Sign in to follow this  
LivingGray

Welcome to the "Country Survival" forum

Just passing this along - it's the words to a song by Hank Williams, Jr.

"The preacher man says it’s the end of time

And the Mississippi River she’s a goin’ dry

The interest is up and the Stock Markets down

And you only get mugged

If you go down town

I live back in the woods, you see

A woman and the kids, and the dogs and me

I got a shotgun rifle and a 4-wheel drive

And a country boy can survive

Country folks can survive

I can plow a field all day long

I can catch catfish from dusk till dawn

We make our own whiskey and our own smoke too

Ain’t too many things these ole boys can’t do

We grow good ole tomatoes and homemade wine

Because you can’t starve us out

And you cant makes us run

Cuz we're them old boys raised on shotgun

And we say grace and we say Ma’am

And if you ain’t into that we don’t give a damn

We came from the West Virginia coalmines

And the Rocky Mountains and the and the western skies

And we can skin a buck; we can run a trot-line

I had a good friend in New York City

He never called me by my name, just hillbilly

My grandpa taught me how to live off the land

And his taught him to be a businessman

He used to send me pictures of the Broadway nights

And I’d send him some homemade wine

But he was killed by a man with a switchblade knife

For 43 dollars my friend lost his life

Id love to spit some beechnut in that dudes eyes

And shoot him with my old 45

Cause a country boy can survive

Cause you can’t starve us out and you can’t make us run

Cuz we're them old boys raised on shotgun

And we say grace and we say Ma’am

And if you ain’t into that we don’t give a damn

We’re from North California and south Alabam

And little towns all around this land

And we can skin a buck; we can run a trot-line

Country folks can survive"

many people call is survival skills

but as a kid we just thought this is how everyone lived, on my motorcycle and if on horse back i always had a pocket knife a toe sack, a gallon can otherwise known as burlap sack sling shot a trot line in a bag a Benjamin pump BB gun or or a H&R 999 22 pistol or my shotgun and some Redman chewing tobacco or roses tube snuff

hunting fishing out of my little Skeeter boat 20 horse Mercury motor went trot line running frog giging trapping used a minnow net with bread catch a bunch bait what they called yoyo's a automatic fishing reel

nail to a stump set them and check the trot line every few hours and fish with a reel in between

hiking the woods looking for dew berries and grapes we would smoke the old dried grape vine sassafras trees for the roots cleaned and boiled made a root beer tasting drink the leaves look like a hand thumb out fingers

together grind these up to make fele' for gumbo persimmon trees acorns hickory nuts pecans honey suckleprickly pear cactus certain times of the year they have fruit catching crayfish / crawdads / yabbies in Australia... theses taste like mild shrimp

we caught flying squirrels for pets hunted fox coons rabbits robin red breast dove quail deer feral hogs

we used to bow fish for gar shoot nutria rats we consider these vermin

I have raised crickets and worms for fishing the fish well we had bass crappie red ear and plain perch

catfish yellow / mud and blues alligator gar turtles soft shell Indian smoked fish and meat regular smoke

house

salt meat had a small salt box in the smoke house we butchered our own beef 1 or 2 cows a year to some to the butcher to grind into hamburger and stew and chili meat

dehydrated peaches and plums pears helped in the garden planting hoeing picking canning freezing from the garden making jelly my mom made banana nut bread from well ripe bananas we got from the grocer cheap made bread i would have to help to all day we would do it in the winter kept the house warm she made

dark Russian rye

french and like an English muffin bread pies from scratch real pumpkin butter milk coconut cream pecan

butterscotch coffee cake German chocolate cake white cake with butter frosting home made ice cream

love that electric ice cream maker we had a hand crank 1 year next year my dad got an electric one.

made our own sauerkraut pickles chow chow canned everything our garden made

mom made tortillas corn bread roasted pepper and tomatoes and made a salsa that would peal the skin off your tongue and could make any kind of German, Italian, Hungarian, Check, Polish, Mexican food

at the time I was the oldest so I had to help if i was not working

we had 2 big freezers and we never went hungry and I never heard anyone say they were tired of eating X

there was to much variety and on top of all that we would go to or have fish fry's or bar-b-q's

at different folks houses the parents drank coffee and Ice tea or lemon aid who wants a drunk around kids

sometimes a beer or 2 but they watched themselves seems like people my parents associated with had self control we knew heavy drinkers but we did not hang out with them did not judge them nut it was not their thing

and I still had time to go out on dates on Friday night and to dances some times Saturday hang out at the movie theater during the week in the summer we kids hunted fished camped and wore out the swimming pool and Sunday we always went to church.

my family was always doing something together or apart it seemed to work to all our benefit and we had

fun sometimes we played cards or dominoes went fishing together and every year state fair and county fair and rodeo's now and again

my mom did not work she was to busy to I did not know what I had till it just one day it was gone now I

would trade everything I have done since to go back it sure was a great life till I thought I wanted to grow up and make big money that's when the simple things eluded me and life got real complicated.

but now I am back and I like it more at peace confident it will work out got some great friends but I

sometimes really miss my mom and pop