Sign in to follow this  
barbie.dragon

Time to invest in a multitool. Help?

Hi everyone!

So like the title days I decided to invest in a multitool. I just have too many "Goddamn I wish I had >insert tool<" and decided derp why not buy a multitool to help me? Again today I was flattening boxes and I said "oh I wish I had a knife and scissors" So it is time!

I also want this multitool to last me a while and be good in emergency situations. I was looking at the Leatherman Wave and Leatherman Juice XE6 (the purple is so pretty :D)

But function>looks. Does anyone have experience with both the wave and the XE6?

I'm a 19 year old female so the size of the multitool matters up to a certain point. And the wave is probably the biggest I would deal with!

Oh and I don't know anything about the victorinox products so any suggestions are welcome!

I own the WAVE & been happy with it so far. The fiirst one i purchesed, when they first came out was great. My son naged me for it, so i gave it to him & bought a second one. The first gen WAVES, the screw driver, sizzors, can/bottle opener etc, don't lock. But the second gen WAVES do lock up. The multi-tool wave is on my belt daily, as part of my EDC gear.

I have the Wave, I like it and use it everyday. But there are alot of good multitools out there, so think about what you'll use it for and go from there.

I have 3 of them, one on my belt, and one in each BOB.

Sorry no experience with either particular model but in general Swiss army knifes, Leathermen and Gerber make the best multi-tools on the market. And I keep getting told the wave is a great multitool by multiple sources.

Yeah I've heard awesome reviews about the Leatherman Wave too! But the XE6 is so pretty and if it is as durable I want to get that instead :X

Hey everybody it is good to be back. It has been quite a few months since I have been around here. In the multi-tool debate, if you can call it that, I would not leave out a ranchers fencing tool. I have said it before I have used it more than a leatherman, although I wouldn't bug out or even leave the house without a good leatherman. I keep a fencing tool in my truck and in the bug out gear. It is worth a look to see if you would need one. check the link. http://www.kk.org/cooltools/archives/001412.php

It is good to be back friends.

DR.

Leatherman does make great multi-tools I have had the wave and surge and they are both good but they are expensive. I currently carry the Gerber Suspension and really like it. It's very good quality and half the price of the leatherman. Also if your not familiar with manipulating pliers the suspension makes it easier as it is spring loaded. Not a problem for me as I spent many years doing electrical work, but much easier for my wife to use. The one I brought also came with a smaller keychain version so that I dont have t carry the full size everywhere.

http://www.amazon.com/Gerber-Suspension-Butterfly-Opening-Multi-Plier/dp/B000EDPT9K

http://www.amazon.com/Gerber-Suspension-Multi-Plier-Pocket-Combo/dp/B004165DCO/ref=sr_1_8?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1340542093&sr=1-8&keywords=gerber+suspension

Hey everybody it is good to be back. It has been quite a few months since I have been around here. In the multi-tool debate, if you can call it that, I would not leave out a ranchers fencing tool. I have said it before I have used it more than a leatherman, although I wouldn't bug out or even leave the house without a good leatherman. I keep a fencing tool in my truck and in the bug out gear. It is worth a look to see if you would need one. check the link. http://www.kk.org/cooltools/archives/001412.php

It is good to be back friends.

DR.

I was beginning to worry about you Junior!

However, I've been here all along, even before you.B)

Two Leatherman Fuses here.

dr

Edited by desert rat

Right now I carry a SOG EOD. It's a really great little tool with a lot of useful features built into it without getting too 'tool-happy', if you know what I mean: http://sogknives.com/store/B61.html

But I'm pretty intrigued with this new design that CRKT is coming out with, too... there's no telling when it will become available, but it looks like it might be a good choice as well: http://www.crkt.com/CRKT-Tool

Right now I carry a SOG EOD. It's a really great little tool with a lot of useful features built into it without getting too 'tool-happy', if you know what I mean: http://sogknives.com/store/B61.html

But I'm pretty intrigued with this new design that CRKT is coming out with, too... there's no telling when it will become available, but it looks like it might be a good choice as well: http://www.crkt.com/CRKT-Tool

ahh i see! the SOG one is out of my budget :> but looks very cool :D

I carry the Leatherman Charge TTI and have for years. It replaced my Gerber that grew legs and I could not be happier with it. I have the additional pocket clip makes it ready for daily carry. A bit heavy but very solid. I highly recommend making the investment.

I have a similar one to the wave with a 71 bit set in a pouch it is great but I also carry a Swiss army champ and I have an explorer.

in my GHB I have vice grips and adjustable wrench and a multi hammer my only problem with a multitool

is the fact that the knife has to be extricated from the guts of the tool and some the blade is not ergonomic

when in position the plus side is the blade locks.

the Swiss champ has 2 blades and they are comfortable to use but do not lock so it is a jack knife not a locking blade and you need to be cautious using it.

neither is a defensive knife but the Swiss army has a slight edge {pun not intended}

but both can be used as a slug in the fist to cold cock an attacker or a skull buster / or with kubaton type weapon techniques.

look at whatever your going to get to see its alternative use as a defense weapon or how useful it is as a tool for your particular type of work leatherman makes numerous "HEADS" sissors adjustable wrech needle nose pliers

and a few other specialty ones that you may find more useful than another.

Carried a Gerber suspension for years and loved it and think I'm going to pick another one up next time I'm out. Eight now j have a sog very good and solid l Ike it alot but a little pricey. For what its worth here is my opinion on multi tolls. Since. They are meant to perform multiple functions they don't perform anyone function to its full potential. Even with the sog I Jan e had trouble using the screwdriver bit. When no other tools are around they are great. I have had them break on me before so i would t spend alot of money on them anymore. Gerber is about the highest price I will go

In 1998 I got the Leatherman Supertool. It had just come out, and it's ridden in the console of my personal vehicles since I received it. The blades came, and are still, insanely sharp. In theory, multitools are nice. I never really have cause to use one. I don't like stuff on my belt, and they're too heavy to carry in a pocket.

I did get a Leatherman Juice S2 for Christmas, however, and I really like it. It's a good size to accomplish your general day to day tasks. The scissors and pliers are what I find the most use for. I've carried a Wenger SAK for about 20 years now (the same knife), and it has survived the test of ages so I already had screwdrivers on me. Still, the Juice is noticeably heavier, and I mostly only carry it at work although if I think it'll come in handy with what I'm going to go do then I'll pocket it instead.

I would like to have a Leatherman Charge AL, but it would also ride in my vehicle or bag. Pay a visit to the EDC forums over at EDCforums.com. They've got PAGES of information on these items and many more. The Charge AL is virtually identical to the Wave, which is the best selling Leatherman of all time, but it has a better steel mix in the "main blade," and it has black aluminum scales pinned to the steel handles for ergonomics. They supposedly feel better and make them more retainable. Leatherman tools are very smooth (read: slippery).

D: so i ended up not winning the bid which is ok. My brother is currently enrolled in ROTC so he can go buy stuff that is cheaper at the bases so I guess that is where I will be getting my stuff... :<

I still can't decide between the Wave and the XE6 and the reviews I found online arent really helpful.... Oh well, patience is key

I have had an old leatherman "tool" for a long time. That's all it is called, leatherman tool. I left it on my lady's father's boat racently, after needing it twice the day after I bought a new one while at home depot. I got the "wingman", can't really say I'm super impressed, for the price it is good but I have issues with the philips screw driver and file/small flathead driver (broke already). It is more comfortable in my hand and has nice features like the blade and scissors (both lock) on the outside of the tool so you do not have to unfold the plier part but I feel like the old one is just tougher, I routinely beat the crap out of the old one without thinking twice but feel like I have to be more careful with the wingman. Hoping to get a wave soon. Also saw a nice gerber multi tool with a nice little led light in it, My name is Jon and I'm addicted to flashlights.

I have had a Wave since they first came out. Use it for everything and often while saltwater fishing. It's still Rick solid after all these years. Can't say enough good about it.