Sign in to follow this  
kailstark

urban/wilderness evasion

THere is a thread you might wanna read up on for ideas

http://www.survivalcache.com/forums/showthread.php?2044-Anyone-have-SHTF-experience

As for Evasion.. its all about blending in. Not just wearing camo or ghilli suit. Blending in with a crowd is just as important. Its part of that being grey thing.

Edited by NavyVet_77

Come up with a variant of Capture the Flag. You set territories/boundaries whether it's in a city or out in the woods somewhere, you can decide what happens if someone is captured/killed and what it takes to capture/kill someone (cheap laser tag = flashlights + the honor system, although if you want people to be sneaky about things, you can force them to grab a bandanna out a back pocket or belt). It likewise gives you an opportunity to develop both offensive and defensive skills, because you need to infiltrate the other team's territory to get their flag, but you also need to have people left behind to guard their flag.

No, it's not necessarily a serious endeavor, but it could definitely be taken seriously. And it's nothing like a military drill (or even a wanna-be military encounter like paintball), but again, it helps you think through and practice different kinds of tactics with a team in a setting of your choice. And it's pretty much free!

Ah, why spare them that courtesy? A couple of years ago, the local LEOs decided to do some kind of anti-terrorism drill and showed up in SWAT-worthy attire with heavy weaponry, many trucks and vehicles, and were running all over around where my office was. We finally got someone on the phone at the police station and she said in this why-in-the-heck-are-you-bugging-me voice, "Uh, yeah. It's a drill, so you should just ignore it. I think maybe someone was supposed to call."

Really? Because normally a bunch of black clad, quasi-military looking guys running around on PRIVATE PROPERTY adjacent to buildings filled with hundreds of office workers would just blend right in. Jackasses.

Ah, why spare them that courtesy? A couple of years ago, the local LEOs decided to do some kind of anti-terrorism drill and showed up in SWAT-worthy attire with heavy weaponry, many trucks and vehicles, and were running all over around where my office was. We finally got someone on the phone at the police station and she said in this why-in-the-heck-are-you-bugging-me voice, "Uh, yeah. It's a drill, so you should just ignore it. I think maybe someone was supposed to call."

Really? Because normally a bunch of black clad, quasi-military looking guys running around on PRIVATE PROPERTY adjacent to buildings filled with hundreds of office workers would just blend right in. Jackasses.

OC,

this is something that scares me. There are LEO impersonators around - a bunch of 'ninjas' running through my yard at oh-dark-thirty are most likely to be 'engaged'. If they are true LEO, I'd wind up doing either jail time or morgue time most likely. The hubris of some LEO commanders is setting the stage for a massive misunderstanding and the death of innocent civilians. I wish I knew how to stop it, but I just do not know. Be very careful out there.

OC,

this is something that scares me. There are LEO impersonators around - a bunch of 'ninjas' running through my yard at oh-dark-thirty are most likely to be 'engaged'. If they are true LEO, I'd wind up doing either jail time or morgue time most likely. The hubris of some LEO commanders is setting the stage for a massive misunderstanding and the death of innocent civilians. I wish I knew how to stop it, but I just do not know. Be very careful out there.

You be careful, too. It does make me worry - all it would take is one person inclined to ACT against the threat rather than trying to gather more information first for it to be a disaster.

On the plus side, our police tend to act more like jackbooted thugs during routine traffic stops than when they are in people's yards, and the other nearby town's police are just taser-happy, and usually target hippies. That's good, right? LOL