Sign in to follow this  
ImBuggingOutMan

Anyone have a bug out truck camper?

i like both setups guys.

1 looks all nice and high tech. down side, it will draw a crowd.

the other looks like its ready for deer camp and battle tested.

i like both of them for very different reasons.

Battle tested indeed my friend, that truck has been through hell and loaded beyond capacity so many times I cant count.

A real workhorse..I will never buy a truck made after 1979, and certainly never anything but Chevy..the truck is 38 years old and all I have had to do is replace the alternator...

Yea, cause with enough manpower thats a BOV.... just roll it wherever you want right.

that and it does not look like a shelter and you can camo it a trailer well it looks like a livable trailer all anyone

has to do is wait till dark when they see you pop you through the glass.

They give a false sense of security hell a 22 will go all the way through one and once someone watches it

they know where the bedroom is 3 round of 12 ga. and they are the new owners.

Although comfortable and nice amenities they have zero security so people need to know where they are going and who is going to be there because its a beer can target with wheels and it's hunting season.

Not just from a security standpoint, but from a comfort standpoint if this is going to be a long-term living situation - the walls don't really retain much heat. There's almost no R-value to them at all, and the windows and vents tend to pull warm air right out of the RV, too, during winter.

Here's what the North Dakota State University extension service recommends:

http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/pubs/ageng/structu/ae1510.pdf

Another list of reminders:

http://rv-roadtrips.thefuntimesguide.com/2009/12/winter_rv.php

Running a heater of any kind will require propane, kerosene if you're a risk-taker, or electricity, so finding ways to seal air leaks, insulate outer walls, etc. will be the kinds of passive changes that will help you in a real SHTF scenario.

Ive been doing a lot of looking at truck campers now myself. There was an article on truckcampermagazine.com on using a truck camper as a family emergency vehicle. I also like the idea of having it preloaded for a quicker bug out. I dont think I would use it as a permanent solution, but I think it would be great to get to a bug out location

Very nice solution. While not the answer to everything that can happen, as an engineer I think in terms of statistics. So, statistically speaking, the chance of having to drive through a post-apocalyptic war zone and being shot at or roving mobs is just shy of zilch (though admittedly those odds are looking more probable every day). Again, statistically speaking, you will almost certainly deal with storms (winter/cold and summer/hot), evacuations if you live is wildfire or hurricane areas, and the obvious things like camping for pleasure. Given those statistics I think your solution is a very effective one and trying to maximize your ability to weather those things that are most likely to occur is a very realistic approach to survival (at least to me).

I also bought an old truck-camper a few months ago and am converting it to be more BO/BOV friendly. For the sake of sharing ideas, here are some of the things I am doing with mine. They might be useful to you, maybe not. *Removing toilet and adding a compost-style toilet so that I don't need to worry about water for it or gray/black water storage. *Switching everything I can to 12V and lighting to LED to minimize power consumption and eliminate need for a generator. (I also have some solar panels that will go on it.) *Removing refrigerator and adding 12V cooler. *Removing stove/oven to make more room for storage and using single burner LP for indoor cooking. *Adding a handgun safe that is bolted such to make it as difficult as possible to remove. *Stocking it for long term camping as that is largely what I will be doing either for pleasure or for BO purposes. *Replacing some windows with windows that are more like home-style windows and more efficient, and adding a layer of plexiglass to others and sealing them for efficiency as well. *Lastly, I'm going to add 1/2 foam board over the existing walls/ceiling and then cover with paneling so it looks "newer" and is better insulated.

Perhaps that will give some more ideas to you. Great thread. Keep up the good work BuggingOutMan. Don't let anyone discourage you. Your choice of BO solutions will be very used and enjoyed even if civilization remains civil.

Howdy,

I'm new to the forum, and I just found about it. I have a 2002 Ford F-250 Super Duty with a 11 1/2 foot Shadow Cruiser slide in camper.

I had the opportunity to be part of a convoy of restored military vehicles celebrating the 40th anniversary of the opening of the Alaska highway in August of 2012.

Our organization is the MVPA, the Military Vehicle Preservation Association. I was part of the support crew with my pick-up camper.

We drove through British Columbia, the Yukon Territory, and Alaska. It took us the whole month of August to complete the trip, round trip from the starting point of Dawson Creek, British Columbia.

I spent a total of six weeks living in my camper. I traveled a total of just over eight thousand miles in six weeks.

It was a great learning experience. What is needed and what isn't on an extened trip, is constantly changing, and needs to be carefully planned.

If anyone has questions that I may be able to help with, I'll be happy to help.

Back in a different life, I too had a slide in when I was running around playing the rodeo circuit...

I am retired law enforcement and now living in a '73 Class A RV.

I write to encourage you in a bit different direction. Your thought into the list to 'stock' your outfit is a really good start. My focus is currently to be redundant in my preps. This outfit has an Onan gen set already. It may or not start when it is freezass outside. My goal now is to get this to 'run deep - run silent'. That is to get set up with deep cell batteries and inverters as an alternative to shore power and/or the gen set. I am outfitting both the camper and my daily driver so I have three/four deep alternatives in civilization and two/three off grid. The advantages are just redundant CYA.

For lights - I have converted all bulbs to LED for less draw and better lighting.

For heat - I have a propane furnace (suseptable to the wind blowing out pilot), infrared wall mount, stove and oven. I also have an electric heater.

I hope to add an inline on demand water heater to back the little propane water heater.

May I reccomend a site as is dedicated to this type of 'power down' preparedness and has free and for purchase videos covering exactly how to set up such backups?

check out Steven (Storm) Harris sites

http://www.Battery1234.com

it will lead you to several more of his sites