Sign in to follow this  
Texas Bill

Remington 1917 Pattern rifle question

I am looking to pick up one in 30.06 and I was wondering if anyone has some hints based on personal experience as to any problems to look for when checking out one of these? I have done some research but a lot of what I found was based on "well, my buddy's brother had one" stories. The one I have in mind looks pretty clean in the pictures and has been sporterized to the extent the furniture has been changed for a lighter hunting configuration. Any ideas, wise guys?

I have a Remington model 30 in 30-06 that belonged to my Grandfather, very strong beefy action, I also have a Eddystone 30-06 in orginal military hardware, only thing I would recommend is getting a cock on opening bolt. My Remington has alway been a good shooter. Alot of the original 1917 pattern rifle have been sportized, don't see many in military issue.

At one point in time there were issues with the temper of some of the receivers. That was a long time ago when these were plentiful. I imagine that most of the bad receivers were weeded out. There were some serial number blocks which were suspect. If you research the P 17 on the net as to the manufacturer and serial number range, that may assist you better than my failing memory.

The P 17 is a fine weapon and I have owned several in 30-06 and .303. Good luck.

An obvious point but .....

Check the barrel for pitting and wear. Look at the rifling - what kind of shape is it in. Check the chamber and throat for wear, corrosion, pitting. Finally, check the internet for limitations on what it might be able to shoot. Not all rifles can handle all modern loads. Less true with bolt guns than with semi-autos but it is still worth the safety check, just to be sure.

Finally, if at all possible, shoot it first. There are some rifles that just don't shoot true. I don't claim to know why; maybe some invisible imperfection in the rifling or bore but they just don't shoot well. These are very frustrating weapons. Look good but just don't shoot up to expectations.

Good luck with the rifle.

Thanks, Captain Bart. The chamber and barrel look great and I brought it to my gunsmith to check the head spacing and such. I did check to make sure the serial number was not one of those suspected of having temper problems. I will pick it up next Saturday an take to the range. Honestly, I just could not pass it up at the price offered. Part of an estate sale and the granson just wanted to get rid of it. Sad, but I will make sure "Grandpa's" rifle is cared for and used in the future.

Bill,

Great, sounds like you're doing everything correctly.

If I may offer a suggestion - try to get the history of the rifle and put it in writing. There may come a time (for YOUR grandkids, maybe) where that history will be very meaningful. Just an odd, random thought.

Sorry, Captain, not my family's rifle, I just bought as part of estate but I plan to research based on the serial number. My family has a lot of military service history over the years but not many were much interested in "take homes" when they got out. Well, except my youngest brother but he could not figure out how to fit an MRAP in his duffel bag.

I have a Remington model 30 in 30-06 that belonged to my Grandfather, very strong beefy action, I also have a Eddystone 30-06 in orginal military hardware, only thing I would recommend is getting a cock on opening bolt. My Remington has alway been a good shooter. Alot of the original 1917 pattern rifle have been sportized, don't see many in military issue.

i LIKE THE ORIGINAL COCK ON OPENING NOW i COULD GET THAT PUPPY HOT BUT HEY i AM AN OLD HEAD.

Sorry, Captain, not my family's rifle, I just bought as part of estate but I plan to research based on the serial number. My family has a lot of military service history over the years but not many were much interested in "take homes" when they got out. Well, except my youngest brother but he could not figure out how to fit an MRAP in his duffel bag.

Bill,

understand - I thought the family might be able to provide some background. Probably don't care but it might be worth asking.