Sign in to follow this  
Kountry Boy

Appalaichan Trail Hike

Hey guys,

My wife and I are planning on walking the trail in sections when the weather kools off a bit. We will be starting off on the southern end in georgia. Do any of you have any experience with the trail? If so can you offer any insight or advice for us?

Kountry, I hate to direct unsolicited traffic, but Awake is well versed in the AP. He has several posts on here about it. I'll post a couple links I have found for the AP as well, but I haven't been able to hike it yet myself. Backpacker magazine has a AP "tour guide" available online also.

Hey guys,

My wife and I are planning on walking the trail in sections when the weather kools off a bit. We will be starting off on the southern end in georgia. Do any of you have any experience with the trail? If so can you offer any insight or advice for us?

good solid boots, hiking poles, and pick up a solid AT planner like http://www.theatguide.com/. There are several water sources that have been so badly contaminated that you cant make drinking water for them. IT has been several years since i completed GA, AT. I do remember that the Blood MT privy has three walls and one hell of a view. Worth the stop. I dropped into Suches Ga one morning and ate the best pancakes of my life(sorry Grandma). Good times for me and my boy. We hiked the Ga AT together before cars and girls became important to him. Feel free to PM me.

Edited by awake

KB, feel free to send me a message and I can help out. My friend and I hiked a third of the trail back in 2002. We went from GA to the start of the Shenandoah National Park. Quick tips.

-Pack light.

-We used trail running shoes instead of boots. The trail (except for some parts, mostly in PA) inst too rocky, so don't need lots of ankle protection. Of course depends on your physical health. Ounch you save on your feet save you pounds of weight/pressure on the back.

-I didn't use hiking poles, but know plenty of thru hiker that swear by them

-pack light (again).

-go over your gear and make sure everything has a purpose

-but feel free to bring some luxry items to make the trip fun. (books, cigars, whatever)

-we only used a tent about 3 or 4 nights in the two months. We stayed in shelters most nights. We still carried the tent with us as a back-up, but you could get away (and many do) with not carrying a tent. Of course, hiking with your wife you might want to.

-you'll be starting after all the north bound thru hikers, but might run in to some south bound folks

- Read Bill's book, but take it with a grain of salt. I liked it, but after it came out tons of people tried to hike the trail and had a warped sense of what it would entail.

If i think of anything else, I'll send it along.

good luck up there its a long hike :) im just south of there down at kings mtn and there are some good trails here to hike that are much shorter but just as challenging if you ever come this way. crowders mtn state park and kings mtn park both have a lot of hiking trails including a connector trial that connects both parks that runs literally next to my house

Guest kevin

i,m not even sure if this applies to the thread but my family and i just went whitewater rafting in S.C. on the catooga river , what i noticed while i was there is i was unable to identify a lot of the plants....i'm a wild edibles nut so that really bugged me....here in Texas i'm not overly concerned about where my next meal will come from if a shtf happens, there i knew some plants , but quite a few simply weren't there. and i'm sure i'd have missed out on some i should have been eating.....long story short.....get to know whats available in the areas you'll be going threw.

the nantahala up in the mtns is some good white water rafting also, but there are a lot of edibles here too just different than what TX has, im not even sure of a lot of them, but i do know blackberry bushes grow in abundance here as I have them growing all over my back yard.