Sign in to follow this  
TheDefaultHuman

The Walking Dead ~ Zombie Talk in General

Well zombie threads are becoming more common, and they may be less realistic TEOTWAWKI events but they sure are fun to follow, and are a leisure-time survivalist/prepper genre to study or watch. (In my opinion half the country is starting to look like zombies already).

There has been a lot of hype about this series, and I agree, with much respects it deserves it.

I have been waiting for a zombie show for ages, every once in a while a new zombie movie will come out (RE), which is nice, but a show was begging to be made.

Quick background about me, I have beaten every Resident Evil put in front of me, including 1, 2, 3, 4, 5(sucked), 0, Veronica X, Dead Aim, Outbreak File 1, Outbreak File 2, and a few more, countless times. I have also watched every resident evil movie made so far, and played many zombie games and watched many zombie movies.

I too hope that its zombies....

But anyways, onto the main topic,

The Walking Dead is an AMC drama show which has very high ratings, yes its a drama and I would say it is a little less actiony at times, but very interesting.

What does any of this have to do with SHTF?

Well if it is indeed a viral outbreak of any form, zombie shows/movies come closest to the general ideas you may consider doing.

I have only watched the first season (because I don't have cable, just Netflix) and without trying to spoil anything, there are a lot of situations I've noticed were you would have to think about in real life.

Its not just a few people fighting a horde of zombies and surviving, its a group of friends, family, and (almost) enemies fighting to survive, against the elements, zombies, explosions, and even other humans. Its a good series to watch if you feel like taking an awesome trip down the road that would be epic to journey in real life. The series is just heart pounding and I am stoked 12 more episodes came out, although I won't be able to watch them till I get a sound card on my computer or cable or 2400 Xbox live points (which cost $30 I believe and I'm not paying that).

But anyways, feel free to talk about the show, or any other movies/games pertaining to zombies.

I think Zombie discussion is good because it's basically what you would do after the worst possible event people could actually survive. Every move would have to be carefully planned. Not only did the civilized world collapse, your half-dead gross neighbors are chasing you down the street screaming and it's just like the outbreak scene in the new Dawn of the Dead with little girls eating people and ambulances crashing and fires all over the ideal suburban street, yeah, not just high winds and no electricity here people. No matter what happens I'm pretending that it's Zombies, then staying hidden would be become instinct. MZB is used a lot around these parts, so it's already in peoples minds that every and anyone could be a potential enemy/zombie/opportunist. An interesting long term survival topic, I think, would be food, can animals become infected? Even if there was not a Zombie plague, if civilization crumbles, who knows what could turn up as far as diseases. Hunting might be dangerous. In 12 Monkeys there was a disease that forced mankind underground and the animals took over the earth. I like to think hunting will be an option, Farming is great but I wouldn't want to rely on farming everything. I refuse to go vegetarian, no offense to anyone but there is a reason chicken tastes so good, there is a reason that bacon, fried egg,and cheese on top of a burger tastes soooooo good. I am trying to alter my diet due to what I think will be tough times ahead, but I like to eat as many animals in a meal as I can. I love vegetables too and those are easy enough to grow but livestock seems like a pain in the ass.

HA. The Amish "Prepped up and bugged out since 1693" if they had slogans they would be using that one (provided they buy the rights).

YES this is by far my favorite show of all time. It is so amazing. Its not just about killing zombies, its so much more. And the actors and characters are incredible. I won't give any spoilers since you don't have the show anymore but just the first episode of the second season had me on the edge of my seat for 90 minutes and got me pumped for the rest of the season. Zombie talk is definitly a fun way to talk about all kind of SHTF scenarios.

whats "mzb" mean?

Mutant Zombie Bikers - sort of a tongue in cheek reference to the gangs of biker dudes in the various Mad Max type of movies - they are no long quite human and ride around like hordes of locust killing and taking.

My personal opinion is that they are not going to happen - The penultimate MZB, the plains Indians (just my not so humble opinion and not meant to belittle their skills) rarely traveled in groups of more than 10 or so. It was just too difficult to survive off the land in large groups. They held their own, right up to the time of the repeating fire arm - once the invading settler could hold off the small groups, the Indian way of life was over. Sad in many ways, it was a good life.

I cant watch that show anymore, every time their rv breaks down (4 times an episode) everyone gets out and starts wondering all around, all the Zombies still have shoes on (I know that seems dumb but if they are basically dead and walking for miles across varied terrain , someones losing a shoe), the parents let their kids walk around and play next to abandoned cars, corpses and all sorts of nasties, the last one I watched a boy got shot because his brainless father lets him approach a big buck out in the woods and someone shot through it and it hit the kid, why would you let a child go near a wild animal right after the world basically ended and hospitals arent exactly up and runnin. I also think its overly graphic, I know what happens when the Zombies get someone, I don't need to see individual tissue types being ripped apart in a close up. Oh yeah, whats with the guy from Boondock Saints riding around on a chopper with ss bolts on it, lame gimmic if you ask me, not to mention loud as hell. That group of people would probably be dead in half an hour. The blondes cute.....

I cant watch that show anymore, every time their rv breaks down (4 times an episode) everyone gets out and starts wondering all around, all the Zombies still have shoes on (I know that seems dumb but if they are basically dead and walking for miles across varied terrain , someones losing a shoe), the parents let their kids walk around and play next to abandoned cars, corpses and all sorts of nasties, the last one I watched a boy got shot because his brainless father lets him approach a big buck out in the woods and someone shot through it and it hit the kid, why would you let a child go near a wild animal right after the world basically ended and hospitals arent exactly up and runnin. I also think its overly graphic, I know what happens when the Zombies get someone, I don't need to see individual tissue types being ripped apart in a close up. Oh yeah, whats with the guy from Boondock Saints riding around on a chopper with ss bolts on it, lame gimmic if you ask me, not to mention loud as hell. That group of people would probably be dead in half an hour. The blondes cute.....

Pretty much. I liked the first season, but me and a bunch of guys on a gun forum that watch it, are getting tired of the second season and its only 2 episodes in. IMO the best character of the show is Daryl, dude from The Boondock Saints.

He's pretty good, however him and the rest of the cast and director of Boondock Saints 2 : All Saints Day need to be brought to justice for crimes against humanity.

I just hate how every time they decide to stop for some reason, it's a great big surprise that leaving shelter and spreading out all over the place completely unorganized gets someone hurt or killed. Then you got the crazy attempted family stealer who assaults the cops wife and she doesn't even bring that up to the cop. An emotionally and mentally unstable person would be scarier than the Zombies. That dude would be politely asked to leave (shot) if it were up to me. I'll keep watching but it seems like the gore is taking center stage. I also started watching late in the game, often times smaller details and inconsistencies can be forgiven or ignored if you have been watching and a fan since day 1.

I'll keep watching but it seems like the gore is taking center stage.

In the older movies the terror came from your imagination (shower scene in Psycho - Hitchcock was the master of this). Now the directors seem to use splatter to avoid actually being creative or using people that can act. Human hamburger is not entertainment. If real you may well puke the first few times you see it. Once you're over that reaction, there is no enjoyment in the "splatter" flicks. They quickly become boring. Most modern directors must be paid by the minute of screen time because they take a sold 45 min. flick and extend it to 2 hours based on screams and splat. Not my idea of a way to relax with my lady watching a flick.

Check out the movie scene in Murphy's Romance. Yeah, it's a chick flick but it isn't bad and the movie scene tells a lot about how to lose a girl.

I watch the show and i kinda agree with IHopethatitszombies up there about the lack of common sense in the show (but i say that about a lot of shows). although because of this show i decided to add a crossbow to my armory in the near future. nothing like silent death with reusable ammo.

Alright I'll admit I like the show a ton. I just finished the first season so the second remains to be seen. Yeah they lack common sense (food for the love of god grab some food you giant idiots!!!) but I also think that is going to be pretty common in any real disaster SHTF end of the world situation. Not everyone who survives is going to be prepared, have knowledge or what not, some people will make it through sheer luck, or who they know. I know people I would drag along to save even though they are not necessarily useful.

Side note I think they are making Shane (the former partner, wife-stealer) less likeable because they are going to kill him off.

Also agree on the crossbow. Never thought of it before and it seems brilliant to me.

Yeah, its not super realistic, but its more of an adventure. I like it, but it is a "Drama" genre'd show. I wish it was more actiony, but its thrilling to me. I totally agree on some things tho, a lack of common sense, and too much drama, but it sparks my imagination.

I love the show, but the graphic novels (that the show is based on) are much better. Each season has roughly been one volume of the graphic novels, if not watered down a lot. The show no longer adheres strictly to the graphic novels in that Shane, died in the first volume when he tried to kill Rick so he could have his wife. And they totally made up the missing girl bit. Oh well, I still love the show and will continue to watch it.

I've come to terms with most, and I do mean most, entertainment forms being poor from a logical standpoint. Something that was mentioned to me and I've never had a hard time with was the 'suspension of disbelief' when it comes to entertainment. The idea of 'I know it couldn't happen, but I'm going to throw that out the window and have fun' is about the only way to really enjoy most stories. I like the show, but the comics (graphic novels as they call them nowadays) are waaaaaaaay better and more gritty.

I personally think a zombie apocalypse could never happen, but I digress.

There was a zombie stuck in a well, and to get the zombie out, their plan was to lower an unlucky fellow into the well with a rope because that it obviously what anyone would do.........I can't do it. Those people should just sit in an open field yelling "zombie mcdonalds open for busniness!", they would probably last longer. I want my money back.

lol, very true man! I couldn't believe that was there plan...why not just try to lasso the zombie from topside? Plus didn't they say something about having numerous other wells, why not just use those ones? Didn't make sense to me. The other thing was when shane and otis went to the school and got inside that trailer for the medical supplies. If you notice the trailer door as they are leaving it has a window on it....of course the flares were going to burn out while they were in there and even if they hadn't why the hell wouldn't you check out the window before just busting open a door you know leads to a parking lot full of zombies??

oohh Zombies......now we are talking! I hate to admit it but the reason I got into prepping was zombies...my kids and wife had a field day with me when I started stockpileing everything! For a while I tried bullcrapping them with poweroutage senarios and such but they saw right through me. But after a while I got serious about being prepared and my boys , in their thirties now started prepping too.

I remember going to the show to see "Night of the living dead",that was it. I was hooked I don't think there are too many dead movies out that I have not seen....I love them,it's great to see how they start out and watching what the main characters do to survive!

"Walking Dead", was like a gift to me,and the Chiller network is starting their own zombie series called "Remains" on 12/16/11.

You can really get some good ideas from these movies plus it gives me an excuse to buy more guns and ammo.....:)

I might watch another one. I just don't know, the remote is like a few feet away, there would be multiple button pushes, we're talkin on demand, it's kinda slow. This is a big commitment. I'll try but I have a sneaking suspicion that it will be Amazing......................................................ly bad. Maybe! after Criminal Minds. Maybe.

I kind of like the walking dead. It's interesting for right now. But I figure it will get boring real quick. The worst thing I've seen about it seems like every time I have to go to Atlanta on a weekend they are filming and have a road closed. I hate Atlanta so I don't go unless I have to but 3 times I've had to stop for their filming