Sign in to follow this  

Hi guys and gals.

I've been wondering if it would be a good idea to carry bolt cutters or maybe a hacksaw in my BOB. I'm not a thief, but if a bolt or lock stands between me and living longer, it's history. I carry a crowbar, but that won't work unless the lock is stronger than what it's locking. I've heard of the folding bolt cutters, but that's a lot of weight, size, and money that I could use for other things.

Do you guys think a bolt cutter or a hack saw would be that important? Or should my crowbar be able to get me by? Any other gear I should check out?

Well what do you guys think about hacksaws then? I mean, it seems like a small hacksaw would be versatile (like how you might use different blades) and lightweight, but would that be enough to justify the extra thirty seconds when compared with the bolt cutters that are heavy and only have about two uses, but are quick?

I would think that even just carrying a hacksaw blade or 2 in my BOB would be a good idea. I don't thing, due to the weight, that I would carry a handle & if I did, it would be one of those small handled ones.

When it comes down to it, a bolt cutter is a quick squeeze, the hardened steel of most locks would take quite a while to cut through with a hacksaw blade, handle or not. I don't have one in my bob but it is in my bov. I'd say the bolt cutters are worth the weight. In a pinch you could use it as a blunt weapon

IMO its a no brainer. I'll be picking up another bolt cutter for my bob after this

Bolt cutters are a good thing to have in your tools for survival. Carried in your BOV or stored at your BOl. I would not have them in your daily driver vehicle. If pulled over and searched, the LEO will look at the bolt cutters as a tool to use in the possible commission of a crime. Not that they are illegal. If bolt cutters, duct tape, plastic wire ties, bandanna, flashlight ect are found in your trunk then LEO may look at you differently and possibly detain you. I know i dont want the hassle.

Now in a shtf situation, load the bolt cutters. Just remember that at 4 pounds that can add to your load quick. If i can bail out by vehicle then i have them. I have a set at home and BOL. If i have to hoof it then the four pounds is better used with other items. Just my simple thoughts.

I like that idea. Think the usual wire cutter in a multi-tool could stand up to that?
Typical wire cutters arent robust enough. Mine are http://www.homedepot.com/Tools-Hardware-Hand-Tools-Cutting-Tools-Bolt-Cutters/h_d1/N-5yc1vZc259/R-100174049/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051

Strong enough to snip through chainlink fence. In my GHB/EDC

Edited by NavyVet_77

The thing to consider as far as using the hacksaw is having the correct blade for the job.

Carbide blades or rods cut hard steel, glass & ceramics; if cutting wood a coarse blade or a multi tooth per inch blade would fill the bill. Often extra blades can be stored in the handle of the saw adding to its versatility. With the right blade cutting up game can be speeded up as well. A tool to consider for sure.

Yeah I was thinking about one of the small ones like you might use for car exhausts. Those have come in handy for me a lot they can use full size blades.

I also came across something online today called a Halligan bar (aka Hooligan bar) that might be a good tool to look into.

My friend has one of those fancy new multi-tool kind of crowbars - on one end it looks kind of like a pretty narrow pickle fork - or a straight version of the claws you see on hammers and crowbars - that he says you put on the bolt or lock and then kick, and supposedly it will break most locks as well as a pair of bolt cutters would. When he can text me back I'll see if he's tested it yet.

I watched a Youtube video a while back of a guy who bought a canvas bag to keep a pair of bolt cutters, something like a Stanley FUBAR, and another item (maybe a hatchet ?). It's not a bad idea to have these things, and if you're a tool guy you'll probably have them anyway. If you want to spend a lot of money get a titanium halligan tool.

I've got a shop loaded with most of what Sears Craftsman has ever made, most of which I inherited from my father who literally spent hours polishing his tools, and so I don't carry many tools with me or have a toolbox on my truck. I had one on my last truck, but I never kept anything in it long-term. I have at times wanted a hammer, at times a pry bar, and more times oddly enough than the other two - a hatchet while I was out and about. I was looking around Amazon and found this ugly, junky "tool" with a hatchet head, hammer, and prybar. There were actually three brands, and I bought the one that had the best reviews, lol. I got it, and like the reviews said, it's poorly crafted and very ugly. It is tough though, and I wrapped the head in an old dish towel and rubber band and placed it in one of the compartments under the rear seat of my truck.

Also, I would not detain you solely for having these items. Police officers examine the totality of the circumstances assuming they know what they're doing, and I admit not all do. If I knew you to be one of our local dirt bags then yes. If you were found darting around at night with bolt cutters and a crowbar stuck in your pants then yes we'd have problems. Realistically though if they're in the trunk of your car or in a tool box in the bed of a truck then they'd never know they're there unless you consented to a search or some other activity you shouldn't have been engaged in led them to a PC or inventory search. The moral of that story, don't be intimidated about carrying certain items around with you.

sometimes what appears as a problem is actually a time to reconsider.

a locked gate that is no longer locked sets off alarms in whom ever watches that gate

lock picks and shimming a pad lock is fairly easy and leaves little evidence of entry.

the one problem if you can get in is there another way out your going in blind.

there are other reasons for locks other than to prevent theft some people are

responsible and know that this area is dangerous form chemical or building degradation.

bolt cutters are heavy as heavy as a good quality weapon picks and shims are only a couple of ounces.

regular earth clay and magnesium can cut any chain or bolt a hack saw is a good Idea but you need a selection of blades.

pad locks that have rivets only need the rivets filed off and then the sheets can be tapped off with a hammer.

a car jack can be used to spread a gate or hold a chain tight to burn, file or saw.

as long as you remember that sawing takes a lot of time as any of these methods

so better have a look out because you may just have a large bullseye on your back.

you need a good sized bolt cutter to snap a lock .... hardly anything you would want to carry in a walking bug out situation ..... chain link fencing is a whole different animal .... fencing pliers and hacksaw blades or a small bolt cutter and blades make good sense ...

Well so far, if I do budget the space and weight for bolt cutters, the smallest and lightest pair I can find here that don't cost a ton, open to 3/8" at maximum, are 28" long, and weigh four pounds. I would try something like shims, but I figure that if I need to get a lock open quick, they might not be the best.

go with the bolt cutters but it's going to take a good size pair to cut through good steel. just remember, you have to have enough ass in your pants to use them!! also, a hacksaw isn't going to add that much weight, at least have the blades, you can always wrap an old rag or something around it to save your hands. just my opinion.

Check out the Lenox trifold saw-I just got one ,it replaces both wood and metal saws in my BOB,and uses sawzall blades:they come in about any size and configuration you could want. Also,have you considered one of those rechargeable dremels&cut off wheels?make short work of most locks!