Sign in to follow this  
rachel626

hello all!

New to the forum today - actually found this site while preparing a presentation on bob's.

I'm Rachel...a 27 year old full time student from Indianapolis. I'm currently studying homeland security and plan to get my masters in emergency management. While I've got the book smarts, I'm lacking in the "street smarts" of prepping. Born and bred in the city, I have much to learn about survival preparedness and the critical application of such techniques. I'm really looking forward to learning about different pratical application resources and ideas!!

Welcome fellow Hoosier. I spent some time down in the Circle City (helped build Circle Center Mall, Fisher's Police Station, U of I, etc) and have some kin down there; One is on Metro PD and the other works for the Sheriff's Dept.

Edited by Regulator5

Welcome to the forum Rachel!

We are a good bunch (most of us anyway) with enthusiam (some with more than others)! I hope you enjoy participating! :o

Dip your toe in! We need a taste! :P

Just kidding you! Hope you have fun!

Wow and up and commer, I was beginning to feel lonely I am currently in the military finishing up over twenty years but I have my Masters in Emergency Management with my focus on Operations (Mitigation and Response). Are you focusing on Relief and Recovery or Operations? finding someone who is going for their Masters in this field is rare even Harder to find the schools that provide the courses and fully accept each others courses who are you going through. I had to bounce schools I started at Barton moved to Central Texas, than finished through Texas A&M. It wasn't the simplest road especially with the military but being deployed so often had a side benefit when I was able to study there were actually less interuptions it was always harder for me to study at home. Unfortunatly Texas A&M doesn't offer the program anymore not enough interest I hear South Dakota State has a complete program that is pretty good. Been thinking about seeing if anyone does a doctorate program recently.

Edited by warrior7r

New to the forum today - actually found this site while preparing a presentation on bob's.

I'm Rachel...a 27 year old full time student from Indianapolis. I'm currently studying homeland security and plan to get my masters in emergency management. While I've got the book smarts, I'm lacking in the "street smarts" of prepping. Born and bred in the city, I have much to learn about survival preparedness and the critical application of such techniques. I'm really looking forward to learning about different pratical application resources and ideas!!

Rachel - Welcome and congrats. I admire your realization for the need to be prepared at an early age. My only advice is that the "street smarts" that you say you lack, in my opinion, equal experience. Experience can't be taught. Get out there and experience things, meet people, participate, etc. In time you'll feel much more confident. Best of luck. This is a great source for information and counsel from some fine folks.

Welcome, Rachel. Always nice to have another woman here, the guys definitely outnumber us, but they're a good bunch.

I'd be interested in hearing from both you and Warrior7 what is being taught in comparison to our thoughts and feelings here, if possible.

Welcome to the site..

Books are great and study them often..

Now get to the woods................................lol..its about Bush craft...learn basic stuff first.Fire!..Cleaning water(filteration)/findind and fixing food...shelter...

that should do it.lol

keep us posted.and ask QUESTIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Relatively new to the forum as well. I can tell you what I have experienced are outstanding people and an amazing site. I got addicted to it pretty quick. Good luck and welcome!