Sign in to follow this  
readytogo1955

City Violence/Crime Prevention

We are all aware of the gang related violence in our cities,so far it has been gang vs gang

their turf,a bystander always gets hurt,the economy has force police layoffs,etc.

We have seen the acts of lawlessness in some cities,acts of violance at the drop of a hat,for whatever reason,or excuse.By the time law arrives, it may be to late for some.

We as citizens have the right to protect ourselfs and family and does in danger,but are we ready?.

Is your neigborhood protected by a wacth group,how about your building,rear door of building,your home,comming home from work you encounter a riot,angry mob,while at work

are your love ones at home ready to protect themself,any type of training that they may have,weapons,etc.My wife says that I`m always looking for trouble,vs, I`m always looking to avoid it,that I`m still in military mode,well so far it has served me good.I`m always preaching safety and pointing faults for lack of safety,anything that is out of place,is suspicious to me,a noise in the night,is not suposed to be,etc.

So, are we missing something,or I`m just a paronoid schizo?.

its not paranoia if they really are out to get you...:P

its okay to be aware of whats happening around you but sometimes you can take it a bit to far if your not careful just remember your in control of you and you only. just let your wife know your just looking out for her and the family cause anything could happen at anytime esp. in this day and age.

Ready,

I'm in 'military mode' as well because it is combat out there! An elderly couple (about my age actually - ouch!) was attacked unloading groceries in their own garage. There is a reason I'm never 'not armed'. He may not make it; stabbed multiple times.

Just let your lady know you are protecting your family - the only question is whether or not you personally survive the encounter. It is why my lady never objects to my carrying concealed. For reasons I don't understand she wants to keep me around. She carries to guard my back.

It took a while for this to occur - a few cases where my paranoia proved true were the clincher. The problem for us is, the case where our paranoia actually prevents an incident, we never know what did not happen.

Ready,

I'm in 'military mode' as well because it is combat out there! An elderly couple (about my age actually - ouch!) was attacked unloading groceries in their own garage. There is a reason I'm never 'not armed'. He may not make it; stabbed multiple times.

Just let your lady know you are protecting your family - the only question is whether or not you personally survive the encounter. It is why my lady never objects to my carrying concealed. For reasons I don't understand she wants to keep me around. She carries to guard my back.

It took a while for this to occur - a few cases where my paranoia proved true were the clincher. The problem for us is, the case where our paranoia actually prevents an incident, we never know what did not happen.

ya think maybe she keeps you around caus on a not-so subconscience level she feels safe with you ?

I live in a fairly small town, around 13,000 people. As of right now we have a high crime rate and armed robbery and home invasions are happening more often. People come here for one main reason, we are known as a welfare town. There are a lot of people hanging around with nothing to do.

This town and area is a left leaning liberal type.

My wife and I walk a few miles everyday and I always carry now, but in this state and area I would almost be afraid to use it if I had too. For those of you living in free states count your blessings!

My neighborhood is pretty much a goner, it's already every man for himself. Being solo is a double edged sword, I don't have to worry about anyone else but at the same time there is nobody covering my six. Security and situational awareness is a constant.

It's a sad state of affairs it it has always been this way it just used to be rare now it is more in your face

and everyday.

If you do not use the eyes in the back of your head your asking for it. even in daylight snatch and grab

are more common and to assure escape they whack you over the head first.

there are so many ways for criminals to line you up for the taking so reading local accounts and

news and try to discern how the actors made their decision and how to make their mark

helps you to have a defense.

never answer the door by sound {voice alone} always verify that no one is with them and be quiet

theres no reason to let anyone know your there some times I park on the other street and come in the back

my gates have a pad lock, fake and real cameras as well as motion sensor lights.

my car port is open on all sides so I can see around me if it did not I would go in the garage put the car in reverse and close the door and until it was shut stay in the vehicle ready to stomp on it a cheap full length mirror on the wall in front of you so you can see around your vehicle.

all my bushes are short and have thorns.

there are personal alarms that cost about 10 bucks that have a pull cord actuator and some are to hang on

a door knob these are great for when you are not at home or for exterior buildings driveway sensors

and other noise or warning devices are cheap and scare the snot out of BG as they are not looking for or seeing these.

women should consider the pull alarms as the type of person that targets women have a cowards mentality

and any attention panics them.

I like a rod but some women feel uncomfortable carrying one and lets face it having to deal with the law in some states makes it impractical to shoot everyone that pisses you off.

Always care a throw away knife.....that way if you cap a creep you can do what the LEOs do ....leave a going away present. Just be sure your prints arn't on it. Lots easier to only have one version of the event at the grand jury hearing. I remember an incident many years ago ...after the smoke cleared one creep had three knives with him....interesting thing all were open.

Always care a throw away knife.....that way if you cap a creep you can do what the LEOs do ....leave a going away present. Just be sure your prints arn't on it. Lots easier to only have one version of the event at the grand jury hearing. I remember an incident many years ago ...after the smoke cleared one creep had three knives with him....interesting thing all were open.

Are you really trying to go to prison? Do you really believe that old wives tale? A good evidence tech. could break your story down in a few hours. Never, never, never try to plant evidence. Even if you are an experienced evidence tech. there is always a better one out there who can break down your story. I have seen some people try that ploy before and they are not in prison for tampering with evidence. There is so much that you do not know about working a crime scene. Do your self a favor and never try something that stupid.

Are you really trying to go to prison? Do you really believe that old wives tale? A good evidence tech. could break your story down in a few hours. Never, never, never try to plant evidence. Even if you are an experienced evidence tech. there is always a better one out there who can break down your story. I have seen some people try that ploy before and they are not in prison for tampering with evidence. There is so much that you do not know about working a crime scene. Do your self a favor and never try something that stupid.

Vis,

you beat me to it. IF you drop a throwaway ANYTHING, you have just changed a righteous shoot into a felony! DO NOT PLANT EVIDENCE - EVER! Put a gun rights lawyer on retainer, keep him there and tell any officer that you are only talking through your lawyer. I use Texas Law Shield, cost about as much as a couple of boxes of high end ammo every year, but I have a card in my wallet that says basically 'my lawyer says you can't talk to me until he gets here'. You get caught planting evidence and you will go to jail for that AND it may cast doubt on the righteousness of your shoot.

We do NOT advocate committing a crime, ever.

Capt., is that a national outfit or Texas only?

There is a organization USCCA they give you legal and liability insurance with your membership. I am really thinking of joining for this fact

http://www.economicvoice.com/st-louis-war-games-prompt-martial-law-preparation-concerns/50030391#axzz1zEHYU3XU

http://originalscientist.blogspot.com/2012/06/us-military-trains-for-martial-law-in.html

Saw 25 or so APVs sitting at airport in air reserve lot along with several medical humvees and was curious as to the need .....truly gave me goosebumps at first

http://www.economicvoice.com/st-louis-war-games-prompt-martial-law-preparation-concerns/50030391#axzz1zEHYU3XU

http://originalscientist.blogspot.com/2012/06/us-military-trains-for-martial-law-in.html

Saw 25 or so APVs sitting at airport in air reserve lot along with several medical humvees and was curious as to the need .....truly gave me goosebumps at first

just another chess piece moving on the board :(

Vis 9 & Capt Bart .....we discuss reality on this site ....What I relate is to the best of my knowledge .... whether I personally would do or condone an action is for me to decide just as you would do what you must if in a situation that required a choice that would affect you and yours. If you think that what I posted is a old wives tale perhaps you would be interested in checking this out.......

http://www.guns.com/throw-away-weapons-a-cop-insurance-policy-or-an-abuse-of-power-1015.html

You ever wonder why the lady wears a blindfold?

Vis 9 & Capt Bart .....we discuss reality on this site ....What I relate is to the best of my knowledge .... whether I personally would do or condone an action is for me to decide just as you would do what you must if in a situation that required a choice that would affect you and yours. If you think that what I posted is a old wives tale perhaps you would be interested in checking this out.......

http://www.guns.com/throw-away-weapons-a-cop-insurance-policy-or-an-abuse-of-power-1015.html

You ever wonder why the lady wears a blindfold?

OK, Parsman, I understand but let me make it completely clear. To advocate breaking the law in a forum such as this could (in today's environment most likely would) be construed to be a conspiracy to commit a crime. At least a few of our members are military, LEO, or have security clearances. Reality is that this site does not condone or promote illegal activity. IF the rule of law goes away (WROL - Without Rule of Law) many things may be accepted such as the Vigilance Committees of the old west. If or until that day comes, breaking the law is NOT acceptable behavior and will inevitably reduce your chances of survival since you can't prep from a jail cell. What someone may or may not have gotten away with is not the issue. The issue is respecting the rule of law as long as it exists. Your post

Cover your A

appears to indicate and advocate an illegal activity. Such activity will get you arrested and jailed. Perhaps LEO get away with it in some jurisdictions. In others (Phoenix PD while I was there) those caught went to prison.

We do not advocate breaking existing law as long as law enforcement is active. Please respect those ground rules. Thank you.

Edited by Capt Bart

Hi Readytogo,

No, I don't think you're schitzo at all. I rode the Paris Metro to CDG airport 1.5 hours each way for 6 years, often coming home after 10 pm from a late flight. The train passed through some of the worst ghettos imaginable with plenty of thugs at the stations and riding on board. Oftentimes I was and still am the only European in my car....

Here's just a sample of what goes on in the City of Paris today (kill the sound, the music is annoying):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLUM3g1AjwM&feature=related

In an urban setting situational awareness is really your best defense, you don't need to be paranoid but just think ahead an plan out a course of action in case something goes down. Secondly, I strongly recommend carrying and learning how to use a steel tipped extendable baton. This weapon is perfectly adequate to "discourage" the overwhelming number of idiots without escalating the situ and getting you on front page news, but you need to practice with it.

The problem as I see it is that too many innocent victims are simply too afraid to aggressively "discourage" attacks/crime, so the criminals only get more brazen. Most of these "bad guys" are just cowards and punks. Resist, fight back and they usually scatter. I faced down 3 of them that took my kids bike not too long ago.....of course, I was completely un-armed.

Sometimes you just need to get out of Dodge though. Last time I was jumped I was in Hawaii on vacation in the town of Hilo just minding my own business walking back from seeing a water fall. Would have never imagined any trouble in such a lovely place.

Suddenly a punk grabs my shoulder from behind and wips me around, screaming "COME ON!" He wants to brawl but at least he didn't sucker punch me. Many "locals" really dislike Whites even though none of them are more than 1/16 Hawaiian themselves. It was quite a surprise how rudely some of the lochs treated me, even some state park employees, but that's another story....

Okay, so Mr. Islander is shorter than me with a fast-food physique. I'm more worried about what to do with my expensive sunglasses than taking out this bozo, when this beaten up old Camaro roars up out of nowhere and four six-by-six locals step out! I just ran.

Called the cops, the LEO was also a "local" and just brushed off my experience as nothing, said he'd speak to them. Come to find out from the Tourist board that another (White) tourist guy got beaten so badly in the very same area 2 weeks earlier, he died during reconstructive surgery.....I hit a market and picked up child's aluminum bat, greased the end of it and put a bag over it in case the "gentleman" I might swing it at tries to grab it on the way to his skull.....

Had no more nasty experience like that one the rest of the trip, but it certainly taught me a good lesson about situational awareness and my lack of preparedness. Been back to Hawaii since but now I know what to expect, lovely place, would not want to live there.

Ulf

Edited by Dangerwolfe

Wolfe,

you said

The problem as I see it is that too many innocent victims are simply too afraid to aggressively "discourage" attacks/crime, so the criminals only get more brazen. Most of these "bad guys" are just cowards and punks. Resist, fight back and they usually scatter. I faced down 3 of them that took my kids bike not too long ago.....of course, I was completely un-armed.

I agree. If you don't hunt the things that 'go bump in the night' they will hunt you. Sometimes the sheepdog gets hurt but the sheep ALWAYS get hurt. Hunter or hunted, the choice is always yours but the preditors seem to know when they've become the prey and your are right, they ARE cowards but even cowards are dangerous, especially if they are in a pack.

Think about a cane; not one with a blade in it, just a solid cane with a large knob as a hand piece. Think medieval mace.

http://www.atlantacutlery.com/p-2382-blackthorn-walking-stick.aspx

or

http://www.atlantacutlery.com/p-866-mace-cane.aspx

or

http://www.atlantacutlery.com/p-2664-genuine-irish-shillelagh-cane.aspx

or even

http://www.atlantacutlery.com/p-2640-african-walking-stick.aspx

Even if you don't require one for a physical condition, a gentleman's walking stick is rarely questioned. It doesn't contain a weapon, it doesn't show intent (a bat is for fighting, the cane is just to help my walking as my joints sometimes start hurting) to do harm and with a little practice it is better than the baton that may also be considered a weapon.

Just a thought.

Wolfe,

you said

I agree. If you don't hunt the things that 'go bump in the night' they will hunt you. Sometimes the sheepdog gets hurt but the sheep ALWAYS get hurt. Hunter or hunted, the choice is always yours but the preditors seem to know when they've become the prey and your are right, they ARE cowards but even cowards are dangerous, especially if they are in a pack.

Think about a cane; not one with a blade in it, just a solid cane with a large knob as a hand piece. Think medieval mace.

http://www.atlantacutlery.com/p-2382-blackthorn-walking-stick.aspx

or

http://www.atlantacutlery.com/p-866-mace-cane.aspx

or

http://www.atlantacutlery.com/p-2664-genuine-irish-shillelagh-cane.aspx

or even

http://www.atlantacutlery.com/p-2640-african-walking-stick.aspx

Even if you don't require one for a physical condition, a gentleman's walking stick is rarely questioned. It doesn't contain a weapon, it doesn't show intent (a bat is for fighting, the cane is just to help my walking as my joints sometimes start hurting) to do harm and with a little practice it is better than the baton that may also be considered a weapon.

Just a thought.

Yes Captain Bart, it's really a sad statement on what's accepted today that thugs (gangsters) are considered the heroes to many young folks. BAD is "cool" instead of good. That said, in my experience it's far more dangerous not to fight back against aggression than to sit their and take it. Accepting abuse, mistreatment, criminality, etc. only invites more of the same.....

Indeed, a walking stick or especially a nice shillelagh with a big fat nasty knot on the end will get your point across. Not that guns aren't effective but I'd prefer to give a punk a concussion than to ventilate him, or open him up like a fish with a blade and face charges over a laptop bag, etc.

Young people do stupid things, always will, I sure did. But they can still learn from their errors and grow up.

Cheers Captain,

Wolfe

There has been many cases where by just having a party at your home,you`re putting yourself and guess in danger of a drive by shooting,it has happen.I have a friend that lives in a somewhat rough area and he and some friends have arm themselfs to guard his guess,he had a drive by sometime ago in his daughter`s birhtday,so now,his front door has a steel plate and front windows are plexi-glass protected,he can`t sale,

nobody will buy in that area.

I completely disagree with planting evidence in someone. It has NO place to even discuss it rhetorically here. We have to be the ethical people that are above such despicable actions, otherwise the rule of law has zero meaning whatsoever.

While I am assuming you made such a reccomendation in jest, there are those in this country perusing these forums looking for just such a post, to use as ammunition to deny us our inalienable rights.