Sign in to follow this  
LivingGray

A tell-tale record

One of the most used form of communication is our computer connected to the Internet

Do you remember the "Casey Anthoney" trial - one piece of evidence that the Prosecution used was the log of web sites visited on the home computer.

I'm on AOL. Every time just prior to when I go off line, I click on Edit on the top toolbar, and then click on Remove Toolbar History - and it's gone - no record of my visits anywhere.

Just something to think about.

Gray, you may be removing the first level of browsing history, but nothing is ever deleted from your hard drive. its stored forever and if someone wants to see what you've been looking at, they will be able to find it in the depths of your computer with a little computer ingenuity. point being, dont look at anything that you would not want other folks to know you're looking at.

Gray, you may be removing the first level of browsing history, but nothing is ever deleted from your hard drive. its stored forever and if someone wants to see what you've been looking at, they will be able to find it in the depths of your computer with a little computer ingenuity. point being, don't look at anything that you would not want other folks to know you're looking at.

Unless you do a "military wipe" that statement is true. A wipe overwrites the file with all Hex "F" and then Hex "0". Do that 7 times and the technology that I was aware of 15 years or so ago could not recover that data. Do it once and even city police forces could recover the data. Mac's have a "private browsing" feature on Safari that does that for you but it doesn't do a wipe.

If you don't want it know, don't put it on a computer. The military uses white phosphorous grenades setting on top of mass storage to protect it. Melt it down and it is not recoverable; otherwise, who knows what the current state of affairs really is. If you use a smart phone the courts in several states say a warrant isn't needed to "examine" the phone. That is your email, phone book, GPS tracking data - EVERYTHING. Of course you could leave everything in the "Cloud" were it is safe. The govt. will NEVER check that.

LOL your funny. Just a few months ago "they" extended "their" powers to search any media device without a search warrant here in GA, the next scary part, it doesn't cover when. if you've had internet for 10 years, they can search all 10 years, not just a few months ago.

Ever since the internet was invented, "They" could jus go to your internet PROVIDER, by passing you entirely, ask, excuse me, DEMAND AOL, to tell them everything about you. what you saw, what you viewed, how many times you viewed, what you downloaded, what you printed, whats in your favorites file, who you emailed, regardless if you gave your permission or not when you signed up for AOL's service, or smart phone service.

prior to the patriot act, "they" were required to have a search warrant. not anymore with the PA II, and now the Homeland Security Act.

with alot of internet services "bundling" your phone, cellphone, TV, service, its just a few more mouse clicks to see how many tv's were on, what show's were on, and who you were chatting with about last sunday's nfl game, or which kid was playing Halo 3 in multiplayer mode on the game system. i heard from somewhere, there was a court case, where "they" used the defendants 3 year old computer history file, to assess if that person had the ability to accomplish such a task. sure, coupled with a search warrant, they also used all the book's he owned to establish what sort of educated character he was. which is totally wierd, "they" severed the cyber world from virtuall, even though you live in both.

for every 1 thing you can control on a computer, theres at least 10, that records what you did, and 5, that tell what you did, unbeknownist to you

you could try hiding, by getting a throw away laptop, and only going online at shared wi-fi points, such as coffee shops, and college's, but it'll still come back to a single IP address (home address for computers) tied directly to any registered product you bought, with a credit card, or use that computer in your home wifi, then that laptop will be tied to your social circle, once your social circles match, going to the same websites on different computers, or be found at the early start, when you bought all your parts seperately with cash, but used a savings reward card just once for a laptop carrying case.

instead of just using it to gather intel, it'd be awesome if they'd issue certificates and degrees, because you've read/saw so much info about a particular subject, but then, that would jus prove they were watching you, when they say they ain't

Edited by Crazy Rebel

Another thing that I do - once a year (usually around Jan,1) is to reformat the HD on my computer, and then reload the software that I use. That process usually takes about 4 hours but it keeps the clutter on the system to a minimum. (I discovered that this is a strategy that the VA uses while working with their Medical Media department to produce a video for Vets.)

Certainly, there is no way to be absolutely hidden online - even using proxy servers. However, every step that I take to hide information on my system is an additional step that someone else would have to take to find it. If there are files that I want to keep, I move them to an external HD and/or a jump drive and then keep these drives in a safe location.

Sorry boys and girls but if you really want to anonymous online its impossible but you can misdirect

first you need a used laptop computer with no hard drive but a working cd or dvd drive go into BIOS and set it

to boot from cd /dvd first

on another computer using winders download a few ISO images of versions of Linux here is a web site to find them https://www.linux.com/directory/Distributions/livecd

I like damn small linux or slax or knoppix or mint download the ISO and with a program like cdburnerxp which is free make the cd bootable and burn ISO to disk now you an operating system that has no hard drive yuse a pcmcia wireless card after all anyone can hack a wireless network so who's to say who was on your network ok now put the cd in the laptop boot it up and you have linux some distro's work on some coputers and some dont damn small linux seems to work well on most it takes a bit of learning and some times you have to get it to recognize the wireless card but once you got it going you can cruise the internet if you can operate it with out the battery on the plug in power if something happens pull the plug and TA DAAAA

nothing it saves nothing no tracks once the power is pulled all the info on the chips goes bye bye

by the way there is a file on winders that records every web site time date as long as the hard drive is working ever if breaks I can still get it to work so do not think you are safe not to mention there are 2 BIG places that watch every phone weather land line wireless cell radio cb ham fire police on and on even ils systems carrier signals piggy backing tv cable internet voip e-mail skype twitter facebook your tv is never really off unless you have an old one it can be used as a microphone glass can be lasered and pick up sound

if it can send or receive you can be found with or with out gps ever heard of triangulation used since the

1930's and now you have onstar and similar gps nav units have coding and this is what I know my info is 20 years out so what do ya think feel warm and cozy now ..........don't waste a lot of money on comm units

scramblers are useless someone has the key and it ain't me your better off with cans and a string

Another thing that I do - once a year (usually around Jan,1) is to reformat the HD on my computer, and then reload the software that I use. That process usually takes about 4 hours but it keeps the clutter on the system to a minimum. (I discovered that this is a strategy that the VA uses while working with their Medical Media department to produce a video for Vets.)

A good idea but a "format" usually only effects the 'FAT' (File Access Table) table, not what is on the drive. When I was with the Phoenix PD we often read disks that had been "formatted". Unless you wipe the drive using a 7 pass wipe as part of your format. Your data is still there. It may even be possible to recover files that are "under" newer files (much like restoring a painting that has been painted over). A format only keeps the operating system from reading a file in the normal course of things. The intelligence community does NOT operate in the normal course of things.

There is a few ways to make your online activity very secure but it gets to be a hassle.

Use a program like Eraser to preform multiple wipes on the hard drive over empty space.

Boot from a linux disc of your choice and spoof your mac address.

Use tor brows the internet via proxy so your ip address can't be seen.

Change your browser settings to delete cookies, history, etc. when closed

If you have anything you really don't want people getting into encrypt it with a program like True Crypt.

Connect to the internet from someone else's open wifi.

Don't use the same account names, passwords and email addresses because if they can be link together it's possible to find you threw what your not trying to hide.

Theres more you can do but again it's a hassle.

Buy a laptop cash from Craigslist. Make sure you don't use your email or cellphone to call the person (duh). Make sure you meet somewhere with no surveillance cameras. Then stick to using wifi in public places with multiple people connected. Again, no cameras. Using proxies helps.

If someone is methodical enough, one could avoid being tracked down. I don't think I'd ever do something where I would have to take that many precautions. It can be done though.

I prefer to sleep at night though.

Guest survival101

Oh, hail! Y'all give me conspiracy theory nightmares. Okay I know in my bones it's true. But I'm hiding here in plain sight. They can see frankly I'm not a threat. I'm only enough of a threat to myself, not anybody else. You military and LEO guys worry about yourselves. Teach me how. That's all I'm saying.

The only true way to stay hidden on the internet is to hide in plane sight! Establish a profile, an innocuous profile, and don't do anything different. EVER!

Not all that easy to do, especially in the credit card/on line buying age. It is also expensive since you can't use discount cards and your credit history is short so your credit score is low (WHO TOLD THESE SOB'S that they could STALK me and keep a data file on my spending WITHOUT my consent?:mad:). I hate this system but it is the world we have. "Visualizing" something different won't make it different and so we prep.