Sign in to follow this  
Jumbo

Quality or Quantity

What is the best approach to preparing especially when there are funding questions? Does one save to buy the best quality or does one procure lesser quality in order to have something on hand sooner? This applies to any prepping needs - tools, guns, food, shelter, etc. Is it best to prioritize and buy the best quality things high on the list? What items can you scrimp on? Would appreciate your thoughts and comments. Thanks......

Given that funds are limited for most, focus and prioritize for the basics first. See what you can get your hands on now for free or for very little. SOmething is better than nothing. MANY MANY people on this forum scour yardsales all spring/summer. its not about quality. Surely I like quality equipment if i can manage.

Dont feel like ur at a disadvantage just because you get 2nd hand gear. Its what you do with it that matters more. Yardsales bud...

Given that funds are limited for most, focus and prioritize for the basics first. See what you can get your hands on now for free or for very little. SOmething is better than nothing. MANY MANY people on this forum scour yardsales all spring/summer. its not about quality. Surely I like quality equipment if i can manage.

Dont feel like ur at a disadvantage just because you get 2nd hand gear. Its what you do with it that matters more. Yardsales bud...

So, would you buy a cheaper multi tool today or save for a top quality one a little later? What are the priorities? Appreciate any input,

So, would you buy a cheaper multi tool today or save for a top quality one a little later? What are the priorities? Appreciate any input,

A $5 multitool IS still VERY useful. cheap basics is where i started and theres nothing wrong with it.

Firearms, Knives, Machete, Axe, Tools, Cooking utencils, Sleeping bag, Shoes & Boots are the items i would buy quality & spend the money on & cry once. If you bought sub-quality or crapy quality stuff, when they don't work or brake, you'll be crying even more. In most cases the second time around you've bought crapy quality, the price at times exceed the price of the quality item. I normaly look for sales when buying quality items to save on money. Yard sales, flea markets, liquidation insurance fire & water damage sales are a good bet to find things cheap. One's finance will vary as to what one wants & need it have. Rule of thum is buy the best what one can afford.

Inexpensive doesn't have to be cheap quality!

Make a list in order of importance:

1. Food: Buy the food you normally on sale and always add a little to your storage.

2. Hunt garage sales, flea markets and local auction houses. You won't believe the QUALITY items you can find for next to nothing. I just got a high quality sleeping bag in perfect condition for $3!! You can find tools etc cheap.

3. Boots: That's something I would save up for.

Adding to what others have said; Quality is very important for things such as tools that you will use frequently and really depend on. That said everything you buy does not need to be the top of the line nor new. Plenty of "nearly" new, hardly used quality items to be had on the cheap especially weapons. Just takes a lot more effort to find them.

I am of the mind that prepping is a long term effort and while threats exist, no one has a crystal ball. Therefore, don't go broke rushing out trying to buy the best of everything right away. Study your situ and the most likely SHTF situs you will face, make some basic plans and these will guide your purchases.

Wolfe

Adding to what others have said; Quality is very important for things such as tools that you will use frequently and really depend on. That said everything you buy does not need to be the top of the line nor new. Plenty of "nearly" new, hardly used quality items to be had on the cheap especially weapons. Just takes a lot more effort to find them.

I am of the mind that prepping is a long term effort and while threats exist, no one has a crystal ball. Therefore, don't go broke rushing out trying to buy the best of everything right away. Study your situ and the most likely SHTF situs you will face, make some basic plans and these will guide your purchases.

That said, I ALWAYS try to have more than one of everything or alternatives, work-arounds etc. As an example take cutting tools: Just in my BIBB bag alone I have a small swiss army knife, multi - tool with several blades, small razor knife with many spare blades that can be sharpened by breaking off the tip, and a main hunting knife, and a VERY nasty and sharp hatchet with a hammer opposite the blade: many blades and duplication of tools, I have 4 ways to start a fire, etc.

Wolfe

things that you can lose, multi tool, EDC knife, etc.. i dont go crazy on quality b/c i would rather have extras for the inevitable loss of EDC item.

primary weapon, i go quality, then get lots of ammo, mags, and then spend on optics. basics first.

same with tools and other supplies.

I try to buy quality when it come to shoes or boots, firearms. Flea markets & yard sales are great places to get quality items at reduced cost. I believe buy the best you can afford..................I seen alot of friends and other try to skimp on quality and regret it later, when it could be a real problem....I have been on 8 to 10 day hunting trips and seen to many guys get pissed over failed low quality gear.

I pretty much agree with what most have said so far. You have to split what what is important to you and decide if you want it to fall into the quality or quanity catagory. Personally tools I would want to be quality since they will get a lot of use and you very much depend on them to help make other things, like knives and mutil tools. However, on the same note if you are just starting out and funds are limited make sure you have the basics before you hold out for quality. Any knife and multi tool are better than none. I started out with a cheaper Gerber multi tool and later on bought a SOG. I started out with a mini swiss army knife and later bought a Gerber LMF infantry. You don't have to buy expensive heavy load coradage( most of us really are not going to be repelling down a building or wall) just go to your local hardware store and buy a couple of ten dollar shanks or even bailing twine is good to use. Clothes as long as they keep you warm and dry it doesn't matter what the brand on the front says. I'm not going to keep on listing all the items I can come up with because I think you get the idea. Good luck.

One thing to keep in mind is that quality does not always mean expensive nor does expensive always mean quality. Often times the more expensive items are what I refer to as gold plated cow patties. For the guy that wants to brag about having a knife that cost him $500.00, quality seems to be less important than flashy.

Knives are a good example of this. As far as using a knife as a cutting tool I can name several VERY cheep knives that are great tools. They don't have bone handles or a lot of shine but they are tough and dependable tools. A plain Jane Mossberg or Remington shotgun shoots critters just as well as some super expensive dressed up model. I like my leatherman, SOG and Gerber multi-tools but when I go fishing I carry a cheap imitation for pulling out hooks and such and have never had on fail me.

Don't get hung up on flash or super big brand names. I make a lot of my things and will tell you that excellent quality can be had for pennies if you will work garage sales and keep your eyes open. I just love to find a box of old carbon steel knives with a little rust on them. I have picked up old Case butcher knives for a dollar. A little rust means to most people that it is trash and the fact is that these are probably better knives than you can buy these days. They sharpen to a razor edge and hold that edge real well.

I've reshaped a couple of old hatchets into some pretty cool looking hawks. Some really old silverware knives made really nice patch knives. When an old outdoors man passes on all his treasures may end up on a card table in the yard. I picked up a Herters 10ga hand loader in almost new condition for $3.00. I sold it on Ebey for a NICE profit. Take your wife and kids along and make it a family thing.