Sign in to follow this  
ImBuggingOutMan

Anyone have a bug out truck camper?

Hey everyone, this is my first post and I pick this area of the forum because I recently acquired a slide in truck camper, and my idea is to completely supply it for a bug out situation. Its on a 1974 chevy fullsize pickup, I already have a long list of contents that I believe I need or already have. Of course I understand the importance of water and food, but I'm talking about the little stuff..if you have one set up or have an idea that I've overlooked let's hear it.

The big list:

An extensive tool collection for repair of camper and truck.

Large first aid kit.

Cast iron skillet, Dutch oven.

Plenty of foil.

Chainsaw (gas powered and hand style)

Small amount of clothes.

Collapsible bucket, large and small.

Hunting/fishing gear (rifles bows and fishing poles)

Assorted knives (filet, skinning, survival, machete, folding)

A few books to cure boredom.

Spare truck parts (alternator, starter, plugs and wires)

Toilet paper

Booze

Towels/rags

2 standard coolers

I'm sure I left some stuff out and im also hoping to be informed of some that I never thought of.

Well I guess I'm the only one! But seriously if any of you have any experience working on campers I could use some brain power. There's two spots that have been water damaged, the leak has been located and will be repaired, but I'm stuck on replacing the paneling where the damage took place. Should I take the whole section out or jus cut it and piece it in.

Also it has an ice box style fridge with no electric, should I replace it, yank it entirely, or just leave it and hope I can find a freezer wherever I decide to park

Its an interesting idea. Ive thought about getting one down the road for camping. I currently lack the funding for that now though lol. Good luck with the project. Let us know how it works out for you. How many people do you think could comfortably sleep in it?

Hows the camper coming along? One thing you may not have considered is 2-cycle oil for the gas chainsaw. Theres a brand of shelf stable premixed gas that would be good for long term storage. Good luck with the project. Some pics would be great.

I'm buying an old 1/2 ton military trailor to build a bug out trailor out of. Me and a guy I work with made one and put a truck cap on it and sealed it up w silicone and its sweet. Plenty big.enough.to sleep 3 wide and lots of ground clearance. All you have to Do to the truck is get a pintle hook for the hitch reciever and splice the trailors old military tow cables to match.your truck if it hasn't already been done. I'll take some pix of that next time I go up to his house.

post-2461-13851498198056_thumb.jpg And now you know. The second to last is the panel I had to take off, chase a leak, do a whole shit load of caulking/patching, and eventually put up a new piece of underlayment. Decided to just cover the window for better sleep, and peace of mind...Dont want sasquatch throwing a snake through it anyway.

post-2461-13851498196791_thumb.jpg

post-2461-13851498197223_thumb.jpg

post-2461-13851498197589_thumb.jpg

I do not see the reasoning in this because with 30 to 50% fatalities I guess

I would have my choice of vehicles I want the one past the traffic jam

I do not care how nice the one is at the back of it.

That and a good siphon hose.

And I do not care how much ground clearance or power if it is not bullet resistant

you will just be found slumped over the steering wheel.

some time back a guy was shot through the tailgate through the back bed of the truck and the cab

through the seat and into his AZZ.

motorcycles are like skeet targets to me small planes are the best ultra light I don't think so skeet again.

when thing go nuts everything is a target have you not seen road signs and this is in a normal world.

vehicles are dependent on Air in the tires a battery that is not protected, brakes, fuel, radiator that is not protected and a live driver in a traffic jam your a target NOT MOVING.

Watch where and how you invest your prep money, "chance favors the prepared mind" .

I have a BOL 1 mile away solid reinforced concrete steel door 4 observation ports power 24/7

on the high ground and it is free.

my plan is not to sit in trafic or bug out with everyone else im bugging in . this is but 1 of my bug out vehicles and when i do move to 1 of my locations i got stuff to bring so ill be leaving my bug in local and carying my arsinal and food and fuel and other things with me . this is how i choose to leave my location im praying to god i have time to cary my shit out . if not i have a get through anything vehicle on the trailer to get me to my final destination . the side roads and fire roads will not be over packed were im going ..