it is large enough. Any type of nut producing tree or fruit tree will be a drawing card; but do not forget the other plants that animals use for food and cover....both are important.

heres a little something that will help your chances of harvesting some game thats less than permanant....walk if your out hunting and you havent seen or heard anything in your current location chances are your not going to for quite some time so just get up and walk slowly and quietly making sure you stop often to conduct slls (stop, look, listen, and smell) you will have a much better chance finding wild game that way. ps. I am speaking from expeirience in allmy years of hunting i have gathered more game while on the move than i have sitting down.

Food plots are great IF you can keep the deer away from it as it grows. We planted ten or so food plots of over an acre on my in-law’s property. Although we tried to ‘protect’ it while it grew, the deer pretty much wiped out all the plots before maturity. Then we tossed down a bunch of clover and it worked better. The deer seemed to love it and it was plentiful enough to grow.

We also planted a bunch of fruit trees all over the farm. We had 600 acres with all types of land formations and features. The trees never stood a chance! Deer loved them. So, one the second and subsequent plantings of trees we protected the young trees by placing chicken wire cages around the tree until they grew. That helped by the deer still chewed away on them.

Salt licks are also good to attract deer but it is usually against the law to hunt near one. But, if the SHTF, the cops will have problems of greater importance than conducting surveillance on a salt lick. I plan to put some in my backyard this fall for the deer to enjoy. The backyard is far too small to hunt on but I like watching the deer and turkeys using our backyard as part of their highway system.

Snake is right on target (again) by discussing trapping. It is a great way to get bunnies and squirrel. Of course the neighbors might get pissed off if their cats and dogs start disappearing so you have to be a little careful with traps.

Also, consider finding a farmer or two that will let you use their land to supplement your meat supply (hunting, trapping, etc). They might ask you do donate a little cash, share the goods or help out around the farm, but those are small prices to pay for a food source. Also, having a farmer as a friend and SHTF teammate is a wise move. Farmers tend to be a jacks of all trade, are fair to excellent hunters and usually have wells around their farms so you’d have access to drinking water if the public system fails. Add to that that farmers usually have acres of eatables which they might share with friends.

Ive been shopping for some 'country' land to buy for a while.

THe idea is to move there from Detroit, but not yet. SO whatever land I buy, I'd like to fertilize the whole place,or as much as i can, 1-2 times a year. Slowly building up the soil until im ready to move in. SO by the time I move, the ground will likely be the most fertile plot around.

I could grow anthing I want for baiting wildlife.... and salt blocks

Subscribe to any hunting magazine or even check out cabelas/bass pro for help. In any of the magazines I have read there will be multiple articles on where to place your plots, what kind of food to plant and everything else imaginable. I will take a look at my magazines to see some and maybe find it on the internet.

As a farmer/rancher, it looks like some of you understand us pretty well by your comments.

Salt blocks or mineral are a good attractant for game. Problem is that while game will use it year round, the heaviest use tends to be in the spring. Game during the warm months in many areas can be incredibly infested with ticks. I took a great B&C whitetail this December and was amazed at the number of ticks that crawled out of the cape while preparing it for the taxidermist. Literally hundreds, not sure the buck didn't give me a shot to get out of his misery. This year was just so warm and dry the parasites had never froze. Something to think about when deciding how and where to handle game. For food plots for a SHTF situation I'd look for a perennnial variety of plant rather than an annual. Alfalfa or many other perennial plants will come up from the root each year rather than having to be re-planted like an annual making your food plot viable much longer. Also I'd lean way more toward a well concealed ground blind than an elevated tower for SHTF. Being up in a tree or box off the ground makes me more visible to other people and limits my mobility. Also there is always the danger of a fall while getting into an elevated stand, falling asleep while it it, etc. If you do use one get a good quality harness and put safety first. Also unless your elevated box blind is bullet proof, you are a sitting duck for anyone that comes along wanting to pick you off.

Farmers and ranchers can truly be good allies and bad enemies. There are few farm kids who didn't grow up with a BB gun and put thousands of rounds through it while young enough to develop the necessary coordination and muscle memory well. Even those who don't hunt are often very proficient from the early days of shooting and from eliminating pests and predators around their place. When I took my CC class I watched a farmwife in her late 70's who had to use both thumbs to cock her 22 revolver thoroughly embarass a cocky young soldier with a Glock 45 in the shooting test. Few people of my generation want to spend their life working on the farm after growing up there, the money and hours are so much better in town. The old saying that farmers live poor and die rich is pretty true as the assets a farmer accumulates usually go back into the business rather than to personal items. The assets are there but not always able to be reached. Anyway, point of this is that the average age of farmers keeps increasing and these older farmers are realists. They realize that they can't do everything themselves that they once could, and they have lived through enough tough times to be open to the idea that they can come again. There could be opportunities in your area to gain access to land in return for helping out around the place and therefore building a relationship that could benefit you down the road. I have put alot of time and planning into what I would do in a disaster. As long as the disaster didn't take out my families land & cattle I could maintain a cow herd large enough for consumption/barter without modern equipment. Left alone I'd be fine, my biggest concern would be having outsiders stealing stock or trying to take our place. I have a group to help with this, could be that you could get in on something similar near home.