Sign in to follow this  
American Rogue

My first EDC, Need advice

Hey Guys. I bought a Maxpedition Kodiak Gearslinger and it is my first real EDC pack I have put a few things in it already own. I have a small fleece like blanket (soon to be replaced with a bivy), a SOG bowie, 2 flashlights with 2 sets of extra batteries, a SOG vulcan folding knife, chap stick, 10ft od green paracord, a small mutli tool (generic) need to be upgraded, a swiss army super tinker, a colombia mutli took (lookes like a swiss army knife i keep it because it has a saw), a 25oz aluminum watter bottle (needs to be upgraded), a generic e-tool, an old rifle scope (planning to upgrade to binoculars), 6ft of thick rope, and 250ft of black 550 cord. a little first aid guide, and a set of warm cloths.

Next I plan to get a first aid kit, a water bladder, 3 firestarter and a lighter, some mainstay MRE's, a shemagh, a few of those mainstay water packs, and i'm still working on the list. I need you guys' opinion on things to add to it, all advice is extremely appreciated. Thanks.

I defiantly took the E-tool out almost immediately after I put the bag on, I posted this without even walking around with the bag after I packed it (pretty dumb I know).

I am 14 and I don't have much experience with this so a made more than a few errors when packing the bag at first. I was kinda looking for a basic list for a get home bag and I love your ideas. Especially for the fire starter, and as for the knives now I only have the Bowie (working knife), the swiss army knife, and a small gerber folder. I started a small first aid kit with an old kit my mother mad from a camping class she took in college (only some of it was still good). I have a few band-aids, some antiseptic wipes, neosporin, burn ointment, some medical tape, tweezers, small scissors, and some acetaminophen, but i'm plan on adding more to it. I started looking online for some first aid classes. The bag has a whistle on it but i'm going to get the jet scream just in case, and i'm going to start putting together a repair kit. I got a summer job, so my pack should get better as the summer goes on, until now selling paracord bracelets has paid for most of this stuff.

And thanks navy vet i think im going to get the 3600 ration, an thanks wally I almost forgot about water purification.

and remember not to get too overwhelmed or it wont be fun anymore :) 1 peice at a time...

American Rogue, great start and initiative. I'm not sure what your locale is, but a small fishing kit and a couple snares are light and can offer food gathering ability. Also signaling devices, you said whistle, so a mirror and/or a high-vis signal panel if it's an emergency and help is needed.

Too many of us , myself included too often, look at prepping as a "combative" or defensive situation and not just prepping for an emergency. This is due in no small part to the economy and other outside influences, but don't prep so hard for the end that you aren't prepared for the "normal" emergencies.

Also, if they have Civil Air Patrol in your area, this is a great organization and offers free medical training along with other training to its members. Also, gear you (or your parents) buy for "CAP" (like rucksacks, first aid supplies, signaling devices, sleeping bags, etc) are tax deductible.

As for a light weight "e-tool", get a stainless steel bowl. This offers a multitude of uses and weighs next to nothing. A stainless mess kit can work as well.

Yeah i've noticed the list is getting pretty long :eek:

Yes, but get as you can, that's why we call it "preppING" and not preppED"...lol. Prioritze the list for what YOU need and work you way thru the list and by then, you will have added new items from experience and knowledge gained.

EDC First aid validation:

My wife kinda pokes fun at me for my carrying/transporting my EDC, even though shes onboard with the whole prep thing. So this weekend we went hiking with some friends. Friend had a splinter and used my tweezers to pull out, friend had bad seasonal allergies this weekend and my Benadryl in my pill baggy saved the day. Sliced my finger, saved by alcohol swab/cotton ball/bandaid. Wife cant laugh at me anymore :P

Im rebuilding my EDC and stumbled across this in a pile of collected gear and I think its awsome so I did some hunting online and found it. So what do y'all think

http://countycomm.com/hook.html

I know it is niche item but I do see potential

I dig it!! Never thought to include a grappling hook, probably due to size but this one is great