Sign in to follow this  
Shawn

Recurve Bows

Im trying to get started on archery. I saw an ad on craigslist for 2 recurve bows. Both PSE one is a Kingfisher and the oter is a Heritage? Thats all the info it had. Has anyone had experience with either of these? They are asking $200 for both. Is that a good price? I appreciate anyones input.

well cabelas sell them and they are a reputable company, made in america, and comes with a nice kit

i've never heard of them myself, they are cheaper at cabelas BTW...149.00

Oooooh hands on! We have one here so I may be......ok well be there checking it out. Thanks!

My wife and I shoot recurves. Lots of fun and easy to maintain. My wife shoots the PSE Blackhawk (got it from Sportsman's Guide as well).

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/pse-blackhawk-recurve-bow-left-hand.aspx?a=586357&e=Y

I shoot the Martin X-150. http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/Martin-Archery-Right-Hand-Recurve-Bow.aspx?a=427318&pm2d=CSE-SPG-3-GOOGLE&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cse

Both have been a lot of fun to shoot. Need to get some more range time in so I'll be ready to use it for hunting season this year.

Just out of curiosity, are bows a one size fits all sort of endeavor or what? Because I thought that draw-length and stuff like that had a lot to do with finding the right bow for oneself. I'm curious because, while I am interested in getting a bow, my wingspan could pose a bit of a problem there - kind of a giant.

Not trying to be ignorant, just a little uneducated as far as bows go...

Rampart, the draw length is definitely an issue with bows. Most traditional bows (recurves, flat bows, etc) are normally set at a 28 inch draw (default draw length) which is even short for me (my draw length is 31). They do have recurves and other traditional bows set for shorter or longer draw lengths, but these are normally "special order". Draw weight for traditional bows are normally established at the 28 inch draw length, while drawing further increases draw weight but can take the bow to an unsafe draw length for breakage.

I definitely would advise going to an archery pro shop to be fitted and find the bow most comfortable for you. I hope this helps and others can probably add more insight.

Thanks for the advise everyone! I was wondering about the draw length also. Ive just started thinking about taking up archery and I had seen the ad on craigslist and seemed like a good deal for two bows. Ill prob end up going to an archery shop and getting fitted for a bow for myself and my wife.

Just thought I'd toss my 2 cents in. I've been practicing archery for about a year and a half now. From all the people I've talked to, and books I've read, this is the low down on traditional (long bow and recurve) archery.

A long bow is built to launch a heavier arrow, further, with more power. This basically means a Wood arrow. Can it shoot others? Yes. I have a longbow, and I shoot aluminum (its all I can afford) arrows all the time, and they fly just fine. Many traditional archers swear by a Longbow for hunting. Because it has an arrow with more impact and penetration power, they prefer it for game like deer and maybe elk.

Recurve bows are meant to shoot a somewhat lighter arrow, faster. Not neccisarily with more power, but it is quicker. The extra speed means the animal (or whatever target) has less time to recognize the noise and run. I have experience with both, and honestly its all sixes to me. On the one hand, a longbow I find more powerful, and the heavier arrow is a bit of an advantage. (more knockdown power) But on the other hand, I can fire a recurve bow on the move, and with a bit better accuracy. So really... its all personal choice lol..

I am not against primitive weapons bows are the best of the lot of the hand held ones for weight and defensible shooting distance

my problem is maximum distance is about 30 yards to 60 dependent on skill and other variables I have killed a lot of small game with a flu flu and a blunt

{not a MJ joint} the blunt in this case is a special tip shown below one of many designs.

http://paarcherysupplies.com/styled-49/styled-62/

I have no want to kill any dreams but, if you weight a bow and all the gear average bow 3 pounds now add quiver head wrench release pin sights

blah blah blah and cost well it is as good to have a multi barrel single shot rifle three barrels I would have are the

223 308 and 12 gauge adapters will give you an almost infinite number of cartridges that can be fired.

in countries where firearms are restricted bows are a great option and a crossbow would be my choice PSE TAC or look up twinbows

Mucho power greater distance over 300 pounds of force / pull on some of these new bows cross bows are slower but more power

recurve are less powerful but faster to shoot.

you don't get something for nothing f you have a bow and in dangerous game territory your live bait stealth is your most important weapon other than common sense.