Sign in to follow this  
Powers7rok3

EWS: Early Warning Systems/alarms

ok so i was thinking how about making your own alarm systems (ex diy trip wire on youtube) and putting those as an outside perimeter just like the guy on nat geo did but instead of a wee little speaker that wont even reach my house and even if it did wouldn't really alert me if i was sleeping....why not hard wire it to a switch board with it connected to a light and speaker to alert you someone or thing has intruded and which section its on so you know where to direct you defensive systems.

PROBLEM: A: the amount of wire it would take to run individual alarms even if they were 10yard wide trip alarms still alot of ground to cover with enough of a cushion to still have a good distance away from attackers, my solution was to make it wireless...but haven't really figured out a energy effective way seeing as theses run on 9V bats they arent built for more than it has on a base product....my only solution was to use radios that are built for each other(like a one channel if at all possible) and wire it so when its tripped it sends a signal to the reciever in the house which switches on the light of the designated area and a alarm speaker to alert.

any ideas or comments pos or neg appreciated...just please refrain from over negative stuff

Edited by Powers7rok3

Powers,

Don't know what you have in mind but if you are any good with a soldering gun, there are kits that would be useful for this purpose at hobby stores and on line - things like sirens and alarm transmitters. That assumes you have a power source. Even rechargeable batteries and a solar charger have a limited life. The other possibility is trip flares or noise makers (cans filled with pebbles) and a noisy dog in the house to pick up the sound.

Electronics are great for TSHTF as long as you don't bet the farm on them. Like any early warning system, it may not work.

i do see your point, but my problem with useing a unit with a speaker on it instead of closer to people is that maybe were sleeping and it isnt loud enough to wake us and even if we had a dog still dont guarantee anything either because maybe hes just barking at the wind.

also i have seen the things at hobby stores and i guess the "i wanna do this on my own" mindset kicked in and didnt think to look into that and with the low power output that will be discharged when and if ever activated a C battery or 9v will be suitable for the unit and a few solar boards for house unit...then again maybe i am over thinking this but...thank you for your input and ima goto local hobbystore (30mi away) and look.

Thats the only thing wrong with most alarm systems, is your limited to a power supply. if you've got a back up generator, or some serious solar power panels, 1 wire alternators(230 amp) with homemade blades(wind generators) and marine batteries, you'd be alright.

most sensors for the higher end systems, use Cat 5 ethernet cable for all their power and signalling needs. their called 4 wire systems, 8 wires being in the ethernet cable 2 for positive, 2 for negative, leaving 4 wires for signalling. Honeywell has a list of diy home alarm systems and video camera's. theres some video systems that only start recording when motion is detected, and are suppose to alert you or a service, when this happens. defender usa advertises this, but in reality doesn't, i gotta rely on my dogs to bark at something, then i look. allotta systems are going internet ready, where you check on your video's from any computer hooked into the net, which is great with a wireless laptop in the house, hear something, just flip it on, instead of having to run to 4 different windows to look. defender advertises you can view on your mobile device..again doesn't...

another idea, (would require stringing 120 volt power) use motion detector lights, then wire a signalling device between the actuall light bulb and the detector, or hook an amp meter to that line going out, and when the amp meter goes up, have it notify a sector alert.

or if you could convert a wireless web camera, to use a car battery and a solar power panel, that should have enough power to last through the night, but would require something else to alert you, theres motion going on.

http://gizmodo.com/5628762/a-heat+seeking-automated-nerf-sentry-gun this is interesting, but i wouldn't deploy this til it was clear, Law and order was never coming back.

If i could describe it better it would make sense....but it seems that you are talking about something im not that is speaking of the first part of your message, talking about internet and whatnot. This is a self contained DIY SHTF system, which i agree has a possibility of failure...as do all things for SHTF scenarios,but later on in you message i see the light idea being aplicable but im trying to make a semi long distance system...like for outer perimeter stuff this would also be used in conjunction with watches and stuff like that....but ive figured it out and as soon as i get a working prototype i will post a vid which i hope will explain some stuff better than I

you need to think powerless non tech your trying to psych them out not yourself

a small dog don't eat much and have better ears than you.

cross bars keep your door from being open so easy

the welcome mat from hell

a can of tomato paste at 120 mph hardware store power house

warning if you use items like these you will be jailed and convicted

only during extreme need for security as in the TEOTWAWKI AND NO LESS!!!!!

I will accept no responsibility for loss of life, limb permanent disfigurement death blindness or anything else you have been warned and warned again.....................

make them at home mix and match

4 inch drywall screws / 16 penny nails and some 1/2 inch plywood paint green like grass

cans full of marbles or smooth round rock

wooden pyramids painted black or camo called ankle busters chop saw these before also make great post caps

screamer streamers cotton line cord with honey and pepper

{or my eye/ nose itches} can also add a hook dangle from everywhere..

paint can boogie use oil bases paint or paint remover

tangle foot with barbed wire and t posts or sharp long pegs

treble hooks are a mans best friend

mineral oil on sheet plastic with drywall screws the real slip and slide carbon dust keeps down the shine

fly paper with fishing line with treble hooks

dangling hook lines painted black love that braided line

trip wire or kick actuated poppers on plywood add Cayenne pepper in a envelope or ----

yellow jackets or bad bad ants in a can with plastic lid with string trip

bucket of tears flour talcum powder and pepper don't get stupid people can stop breathing

depending on set humidity might need a fall away cover to prevent caking

BB's or marbles short wood dowels or mineral oil on a smooth surface

I have yet begun to play and I ain't gonna tell the real good ones

this has already been said for the most part, but the only problem I have with this is the power issue. Eventually your going to run out of power for some reason so I would go with non powered alarms, like the ones Capt Bart talked about.

If your looking for powerless and long range, Trip wire with pull string flairs. Trip wires can be as long as you want. A flair goes off and everyone see's it. In the movies people step on trip wires and don't know it. that does not happen in the real world, someone entering will know that have been detected if you use a trip wire.