Sign in to follow this  
LivingGray

Dimethyl Sulfoxide (DMSO)

I have used DMSO for effective control of infection in cuts and also as a rub for swolen and/or painful ankle and knee joints. It is available in Animal Supply places like Tractor Supply - sold as a horse liniment. It works. Has anyone else had any experience with DMSO? Google it for more information.

I want to relay a personal experience which prompted the above inquiry. This past Friday, I was unloading a 300 lb cabinet that my wife bought at a sale. I had it on rollers (2" pipe sections) and was slowly moving it off our trailer. At one point, it rolled farther than expected and landed on my right foot - more precisely my big toe on my right foot. It was sore but not bleeding, so I went on with the project. Later that evening, when I came indoors, my toe was very sore. Upon taking off my shoe, I discovered that it was totally red and about 1.5 times it's normal size. I washed it off and applied a liberal application of DMSO. Prior to going to bed, I put another large application of DMSO on the toe. By Saturday AM, the red was gone, and my toe was normal size. Throughout the day on Sat. - mowing the lawn ect. my toe again swelled but did not get red. Sat. evening before retiring, I again put on a liberal application of DMSO. By Sunday AM, the swelling was gone and there has not been any swelling or redness since.

Edited by LivingGray
spelling error

DMSO was quite popular in the '70's. The one thing that sticks in my mind was it's ability to "carry" other chemicals with it as it was absorbed by the skin. For example, if you had soap residue on your arm and applied DMSO there, the DMSO would be absorbed into the skin along WITH the soap. That could be a dangerous attribute. I'm not an expert on the subject, but I would look into that first if you want to continue to use it. Just looking out for your health and safety!

DMSO was quite popular in the '70's. The one thing that sticks in my mind was it's ability to "carry" other chemicals with it as it was absorbed by the skin..... Just looking out for your health and safety!

Smokecheck: Thanks for the concerns. Indeed, DMSO has been around for a long time - I've been using it for a long time because it works. And yes, it has the ability to pass directly through the skin and into the bloodstream and it can dissolve most other substances and carry them directly into the blood stream also. One must certainly take those variables into account before use.

Edited by LivingGray
to complete a thought

I remember reading that it is used in a topical cream designed for pain relief as the transport for the other parts. I also seem to remember it being used in the vet (animal doctor) area. Perhaps others will add to this.

i remember it causes carcinogens to enter the bloodstream quickly and attack the body with an alarming disposition. in other words , dont use it. the relief is temporary at best. i believe 60 minutes cracked the case open back in the 70s about its use and abuse and dangers...to me, not werth the risks

The warning are appropriate for DMSO there are other medications and analgesic creams that can do as

well without the dangers as in a less than perfect world too many biologicals and chemicals like benzene

that are in everything from our water to sex lube what is considered safe today as you can readily see from

lawyer, legal advertisements until it kills a bunch of people it's not on the radar and because this is just a

carrier it would not be seen as the detrimental element.

DMSO can affect how other medicines you may take act in your body, leading to potentially dangerous interactions. The effects of sedatives, blood thinners, heart medications and steroids all can be intensified when taken along with DMSO. It also may have negative effects on your vision. That said, it's effective for the treatment of a variety of ailments, including pain, inflammation, scleroderma, interstitial cystitis, and arthritis, and is prescribed by doctors in certain situations.