Sign in to follow this  
rachel626

finding like-minded people

sorry if this is the wrong place for this question, but i'm new here, so i can blame it on that, right? ;)

i'm pretty new to preparing and planning and unfortunately i don't have any family or friends that are really interested in creating a plan and learning different survival techniques with me.

as i believe there is strength in numbers, how do i go about finding like-minded people in my area?

Rachel, that would depend on what type of survival techniques you want to learn and what scenarios you are planning for? Since you are in school for a degree in Emergancy Management, I would look at finding a local C.E.R.T. team (Look into Washington Township FD for some help; they are very thorough and have alot to offer). You can also look at American Preppers Network (found online) and join (free). They offer seminars, classes and other related events and have local clubs you can join.

If you need any further assistance or have questions you can PM me also if not wanting it in open forum. Let me know what techniques and skills you are most interested in and I'll try and help point you in the right direction around Indy.

Greetings, Be careful about letting to much info out about yourself until, you spend sometime on this site. You can gather alot of great info just listening and reading posts. Becareful I have met alot of persons who are like fire truck chaser, police want to be.............and such...........tried to involve friends

Hi Rachel and welcome to the group. The others have warned you to go slow and be careful so I will skip past that. Nuff said... What you want to look for is simple centered people. Avoid the extremes and look for moderation. If you don't have a gun then that will need to be one of your first things to get. Not only is it a very important tool but it also can be your entry into meeting the sort of people you might need to get to know.

Unfortunately our liberal brothers and sisters out there are in general not going to be the type to prepare. They will depend on the government to take care of all their needs and I hope they won't be too disappointed when they find themselves without. In general gun people are not of the liberal persuasion. That said some of the radical gun nut types are pretty scary so remember, moderation in everything.

Go to the shooting range and maybe take classes. You also might look into the

http://indiana.preppersnetwork.com/

and see what sort of people they are. The Texas group is pretty nice. In general if you lean towards older people rather than the 20 year old group you will find a more settled and measured group. Many will have kids and that makes you less likely to want to go Rambo. If you are fairly young and urban you might look into finding and older rural couple that would enjoy a little help in their garden. This will give you an in if you have to scoot out of the city. You can find these people at farmers markets and such. I know a bunch of old hippies that grow and sell produce for a little extra cash. They are mostly good people. Most, like me, learned that love only gets you so far and they are not near as peace loving as they were when they were kids.

Look into ladies groups...sadly that will avoid a lot of testosterone induced crap. Guys are necessary for the continuation of the species and can be pleasant at times but we DO have our special issues as I'm sure you're aware. There are some really nice folks out there but you will need to get to know them before they will open up much to you. I know several preppers in the surrounding area and the smart ones keep their preparations pretty quiet.

Good luck

I've only seen good advice on here so far. Sadly, I have to agree with Danm about liberals - most of my friends and family are extremely left wing, and they think I'm a paranoid nutjob for prepping.

I'm learning to keep with the "gray man" illusion as much as I can, especially around people I'm close to. One day you'll start a conversation with a longtime friend about a prepping subject, and the next thing you know people are nicknaming you "MacGuyver" or "Rambo". Stay away from traitors like them, as well as people who've never done a hard day's work - they'll be the first to try to rob you.

The people on this site are awesome - thanks to them, my effectiveness as a prepper and someday as a survivor, continues to grow. Ask every question you need, and answer every one you can.

sorry if this is the wrong place for this question, but i'm new here, so i can blame it on that, right? ;)

i'm pretty new to preparing and planning and unfortunately i don't have any family or friends that are really interested in creating a plan and learning different survival techniques with me.

as i believe there is strength in numbers, how do i go about finding like-minded people in my area?

Rachel,

welcome aboard. You might find some good stuff here:

http://thesurvivalmom.com/

As others have said, avoid the 'mall ninjas' - they're nuts and can get you hurt. Feel free to ask any questions you like. There are several of us old dinosaurs here (my grandkids call me an 'ancient pelican':rolleyes: but I got old by surviving my mistakes so maybe I can be of help. Feel free to PM me with any questions if you don't want to do open forum stuff.

Rachel, welcome to the clubhouse. I read the above posts and don't disagree. I think Autonomous' paracord bracelet idea is funny but accurate. Also, I try to read all the posts here since we have the good fortune to have a lot of folks with real world experience on tap for advice. Making the connections is difficult and not something I can give too much advice on since my family was prepping since I was a child, even though I did not know it at the time. I thought everybody had a years worth of food in their pantry (and no, not Mormon, just farmers), planted a multi-acre garden and spent days at a time canning fruits and vegetables.

Anyway, what I wanted to mention is that though I don't have your same family "issues", I did have a hard time convincing my wife after we were married that I am not nuts (well, at least on this topic). I think you may be able to bring your family around, but you have to do it in stages. Most of us here have our own pet "End of the World" theories, but all of us have recognized that bad things can and do happen. I don't want to tell you how to handle your family but this is my suggestion:

Hurricanes, tornadoes, earthquakes are all real and all of them can leave you in sh%t state if you are not prepared at least with food, water and shelter. I think there is a thread here on the boards that deals with getting family or spouse to at least see the utility of prepping. Here on the Gulf Coast, we deal with hurricanes and the threat of violent weather all the time. For my wife, she grew up with earthquakes. The first time she had to weather a hurricane here she decided real quick that being prepared when the lights go out is a good thing, and so was being able to cook without electricity. This is the first point, which is keep it in the "real world".

For me, I am very close to my siblings even though we live hundreds of miles apart. Since we are all like-minded about prepping they provide a huge security net and vice verse because they know if anything should happen to them they have a place with us. On the other hand, I work with a guy who routinely talks about his "nutjob" brother with his fringe political beliefs and end-of-the-world planning. I just nod and keep on going about my business. So my second point is don't bring your politics into it. The tornado that blows away your neighborhood didn't vote for Obama or McCain in the last election.

My third point is very simple: if you want it, live it. If you want to bring the family on board, or at least let them understand what you are thinking, then do stuff with them. Get your father, or brother, or sister or mom to go camping with you. Or hiking, or at least a walk in the park. Enjoying the outdoors will let you explain the camping stove or the sleeping bags and also will let you get some field experience at the same time. My father was an excellent hunter and outdoorsman and I learned a lot just walking in the woods with him.

Anyway, long post. You are on the right track to want to get together with like-minded folks and I firmly believe that trying to go it alone is not a viable long term survival plan for you, me or for most other people without extensive training. My thought is that, naive as it sounds, having family watch your back is the best way to go.

stick with people you already know first.. im sure there are more people you know that think like you since most friendships evolve around like-mindedness.. the interwebz is too full of rambo wannabes and psychopaths to take chances

the interwebz is too full of rambo wannabes and psychopaths to take chances

I keep telling you quit talking about me!

and as far as your signature:

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects

-Robert Heinlein

I can do all of that but I don't wanna any more LOL

Welcome Rachel! Regardless of how you got here, you've fallen in with one of the best support groups anyone new to preparedness could hope to find. The advice offered in this thread is solid gold. Take your time, use caution, and pay attention to your instincts when looking for local people with the same interests as you. Be sure YOUR interests are being served and you're not assimillating someone elses to be part of THEIR group. There are so many things you can learn on your own right in your own back yard, not to mention the well of knowledge on the Survival Cache website and forum. Good luck and keep posting!

Straydog