Sign in to follow this  
readytogo1955

City Violence/Crime Prevention

Sometimes you just need to get out of Dodge though. Last time I was jumped I was in Hawaii on vacation in the town of Hilo just minding my own business walking back from seeing a water fall. Would have never imagined any trouble in such a lovely place.

Suddenly a punk grabs my shoulder from behind and wips me around, screaming "COME ON!" He wants to brawl but at least he didn't sucker punch me. Many "locals" really dislike Whites even though none of them are more than 1/16 Hawaiian themselves. It was quite a surprise how rudely some of the lochs treated me, even some state park employees, but that's another story....

Okay, so Mr. Islander is shorter than me with a fast-food physique. I'm more worried about what to do with my expensive sunglasses than taking out this bozo, when this beaten up old Camaro roars up out of nowhere and four six-by-six locals step out! I just ran.

Called the cops, the LEO was also a "local" and just brushed off my experience as nothing, said he'd speak to them. Come to find out from the Tourist board that another (White) tourist guy got beaten so badly in the very same area 2 weeks earlier, he died during reconstructive surgery.....I hit a market and picked up child's aluminum bat, greased the end of it and put a bag over it in case the "gentleman" I might swing it at tries to grab it on the way to his skull.....

Had no more nasty experience like that one the rest of the trip, but it certainly taught me a good lesson about situational awareness and my lack of preparedness. Been back to Hawaii since but now I know what to expect, lovely place, would not want to live there.

Ulf

so you actually went back? to a place where you feel it's necessary to carry a bat? to a hostile environment where multiple and unrelated individuals threatened you? to a lawless and racist community where police officers are biased and don't protect tourists?

getting out of Dodge sounds smart.... going back to Dodge sounds stupid.

"rude" Hawaiian locals.... comin from the french guy... classic.

i've seen localism on the islands since i was a kid. it does exist. and i'm sorry you experienced that. however, if you were treated poorly on a regular basis during your visit, i would say you need to learn local customs and traditions because you were probably offending people everywhere you went. my father was Army and i've had the opportunity to travel around the world. practice and respect of local custom is a basic way of avoiding bad situations. and the Hawaiian people are some of the most loving and generous people left on this planet. our Aloha spirit is the source of our greatest strength but probably our greatest downfall since being pimped out by tourism.

... i'm a little disappointed that was my first post. hahaa!

sorry fellas. those comments just irked me somethin fierce. i really enjoy the forum. i've learned alot in the past 4 months. and my preps are better for it.

so thank you all. even to Dangerwolfe. i've taken something valuable from everyone. i look forward to contributing something valuable in the future.