Sign in to follow this  
LivingGray

If SHTF

Really appreciate the comments about treating pets with respect. They might not be able to say it or even think it like we humans do, but you gotta know they want to survive too. My dogs are all gone now, but I still have 3 of my original cats, and for many reasons I consider them better friends than most of the people I know. Hey, they are "people" as far as I am concerned, or at the very least they have what I call personhood. Thanks for the insights, everyone...

--Bill

In all the major disasters where folks have had to GOOD without pets (Katrina as a prime example) the pets went feral. They had to in order to survive but that made them a huge risk to everyone. Those that could be caught were able to go back to pet but we will never learn how many were killed in self protection.

If you can not care for your pet, please, for the sake of the pet and your fellow human beings, put the pet down as painlessly as possible. Too many folks do what feels good to them, not what is right for all. It may feel better to "turn fluffy loose so he can live" but having fluffy become food for the local feral pack is not a pleasant way to die and becoming a member of that pack could get a kid killed. It may seem hard but the right, humane and even loving thing is to euthanize your pet if you can not care for him, post TSHTF.

I couldn't agree more with you capt Bart, if i couldn't care for him i would put him down. It would break my heart, but it's the most humane way to go. He's an old timer and without my help wouldn't make it. Lets hope it never comes to that...

Really appreciate the comments about treating pets with respect. They might not be able to say it or even think it like we humans do, but you gotta know they want to survive too. My dogs are all gone now, but I still have 3 of my original cats, and for many reasons I consider them better friends than most of the people I know. Hey, they are "people" as far as I am concerned, or at the very least they have what I call personhood. Thanks for the insights, everyone...

--Bill

My feelings exactly!!!

euthanize your pet ...

I lost 2 well aged dogs at the start of this year,and it was hard for an old man like myself and my wife cryed 2 days..in a SHTF time we must adjust to our thinking..I have Cats and know the stinkers would survive,they keep the neighborhood clean now and I had to get rid of the bird feeder to stop them from ambushing them(they worked togeather,wife said it was my fault..lol).Yes my cats are hunters,not many squirrells around..and they notice everything that moves.

Sorry off subject...

Buging in takes a different look at your neighborhood also,I know most of my neighbors.90% will freak out the first 2 days and have no water(I have a 50 galone container ready and plenty of clean jugs to fill if need be),most will leave,only 2 have the same mentality as I do and we have talked about it.Castle defence, to be the S O B that nobody wants a piece of,OR that no one knows your there and when they do such a strong responce to a "threat" they wont do it twice.They be dead.

Its a mental thing to adjust to and anyone who thinks its easy is wrong. I work in a nursing home and care for the Eldery,when they die its a part of life.Some I work with loose it when this happens and think it strange for me to be able to Say "ok lets get them ready for the family and the funeral home" and to do it in a way that is respectfull.

In a SHTF situation Im not going to have the same attitude to care for someone thats endangering me or mine, I may not bury them,I may use it to deture others.

Its all about ATTITUDE ,make sure you have the strength to adapt to what ever comes.JMHO..

My response would be to hit my BOL and trust NO ONE at this point. If your preps are depleated imagine the frame of mind that people who were not prepared are in. Desparation. My BOL is rural and I have preps and sustainables there. Its a judgement call though. As soon as my preps hit low levels at my bug in Id have to make a call. I also look at my BOL as a potential permanent situation. How do I get enough supplies out to my BOL - ie all my crap? These are all decisions that will have to be made at the begining of shtf.

My BOB/72-hour kit is centered around the eventuality of walking out. I have a great distance beween me and my BOL. Most of it interstate, that will likely be clogged. I plan to drive as far as possible and walk the rest/all. Whether I can get there in three days... unlikely, so I have a little extra food. I can eat WELL for 3 days, or stretch it for 6 or 7...

I am looking into pre-positioning things now...

If you have to walk out I think it would be prudent to have a path to your BOL that goes no where close to an interstate. For guys stalled in traffic you walking within visual range with a BOB on your back makes you a prime target for every mall ninja who thinks he deserves your stuff.

Just something to consider.

Being new to the forum maybe i have overlooked it. In the urban bug-in scenario of WSHTF how do you plan on dealing with human waste and refuse. I live in a semi rural area and have a well and septic system. I can maintain waste removal as long as i have a generator and have done so during power outages. If power is lost to a city what are the options?

Sanitation is a problem when are water supply is interrupted. Food prep, clothes washing, garbage disposal and waste disposal all need attention. We are really spoiled in this country. The average person produces 3 pints of urine and one pound of feces a day. With larger groups of people the problem can get out of hand quickly. Layering lime, wood ash, and dirt work well in the bucket with a seat set up. Kitty litter works as well. Buckets have to be cleaned daily. Composting is a must. You need to watch out for water drainage. Minimum of 200 yards from a water source. The compost site needs to be dressed with lime/dirt/ash.Bad bacteria can travel 300 feet from the source. Flies and rodents are attracted to these sites and they can in turn contaminate your living space. Hand sanitizer in bulk is recommended. If you want to bag your waste, you can line inside your toilet with the bag and remove as needed. You should have a solid plan.

This little gem may help some of you that have relied on indoor plumbing since you were toilet trained.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/how-...yer/1102342729

IF SHTF

TOO LATE

it has already ever hear a funny noise and then you see things start to crater.

an absolute quiet so intense you could taste it.

If all that read these posts have not taken a real try at prepping I think within a couple of years

at most any one of many events could happen and monetary systems will topple

weather it be a natural or man made event or political unrest or civil wars in oil regions.

I relate it to working in an asylum or prison everything is normal then all hell breaks loose.

were in that odd quiet just before the crap hits the wall or the fan.....