Sign in to follow this  
mr.smashy

What's in Your Pockets?

Well im in the UK so my EDC is quite different.

I got my phone, wallet with the obligatory plastic. Car keys, house keys with victorianox spartan pen knife and AAA mini maglight attached. Disposible lighter and an assortment of small change.

UK law prohibits the carrying of any knife over about 3" that has a fixed or lockable blade, without good cause. So even having one in a get home bag wouldnt be allowed. Though having it in a BOB would be ok.

And the firearm laws are very stringent, so no hand guns at all.

While traveling I would have a mans pair of silk socks mid calf put one inside the other

and carry a roll of coins and a few loose ones slip knot on the end stuffed in the front shirt pocket

or a neckerchief folded in half at an angle with the roll

of coins in the center then roll it up tie the ends and put it over your head knot below your neck and

the roll coins at the back of your neck under your collar.

at the sign of trouble you grab the knot slipping it over your head and swing it down on your opponent.

A navy black jack.

screen door spring from the hardware store about 1/2 meter long rolled up in a pocket.

chain with a pad lock {for your bicycle if asked}

drinking straw with toilet paper as plugs and ground hot pepper inside blow it at assailants face.

extendable pocket pointer when extended it is like a foil / rapier

solid car antenna bent on the end for a hook over your belt slide down inside your pants on the side of

your leg hook over belt.

surgical rubber tubing with a ball bearing or in the case of metal detectors a lead ball

slipped into the end techniques are involved here.

walking stick

fingernail file or a Bic pen white barrel type flexible and pointy

umbrella very useful in the U.K. learn some techniques to make it an Offensive Weapon.

but you need a good quality umbrella cheap ones will not hold up in self defense.

there are to many to list more severe but it gives you an Idea just learn to turn the innocuous

into something interesting.

It is not the size it is very much about techniques

{ I am starting to think this is another conversation}

slashing and maneuvering {still not sure}

always staying at an angle to your opponent it is a hobby for the young as a lot of bending sliding twisting are part of the repertoire

{ I am really trying to stay on topic}.

some of these will not beat the scrutiny of the powers that be but in a bad situation will get you by and then you disassemble and dump them.

Edited by juzcallmesnake

Since I'm retired to my retreat, I don't load up my pockets much anymore. I always have a knife, a lighter and cordage on me. My current favorite usually carry knife is a ToolLogic folder, with a ferro rod and flashlight. I have a paracord lanyard on it, and it has a tiny whistle built in to the end.

The lighter is a Bic-type, except it's refillable, and has a small led light in the butt end.

When I go out, I usually, in addition to the above, have:

- a Gerber multitool in a sheath;

- handkechief;

- bandana;

- paracord bracelet;

- wallet and badge holder;

- 5 dollar coins;

- 1911 OM, with 1-2 extra mags.

The wallet has a fresnel lens in a credit card slot. Both the wallet and badge holder have hideout cash.

Like the Cap'n says, it's not paranoia if they are after you.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]242[/ATTACH]

I have my folding knife

My DogTags

My wallet

My Swiss Army Knife

My 8GB flashdrive with a case

My bandanna

An extra chain

Leather Pouch

And a 223. Bullet pendant

By Christmas i'll have a much better folding knife, a para cord bracelet, and hopefully a light

Edited by American Rogue
mistake

If you only have zip ties. Do behind the back and the feet,than togeather.Yes sir, use 3 at a time in a situation that you must restrain someone..ok so they be uncomfortable,least of my conserns..so make them tight and bend the legs at the knees as much as possible..if some how they do get out they cant run..

Here's the crap in my pockets...

post-1331-13851497683726_thumb.jpg

Self Made Bracelet

Cheap Columbia wallet

iPhone 4S

Basic lighter

Suunto Core watch

4Sevens Preon II pen light

Boker Plus carbon fiber knife

WileyX Slay sunglasses

Keychain with Fenix E15 light, Leatherman Squirt and some carabiners and paracord

Normally have a whistle on my keychain, but took it off last time I went out cause it makes too much damn noise in my pocket, lol stupid metal whistles.

Edited by Jace

I carry nothing in my pockets, it's all in my purse. Hope that counts, as I'm never without my purse.

Coin pocket with a few $ and an ID/cc card holder

Keys with LED flashlight

Smart phone

Leatherman

mini multi tool w/scissors, tweezers, other personal care things?

3" gerber lockblade knife

magnesium and flint block

pencil, pen, eyedrops, lipbalm, paper napkins, small plastic bag, tire gauge, and small note pad

I know i could do better, and this is a great thread to help fill in the gaps.

I carry nothing in my pockets, it's all in my purse. Hope that counts, as I'm never without my purse.

Coin pocket with a few $ and an ID/cc card holder

Keys with LED flashlight

Smart phone

Leatherman

mini multi tool w/scissors, tweezers, other personal care things?

3" gerber lockblade knife

magnesium and flint block

pencil, pen, eyedrops, lipbalm, paper napkins, small plastic bag, tire gauge, and small note pad

I know i could do better, and this is a great thread to help fill in the gaps.

Disposable lighter is nice in a stressful situation. But yeah looks good just don't let your purse get snatched.

Very good list and yes it is fine that it is in your purse but I do agree with auto that if your purse gets snatched, or lost or unable to get to it then none of it is useful. Definitly add a lighter, cheap, quick to use. the fire strikers and mag bars should be a last resort after a lighter. I'm surprised at how many people don't list lighters with those other fire startig utensils...

Our laws on carrying knives/guns here in New Zealand are pretty harsh, so I've got to be pretty grey about it, and this is what I've whittled it down to through trial and error (I want to change the knife though)...

In my pockets: post-1282-1385149773824_thumb.jpg

Gerber Paraframe

LED Lensor P3

Samsung Galaxy Mini smartphone

Keys with mini Victorinox Classic, whistle and bottle opener (essential for us Kiwis!)

Wallet

I cycle to work, so keep a small first aid kit (bandages, band-aids, sterile whipes, strapping tape, fire steel) in my backpack. Also always have a Nalgene 1L bottle in my bag for use at work etc. I also wear a Suunto M2 watch with a spare battery (Suunto watches = user replaceable batteries).

No doubt you've heard of it, but if not, check out www.everyday-carry.com ...it's a cool blog and may give those deciding on what to carry some ideas.

Edited by rb_akl

It's a cool wee knife - have only had to sharpen it once in the 5 years I've had it, and it gets used almost everyday. I purchased the Gerber Ripstop II the other day - big mistake. Locking mechanism was busted out of the box. My replacement had the same problem. Has Gerber slipped down a few rungs on the quality ladder?

I feel in some areas Gerber has slipped, like with the Bear Grylls seris. I'm just glad I got my LMFII back when they were still making them in Oregon. Its because of this I stick with the paraframe. As of right I don't care about trying anything new from them.

Our laws on carrying knives/guns here in New Zealand are pretty harsh, so I've got to be pretty grey about it, and this is what I've whittled it down to through trial and error (I want to change the knife though)...

In my pockets: [ATTACH=CONFIG]363[/ATTACH]

Gerber Paraframe

LED Lensor P3

Samsung Galaxy Mini smartphone

Keys with mini Victorinox Classic, whistle and bottle opener (essential for us Kiwis!)

Wallet

I cycle to work, so keep a small first aid kit (bandages, band-aids, sterile whipes, strapping tape, fire steel) in my backpack. Also always have a Nalgene 1L bottle in my bag for use at work etc. I also wear a Suunto M2 watch with a spare battery (Suunto watches = user replaceable batteries).

No doubt you've heard of it, but if not, check out www.everyday-carry.com ...it's a cool blog and may give those deciding on what to carry some ideas.

Welcome to the site, sir. It is a good mix. A lot of folks miss the value of the whistle. While I agree about the necessity of a bottle opener, I would recommend a can opener as well. My Swiss army knife has one (the Classic doesn't appear to) and I carry a couple of P-38 style openers (one left over from Viet Nam) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P-38_can_opener

from C ration kits. Small, flat, sharp and a good thing to have if you need to open a can of food without electricity. Easily found on-line for a couple of bucks.

yes capt! definitly a whistle! while it seems very minor and insignificant. Think about it for a minute. If you are in a survival situation you are probably exhausted, sick or out of breath at the moment you need to be heard. It takes far less air to blow a whislte than it does to yell "over here"! at the top of your lungs, plus the high pitch will carrying further and better if the weather is bad.

I was watching a recording of the Japanese tsunami the other day and it started me thinking again. One of the survivors was an older lady (80-ish I think) who, as soon as the shaking stopped, got on her bike and literally rode for the hills. Didn't go home for anything - just took the advice the marshal gave the little shepherd boy and got the 'flock' out of Dodge. She was one of the few survivors of her village as the wave hit less than 15 minutes later. If she'd gone home ........

What's in your pockets is for that scenario. This lady had nothing but her bike and her life. Even "safe" in my home there might be something that makes me run NOW!. During our wildfires this fall, some folks literally had less than 5 minutes to get out and a few didn't make it. The moral is your EDC is your last ditch, all you're going to have, gear to save your life and the lives of your family. Remember, if you don't have it on you - YOU DO NOT HAVE IT! Choose with care; your life may depend on it.

I was watching a recording of the Japanese tsunami the other day and it started me thinking again. One of the survivors was an older lady (80-ish I think) who, as soon as the shaking stopped, got on her bike and literally rode for the hills. Didn't go home for anything - just took the advice the marshal gave the little shepherd boy and got the 'flock' out of Dodge. She was one of the few survivors of her village as the wave hit less than 15 minutes later. If she'd gone home ........

What's in your pockets is for that scenario. This lady had nothing but her bike and her life. Even "safe" in my home there might be something that makes me run NOW!. During our wildfires this fall, some folks literally had less than 5 minutes to get out and a few didn't make it. The moral is your EDC is your last ditch, all you're going to have, gear to save your life and the lives of your family. Remember, if you don't have it on you - YOU DO NOT HAVE IT! Choose with care; your life may depend on it.

Thanks capt for this, it makes me rethink my EDC. While I have a few things on me I definitly have room for more important things that I should have on me. Stories like this are a wake up call, take heed

I have my wallet, car keys, cell phone, Harbor Freight LED flashlight, comb, and pocket knife.

Saw a TV special "101 Greatest Inventions" or some such. One of the top 25 (don't remember exact number) was the flashlight. They had a short interview with a guy who'd been in the world trade center on 9/11. The dust and smoke was so thick (in a floor just below the crash zone) that they couldn't find their way out. He had a Mag-lite (I love that company and have several) on him; used it to find the wall, used the wall to find the exit and led a group of 30-something out of the building. That one, EDC mag-lite saved over 30 lives that day. I have three flashlights on me at my desk right down and two more in my BOB in the truck. Lights and sharp edges have saved many a life.