Sign in to follow this  
mr.smashy

What's in Your Pockets?

For those that are interested, ITS did a video on picking handcuffs that is pretty good too:

Also, for those who wish to hide handcuff keys and handcuff shims, check out www.serepick.com. Some items are restricted to mil/LEO, but they have some interesting stuff in general, and if you have the credentials, the polymer handcuff keys would make a great addition to EDC.

Mr. Smashy,

Thanks for the link. That is interesting and not something I'd seen before. Double ties behind the back are what I always was taught to use; it might be a little more difficult, maybe not. Still it proves that just because someone is "restrained" doesn't mean you don't have to watch them.

“Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud, and the rifle is the queen of personal weapons.”

— LTC Jeff Cooper

I always did like the good LTC. I am amazed at the shocked reaction so many folks have when I point out to them that without weapons, human beings are NOT the top of the food chain! Of course, arguably, the viruses are but I'm a physicist, not a biologist.

Just make sure you have someone there with you while you attempt to get out of zip ties cuffed behind your back in case you fail... learned that one the hard way...

LOL!!!! Thanks for the great mental picture on that one:D

This is one of the best threads I have come across yet....I am happy to see that there is like minded individuals like me out there....I most whole heartley agree with EmorySr on the 5.11 tactical wear...the concealment vest are great...I own (2) one green and one black.....the only kind of paints you will find in hanging in my closet and packed in my BOB are the 5.11 tactical paints as stated before so many handy pockets and even a extra mag holder also. I never leave home without my vest eaither on me or laying in the cab of my Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab. I work as a Armed Security Officer in a Federal Building and carry Sig P229 with 40 rounds of 128 grain hollow points along with all the other goodies (Galls Flash Light, Smith and Wesson Handcuff's, Street Tough Baton and company cell phone. But you will always fing my tactical vest in the truck and long with my Ruger P95 9mm and modified 12ga Winchester Defender....but after reading this thread I am going to re-stock my vest...because you guy's have it going on.

I'll have to take a picture when I get home but:

At Work:

Droid phone

Wallet (as others mentioned, mostly empty...I think there's $1 in there lol)

Car keys (on a carabiner, also has an AR front sight adjustment tool)

Casio Pathfinder watch

Paracord braclet

Leatherman Wave

Surefire Lumamax LX2

Not at work:

Everything above plus

Sig P229 E2 w a spare mag

When I'm

I work as a Armed Security Officer in a Federal Building and carry Sig P229 with 40 rounds of 128 grain hollow points along with all the other goodies (Galls Flash Light, Smith and Wesson Handcuff's, Street Tough Baton and company cell phone. But you will always fing my tactical vest in the truck and long with my Ruger P95 9mm and modified 12ga Winchester Defender....but after reading this thread I am going to re-stock my vest...because you guy's have it going on.

Just curious - care to share the specifics on your 9mm ammo? Just wondering what you use. I'm a bit of a fan of Hornady but there is plenty of good pistol fodder out there.

Wallet with little or no money (I'm married, haha)

Keys with LED flashlight

Gerber "Bear Grills" Scout knife)

Casio G'zOne Mil spec phone

Gerber 600 Multi tool

Also carry High Standard Derringer in .22 Mag when appropriate (not at work, federal buildings, schools, airports, etc)

Oh, and Bart. Just for the record, I carry Speer Gold Dots in my 9.

DSC01177.jpg

wallet with 2 bobby pins at each end of the bill section for that neat handcuff trick mr.smashy shared or when my girlfriend demands bobby pins(more common), sog flash, cell phone, paracord bracelet, lighter, keys with Gerber shard and handcuff key. The hand cuff key gets me in trouble every time I have to go to to the courthouse though so it might move off my key chain.

I find it interesting that so few carry whistles. For me that whistle, compass, magnifying glass, mirror combination is a great little tool. I can puff on that thing long after my voice would have given out, start a fire with the glass, signal with the small mirror and all in the space of a Bic lighter.

Just my not so humble opinion.

I find it interesting that so few carry whistles. For me that whistle, compass, magnifying glass, mirror combination is a great little tool. I can puff on that thing long after my voice would have given out, start a fire with the glass, signal with the small mirror and all in the space of a Bic lighter.

Just my not so humble opinion.

Not a bad idea. Just kinda bulky for my keychain. I'll have to look for a small one.

Just curious - care to share the specifics on your 9mm ammo? Just wondering what you use. I'm a bit of a fan of Hornady but there is plenty of good pistol fodder out there.

147g Winchester Ranger Talons

winchester_ranger_t2.jpg

I got mine in Academy for about $7.

http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_74943_-1?Ntt=whistle&Ntk=All

mine was black not white but same basic deal.

There also appears to be one in

http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_74954_-1?ICID=CRT:0249-01502-4052

which is bulkier but has a MUCH better compass.

what is a decent option in a home defense situation where the bad guy is down but not out for the count....

Several years ago when my wife and I took our CCW classes to get our license, the State Policeman who was doing the training emphasized a point - "If you shoot a home invader, make damn sure he's dead. Shoot, and continue shooting until you know for certain that the threat is neutralized. That way there's only one side of the story and you're not going to get sued a year from then by the invader because he is suffeing permanent injury." That was the advice of the State Police.

Edited by LivingGray
complete a thought

well i do not use my pockets I have a camera type vest

cell phone

Colt detective 38 spl hydro shocks

2 safari land speed strips full of hydro shocks

pair of leather gloves

6 foot of para cord with flat whistle to call the dogs back

cheap zipper tab temp gauge with ok compass

BIC lighter does pocket lint count as fire starter????

smith & wesson assisted opener about 3 1/2 inch blade 1/2 serrated edge

Swiss army knife the champ model

medium size multi tool on my key chain and a micro led flashlight carabiner

medications allergy aspirin pain rolaids

some band aids small pen style hand sanitizer

16 gig flash drive with all my crap encrypted on it

and a bandanna

and I do not go where my stuff is restricted if at all possible

I never want to see another airport ships dock heilo pad cab or jeepnee

trike stand bus or travel outside the state

no more mystery meat on a stick or chickens feet of all the things to eat

a preachers nose has more meat than a foot fish eyeballs floating in my

soup frozen dried yogurt looks like gravel pickled things dried turds bugs

who knows 3 1/2 times around the world it was fun BUT I am soooo done I know there are people who have traveled much more but that's all I want.

Edited by juzcallmesnake

Several years ago when my wife and I took our CCW classes to get our license, the State Policeman who was doing the training emphasized a point - "If you shoot a home invader, make damn sure he's dead. Shoot, and continue shooting until you know for certain that the threat is neutralized. That way there's only one side of the story and you're not going to get sued a year from then by the invader because he is suffeing permanent injury." That was the advice of the State Police.

Unfortunately, that can get you jail time. In today's environment, a civilian must never shoot to kill - you shoot to STOP the threat. As long as there is a gun in the BG's hand he is a threat. As long as he is standing, he is a threat. If he is down and you shoot again, it is likely murder. A pharmacist in Oklahoma is serving a life in prison sentence for murder - his store surveillance video convicted him.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1392546/Self-defence-murder-Outrage-pharmacist-shot-16-year-old-trying-rob-shop-gets-life-sentence.html

I can give a ton of reasons as to why you might do what he did under stress but it is murder according to the law and you NEVER know when the neighbor's or bank's security camera may have tape of you shooting. I've been told by LEO the same thing and it is BAD advice. The LEO who told you that is not the DA and may not be the LEO that responds to your shooting.

As to what to do if the BG is down: if he is still a threat, he is not 'STOPPED' so you keep firing. If he is, in your judgement (and your judgement is all that counts at that second - just don't talk to the LEOs without your lawyer there; seriously - the responding LEOs may well be on your side but you NEED your lawyer), stopped then you have accomplished your mission. At that point, cease firing, threat scan, call 911. If you have someone who can cover your back AND you are able to render effective first aid, place your firearms in a safe (as in well out of reach of the BG - you don't want to provide arms to the BG and he could take yours away from you) place and go forward to render aid, always staying out of the line of fire of your backup. I don't recommend this, by the way. 911 response times are good and I don't want my wife to have to make a killing shot because the BG was faking.

Since I doubt my ability to be of much help medically, I will keep the BG covered and await the arrival of professional help. The BG may not be alone, he may be faking, or he may be dying. If he is dying it is his fault since he put you in the position of having to defend yourself. Whatever you don't, DO NOT SHOOT TO KILL. You, as a civilian, shoot to stop the situation, to defend yourself or others but you are only stopping the threat. Anything else may mean serious jail time.

Unfortunately, that can get you jail time. In today's environment, a civilian must never shoot to kill - you shoot to STOP the threat.

Capt. Do you know if that varies by State. Here in Mich. a little over a year ago, a guy was filling his car at a gas station and when he pulled out his credit card to "pay at the pump", the person at the opposite side of the pump that he was at grabbed the lid from the garbage can between them and then raised it and attacked. That guy pulled out a gun and shot and killed the attacker. It was self-defence - no charges were lodged against him.

Also, in Kalamazoo a shop keeper was spending the night in his store because his store had been robbed several times. During the night, someone broke in. The shop keeper shot and killed the intruder. Again, it was deemed to be self-defence - no charges were filed.

The Castle Law here is very specific in giving a homeowner the right to use lethal force to defend against intruders.

That law must vary by State and perhaps why the State Police advised as he did.

Edited by LivingGray

It does vary by state and some state's castle doctrines are fairly open to the use of deadly force. The key is the "intent" to kill. Morally and legally there is a difference between the use of deadly force to defend myself in which the bad guy dies and firing that extra shot to make sure he's dead. In Texas (I'm not a lawyer, that's why I have Texas Law Shield on retainer - they can talk to the LEO so I don't say something stupid) if you had sufficient cause to draw your weapon, you have sufficient cause to use your weapon. If you fire and the BG dies, that is his problem UNLESS the threat is neutralized and it seems you just wanted to kill so you fired an "insurance" shot. Even if there is no criminal case, you might still face a civil case (Yes, I know he was on drugs and had kicked in your front door screaming that he was going to kill everyone and had already fired 3 rounds but did you HAVE to kill little Johnny? He was so misunderstood, don't you know) that could cost you a fortune. What you say and what you know (before the event) can make all the difference.

For instance, if I know that a BG can cover about 21 feet in the time it takes to recognize the threat, decide on an action, draw AND put a firearm into play (before a shooting and yes, he can do that) then that goes to my perception of lethal threat. If I learn it after the shooting, it doesn't count for my defense. Part of the reason for choosing the local LEO's caliber/round is that if you're using what they use it is much tougher for a DA to charge you with choosing a "man killer" round. I might THINK he should die but I will never write or say so. That becomes premeditation. I HATE this culture that pities the "poor" punk but I recognize the risk.

While I have a great deal of respect for most LEOs and I recognize much of what they deal with (I worked for the Phoenix PD for 5 years), talk to a lawyer from your state, with attorney/client privilege (means you pay him and he can't testify about what you say) before hand to get a feel for your state. Here in Houston, we almost had a man go to prison for shooting a BG. The BG cut him off on the freeway so he followed the BG. After the stop and confrontation he told the LEO the "I feared for my life" story. The DA wanted to know if you were afraid, why did you follow and filed charges claiming the "stand your ground" rules don't apply if you chase the BG.

Always remember, the use of lethal force is NOT the same thing as killing. I use lethal force and aim center mass because I am defending in the best way I can. If the bad guy dies during my attempt to stop him from harming me or others, that is his choice. I didn't want to kill him, I wanted to stop him. If it even appears to be anything else, you could be in for a very expensive legal fight.

wow, you guys have lots of stuff in your pockets.. i was going to post a pick of my emptied pockets, but i changed my mind after seeing the mass amounts of stuff you all carry every day

What is fascinating to me is how often I use what I have. I was in the mailbox store and the lady behind the counter told a customer who needed a knife to borrow mine. I ask her how she knew I had a knife and she said "because you're you". So much for being gray I guess. Still last night our dog got out as we came home so off into the green belt using the flashlight in my pocket. Had a guy at work trying to order a new key for his desk so the magnifying glass on the whistle was used to read the lock number. Swiss Army knife and Leatherman tool too often to remember. I just started noticing when I needed something I didn't have so I started carrying it. Of course, I don't have any pants without pockets and I often wear a vest. Now that it is getting cooler, my flask has gone back into my jacket for "just in case".B)

Just think about what you've needed or may need and add those things. Fire, sharp edge, light. Those are probably the most critical. Then firearm if you have one and can carry. Just a start - oh, the whistle for signalling - I don't want to be trapped in a building and not found because I've lost my voice. With at whistle, if I can breath I can call for help. If I can't breath, well it's not so much of an issue.

Don't have access to a camera right now but this is my list.

5 inch Gerber paraframe folding knife.

SOG multitool,

Rayovac roughneck 200 lumen flashlight with an extra set of batteries.

a fire striker

lighter ( one of the only perks of being a smoker, no shortage of lighters around me)

50' of black paracord

Magnifying glass (credit card stlye)

a couple of safety pins

many years ago I carried a Beretta model 21

It is the best of the best of pocket arms.

now they make a bobcat stainless steel double action.

7 shot mag and can shoot stingers.

natural designed safety flips down not up.

tip up barrel for safe loading and unloading pretty accurate light

and most defense situations happen within 10 feet I thought it was perfect

and still would had I not got trade happy I regret it now.

and here is where I know I will get some flack it's a 22 long rifle.

I thought I addressed this issue on another thread but here it goes.

the groin is where a 22 should be aimed no con wants to be neutered and survive.

also the belly area is very sensitive and has numerous arteries.

a psychological method of intimidation but I have seen it,

when other methods did not, in fact it seemed to provoke a suicide by cop

situation, but one guy decided he was going to play a mind game on this

con and flat told him he was going to be turned in to a female while pointing at his groin.

the look on the cons face changed dramatically and he gave it up.

something that is uncomfortable or heavy you will eventually get lazy,

like going to get the mail or watering the grass or answer the door

and will not have it when you need it.

For the lady that does not want to carry a cannon or boat anchor,

or as a backup I do not think you could go wrong with this one.

Well im in the UK so my EDC is quite different.

I got my phone, wallet with the obligatory plastic. Car keys, house keys with victorianox spartan pen knife and AAA mini maglight attached. Disposible lighter and an assortment of small change.

UK law prohibits the carrying of any knife over about 3" that has a fixed or lockable blade, without good cause. So even having one in a get home bag wouldnt be allowed. Though having it in a BOB would be ok.

And the firearm laws are very stringent, so no hand guns at all.